Start by marking “Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace” as Want to Read:

The first book to deal with the problems of communicating to a skeptical, media-blitzed public, Positioning describes a revolutionary approach to creating a "position" in a prospective customer's mind-one that reflects a company's own strengths and weaknesses as well as those of its competitors. Writing in their trademark witty, fast-paced style, advertising gurus Ries and ...more
Published January 3rd 2001 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1980)

Milla Nezlina
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
The whole book can be boiled down to 2 key ideas:
- The brand that gets in the mind of the consumer first wins. Who makes the best soda? Coke! The best small cars? VW with its Beetle! The best round chips? Pringles! Tip: Find a narrow niche and hold it tight!
- Line extension is bad (Xerox producing computers in bad, Chevrolet making small cars is bad, even Pantene producing body foam is bad). Tip to companies: Never stray from the business where you are the leader!

I read the updated edition of
Chad Warner
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Luke Grill
This book tells how to establish a position for your products and company in the minds of prospects. The authors say that the essence of positioning is to make your brand name stand for the generic (e.g., Kleenex).

I like the advice to start with the position you already have (what you’re already known for), and work to improve from there.

It’s mostly applicable to large companies with large advertising budgets, but most principles can apply to smaller businesses. It’s mostly applicable to product
Chris Herdt
Feb 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Prof. Mike Rechtiene
This book feels like it was composed via cell phone text messages. Many of the paragraphs are a single sentence.

The main idea is that you cannot make in-roads in an existing market by attacking the top dog. The top dog, the market leader, will beat you every time. Instead, the authors argue that you have to position your product/company/person in the mind of the consumer, in relation to the market leader. And forcing your idealized position on the mind of the consumer won't work, so your positio
Eric Lin
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
I don't read books about marketing. Ever. It was pretty interesting though, since the trends he describes can definitely be observed in action.

However, Ries raised a lot of red flags with how certain he sounded about his assessments. He says things like, "a better name for product X? *name he just came up with*". Sometimes, he makes these statements without much supporting evidence. Anyway, it wasn't a huge part of the book, but he sounded so sure about everything, and that really off-putting fo
Oleksandr Golovatyi
Крутейшая книга по позиционированию продукта. Очень жалею, раньше ее не прочитал.
Ahmad Badghaish
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
One of the classics in marketing. I believe it’s a concept that should be known by every marketer.
Otis Chandler
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, business
Its old, but its a classic. I was told it's part of the curriculum for Harvard Business school. If you are creating a product or a brand, this is a MUST READ.

Biggest takeaway: you want to create a new category and dominate it. So don't be the 7th biggest social network, be the #1 book focused social network.

People can only remember the top 3 things in any given category. It's a fun exercise actually, start to think of products and try to name as many brands as you can. Oftentimes you can only
Nasos Psarrakos
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was good. Then the last chapter came in, and made it a must read 🤩🤩
Jenny
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This is a good book in need of an update. I read it for a grad school class and while it was interesting in parts, it was very much undergraduate level (Marketing 101) information. The biggest issue I had with it is that every example is out of date. He mentions companies that have now closed down and talks about the great things that they are doing - for example, he talks about how Newsweek is a much better magazine name than Time and will surely be more successful because of it. Since we all k ...more
Shannon
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book to help enhance the growth of my start-up ladies leisurewear brand, Broads. While this book had me engage in a lot of critical thinking about typical product placement and where I would like to see my line in five, ten, and even twenty years from now, I felt as if Positioning was a bit dated and put too much of an emphasis on companies with bold names. I was hoping to learn more about creating a solid position in a marketplace that is difficult to 'break' into.
Andrew
Another 200 page business/marketing book that would have been better published as a pamphlet. There are some great ideas here though, so I can see why its held its classic status.
Sky
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mind Buggling experience as I battle with this book :)
Jorė
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure it's even four stars. I've really struggled through the bigger half of the book, but maybe its just me bored of reading advertising/marketing stories and preferring anything else.
For those who want a short version, there's an old interview "The mind is the ultimate battlefield" with Al Ries - it perfectly served me since the university days and gave a good enough understanding of what the big idea is.
There are certain values of the long read:
- historical overview of marketing lands
Martti
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The brand that gets in the mind of the consumer first wins.

Line extension is bad (Xerox expanding into computers with the same product name "Xerox" is not recommended). “One name can’t stand for two distinctly different products. When one goes up, the other goes down.” The more products hung on a brand name, the less meaning the name has to the average consumer.

How to establish a position for your products and company in the minds of prospects. The authors say that the essence of positioning is
Nathan Maharaj
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy-mba
The opening chapters are very blowhardy: I nearly threw down the book in disgust. But when the authors finally get going they're golden (if fairly dated). Their insights on how brands convey meaning, especially how they fail to carry all the meaning companies intend them to when they create line extensions, all of that stuff is great and makes me want to re-read this in a few years (or maybe grab the audiobook) to see how the knowledge has settled. Absolutely essential reading for anybody trying ...more
Adam DuVander
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biz, mbc-selections
A classic whose concepts are covered more succinctly in the authors’ follow up Immutable Laws of Marketing. There are more detailed examples here, but it suffers from even more dated company and trend references (drugs and airlines that haven’t existed since the 70s, a positioning plan for a Western Union service, and hailing cable TV as the next great frontier).

I want to applaud the concepts, which I think are timeless. But I keep getting tripped up by the ancient references.
Scott Wozniak
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book talks about how to stand out in an overcrowded field--and it's not by merely being good at what you do. Yes, you have to be excellent. But there are many others who are excellent as well. He talks about "finding the hole" where others are not (e.g. the masculine-style perfume for women, Charlie). Or by deliberately playing off of the brand position of another (e.g. Jamaica as the Hawaii of the Caribbean). He shares about the power of a clear name and the trap of line extension.

It's a s
MP
May 31, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mrt-crt, 2017, 2018
Back to work.
-----------
Vừa thích và vừa không thích.

Định vị là mảng thể hiện sự hoang tửởng lý tưởng của cá nhân m và đồng đội nhất, flow high nhiều ideas lắm, tưởng dễ ăn lắm nhưng sụp hố như chơi, nên quyết tâm phải trùng tụ phần này.

Nửa đầu sách khá hay, các ví dụ và lí luận, định nghĩa, suy nghĩ của tác giả m cực kỳ thích. Take note ào ào để sau này có lý tranh luận vs đồng đội.

Nửa phần sau, hữu ích có, thuyết phục chỉ 1 phần, nhưng dài lê thê và vẫn khiến m băn khoăn ko biết liệu có thực t
Tom McInnes
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is, like so many books of its type, a very good pamphlet with about 170 pages of unnecessary examples.
JFN
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In my job, there's some downtime. It's feast or famine writing. So our superiors have requested that in these periods of nothingness we delve into some reading with the goal of honing some sort of skills, i.e., professional development. Ok. Fine. Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind is one of the books on our list.

This is certainly not a book I would have ever picked up on my own, and I've yet to determine if it's made an impression on me. Hmmmmm. Well, yeah, I guess it has a little bit. Some p
Jan Peczkis
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inadvertent Clues as To How to the Holocaust Became Dominant, and Remains Dominant, in the American Mind, Over All Other Genocides

Although this book [my review based on the 2001 edition] is centered on the selling of products and services, the authors realize that the principles have much broader application. They write, “If it works in advertising, most likely it will work in politics, religion, or any other activity that requires mass communication…Or any form of human activity which involves
Chung Chin
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: becoming-smarter
I agree with other reviewers who commented that the book is in a need of an update - urgently.

I also didn't particularly enjoy the book because of:
1. The style of writing.
The staccato-styled writing is very distracting for me. Of course, I understand that this is a personal grouch.
2. Repetition on the importance of being first and a very good name.
What happens to those that are not first to market? While there's a section that explains how to position as a follower, I feel that the book is E
Rum P. H. Shaker
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
True to this book's title Ries and Trout deliver their strategy and tactics for "positioning" the mind of consumer or prospect. Anyone can "position" anything from merchandise, service, company, or oneself. The book goes into heavy introduction about the entire concept of "positioning". It answers who, what, when, where, and most importantly why this concept is so important.

I like that the book is constructed in a textbook style, where PAR (Problem, Action, and Result) statements are given to s
Ali Bagheri
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
هر وقت از من بخواهند یا خودم بخواهم به زور در رابطه با کتابی نظر بدهم میگویم خوب بود. بد بود. بامزه بود، عجب نثری داشت و به همین ترتیب. این آقا هم کلا اولین بار مفهوم پوزیشنینگ را مطرح کرده همین طوری از تبلیغ ها و رویکردهای شرکت ها صحبت می کند. مثلا سونآپ استراتژی خوبی داشت برای مقابله با کوکاکولا و پپسی ولی بعدش خراب کرد. باید در بازار اول باشید و گرنه هیچ کس شما را یادش نمی ماند. اگر در بازار اول نیستید چیزی در بازار پیدا کنید که بتوانید اول باشید. آخر کتابش هم که شبیه گفت و گوست شش تا اصل گفت ...more
Jeff Kinsey
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Answer this: do more people have automotive batteries bought at JC Penney or Sears? You do know that the DieHard brand is from Sears, right?

This just made the "must read" book list for Main Street Startups. I bought it in May 1996. Studied it again at length in July 2010. And now again, December 2011.

Recently I did several presentations on the Four Ps of Marketing Mix and brought my attention back to this classic Ries & Trout text. The examples are simply engaging. If you are serious about y
Dean Millson
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
An oldie but certainly a goodie. It would be interesting to have this rewritten with today's companies in mind, however the general principals here still ring true. The key takeaway for me here was a not so subtle reminder of just how important a name is when it comes to successful branding & positioning. You'll always be coming from a long way back if you're having to continually compensate for a product or company name that's not right for your position.
Santhosh
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
TarasProkopyuk
Эта как и другие книги Траута и Райса очень основательно проработана. Авторы молодцы и прописали в книге множество золотых правил и предупредили от всевозможных ошибок.

Хотя в некоторых моментах я лично не согласен и готов поспорить с авторами, но всё-таки в целом считаю эту книгу довольно хорошей.
Randall
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
It turns your head around, forcing you to think outside-in. It's not about what your product is, it's about how they perceive it. It's not what you say, it's how they get it.
From positioning a candy bar, a bank, a country or the church, the book presents the basic principles for doing it.
Examples are insightful although because it's a classic, they are a little old. Nevertheless a great book.
Tomaž Hribernik
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The battle between brands takes place in the prospects mind. This book is marketing classic where the authors showcase isights, strategies, example of both successful and unsuccessful positioning of services, brands, products such as Coke, Duracell, Xerox...they even go about how to position a country.
Southbourne Positive Living Group - 5 Tips on How to Create Prosperity without Money 1 3 Feb 23, 2017 07:00PM
Next Book To read Found INTERESTING ! 1 11 May 07, 2014 12:06AM
FULL Creative Lib...: Positioning 1 6 Mar 05, 2014 11:11AM
  • Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Lovemarks
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Don't Just Roll the Dice - a usefully short guide to software pricing
  • Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing Out of Sync?
  • Growing a Business
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Republic of Tea: The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
Al Ries is a marketing professional and author. He is also the co-founder and chairman of the Atlanta-based consulting firm Ries & Ries with his partner and daughter, Laura Ries. Along with Jack Trout, Ries coined the term "positioning", as related to the field of marketing, and authored Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind, an industry standard on the subject.
Ries graduated from DePauw Unive
“The basic approach of positioning is not to create something new and different, but to manipulate what's already up there in the mind, to retie the connections that already exist.” 3 likes
“The mind, as a defense against the volume of today’s communications, screens and rejects much of the information offered it. In general, the mind accepts only that which matches prior knowledge or experience.” 2 likes