Start by marking “RESTful Web Services Cookbook” as Want to Read:
RESTful Web Services Cookbook

RESTful Web Services Cookbook

While the REST design philosophy has captured the imagination of web and enterprise developers alike, using this approach to develop real web services is no picnic. This cookbook includes more than 100 recipes to help you take advantage of REST, HTTP, and the infrastructure of the Web. You'll learn ways to design RESTful web services for client and server applications that ...more
Published March 11th 2010 by Yahoo Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about RESTful Web Services Cookbook, please sign up.
Jeremy Boyd I'd definitely read "RESTful Web Services" first, because you need an understanding of basic REST principles before this book is very useful.

Miloš Milivojević
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
An example of a book that hasn't aged too well - while most of the advice is still sound, most of it is now common knowledge. Also, some recipes are too dated for today's RESTful ecosystem, especially the reliance on Atom and XML. But all in all, an okay read, especially considering the publication date.
Jason
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: webdev
A solid reference for anyone designing, implementing, and integrating web services. May be a bit dry, but helpful for this generation of developers!
Charles
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource for anyone designing or building a RESTful web API! It is extremely well written and concise considering the amount of material covered. The overall layout and flow of the book is surprisingly good too, considering it takes a "cookbook" style format. I ended up reading it cover to cover, re-referencing items as needed. The choice of topics covered are very well thought out too, and the descriptions of the problems and solutions in each topic are just as good. I ...more
Sumit
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is not an introduction to REST. But if you are already aware of what REST is, and are looking for a set of solutions to implement it, this is a book you must own. Practical and useful, this is definitely a practitioners handbook. The only drawback (in my view) is that the examples are mostly in AtomPub, rather than in JSON or XML.
Michael Koltsov
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a great collection of recipes to cook your web services. Unfortunately it's a bit outdated, but from my perspective most of its parts are still relevant. It's sort of a book that's easy to read and easy to comprehend, i would recommend it to anyone who strives to build robust and scalable web apps.

My score 4/5
Dave
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My experience with this book was similar to that described in Charles Bihis' review. I also read it cover to cover, and have found it useful for foundational reference. I highly recommend this introduction to RESTful web services for software engineers.
Sridhar Jammalamadaka
Go to book for RESTful web services. As the book claims, it is a cookbook. Useful as a reference while developing RESTful Web Services. I liked the chapters on Security and Caching.
Artur Sabirov
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Too much XML
Brett Dargan
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
practical advice, good rationale.
Artur Gadelshin
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one is a very useful book, which describe pragmatic REST concept.
Carlos
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: software engineers
Recommended to Carlos by: colleague
I'm still reading this, but I think this should be essential reading for anyone writing or designing a remote API.
Dwight Walker
Jan 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • RESTful Web Services
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications, Volume II
  • Functional Programming in Scala
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »