Start by marking “Vampireology: The True History of the Fallen Ones (Ologies, #9)” as Want to Read:
Vampireology: The True History of the Fallen Ones (Ologies, #9)

Vampireology: The True History of the Fallen Ones

(Ology #9)

Explore (if you dare) the true history of the Fallen Ones — and follow the fate of a 1920s investigator lured by a beauty with violet eyes.

Long before the term vampire was born, long before Bram Stoker fictionalized this being’s ways, blood-drinking demons were banished to Earth by Michael’s host of Angels, or so the Bible describes. Now this rich, mesmerizing resource, wr
Published May 11th 2010 by Candlewick (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vampireology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampireology

Joey Woolfardis
I have thoroughly enjoyed previous Ology books from the entire series and there has always been something particularly lovely or endearing about each one, but Vampireology really falls short of the rest of them.

It had great illustrations and the ideas and "facts" are amusing enough, but really I didn't like that entire ensemble. It felt a little rushed and a bit too made up, with no great care taken to really explore Vampires but instead just sell books. I realise I'm asking too much there, but
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vampires
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Eric Northman
Vampires have been living among us for a lot longer than we have noticed them that in myth and reality may suggest; longer since we have coined their term, vampire, was used; longer than before Bram Stoker fictionalized a vampiric supernatural, a demonic evil godless blood-drinker.
Contained within this rich, mesmerizing compendium, penned in 1900, it is interspersed with booklets, flaps, and letters between a young paranormal researcher who discovered the book in the 1920s and an oddly alluring
Penelope
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was very creepy.Anyone who gets scared easily should most defenintly only read this book if they are sure that they want nightmares.
Anna
Not the best of the ology series, but not the worst.

The illustrations were gorgeous and the layout of the book fantastic. The story was pretty good as well. But I thought the made-up history of vampires to be weak. It's never really clear how one is able to know a vampire by sight, and the three types are generally just confusing. Plus, it was rather silly to believe that characters such as Greek gods, Attila the Hun, and Montezuma II were actually vampires. The book just claimed they were witho
Samantha
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is probably my least favourite book in the Ology series. The information didn't seem to be as well researched as some of the other books, and the subject matter didn't particularly interest me.

I would still recommend this to people with an interest in vampires, but otherwise I would give it a miss.
Cipryan
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fascinating encyclopedia...
Lateef Amodu
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is designed as a manuscript, written by a vampire slayer (referred to as a “Protector”) named Archibald Brooks. Brooks wrote this book as a practical guide for prospective Protectors. The book contains information on the origins of vampires, their appearance, their behaviour, how to identify them, weapons and tools used to kill them and more. The premise is the author (Archibald Brooks) is dead, before his death he sends this book to his fried, private detective, Joshua T. Kraik. Throu ...more
S.S.
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently bought this book because ... well for a couple of reasons! I already have the Dragonology book in this series in both English and German. I bought the English copy and I was actually gifted the German copy by a friend (who, bizarrely enough, is German!) I enjoyed it because I really love dragons and then I got to know that there was more in the series. I wanted the Vampirology book because I'm nuts about vampires as well. (that's the second reason.) I'm glad I bought this book because ...more
Holly
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Forewarning: if you haven't read any of the "ology" books, than know that these are not meant to be taken as historical documents of how vampires have been perceived throughout the centuries. Everything is made up.

While I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Dragonology and Monsterology books, it was still a good read, although, like others have said, the author didn't put much time into making it as quirky and fun as the others.
The book is littered with little letters, notes, flaps, pictures,
Kristopher Godwin
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. A fiction book on vampires written as if it was a journal on vampires made by a vampire hunter, to instruct in the "history" of vampires and how to fight them, is a very fun read. I was unsure if I should give it three stars or not because there were some ways it could have been better, and somethings kind of went against historical reality when it should have flowed with in a better way, but on the over all it was a pretty good read.
Lily Martinez-rios
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great. Cute book
Sammy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2017
Cute.

A lift-the-flap book for teens/adults. Looks great, cleverly done, but not exactly serious reading. It killed an hour at work yesterday...
Margret
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, well presented book. I love the way it looks like a scrapbook. It's a fun read.
Charissa Ty
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book would make a really sick theme park ride. I love interactive books. Worth being a collectable.
Rosyel Sawali
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I find it truly interesting. Read it out of curiosity and quite enjoyed the format by which it was presented. I'm eager to check out the other Ologies books after reading this one.
Monster
Vampireology is a guide to vampires ostensibly written by Archibald Brooks, a Protector, or slayer of vampires. It covers a great deal of ground, from their biblical origins, to the passing of their curse, to powers, vulnerabilities, and even their historical animosity toward werewolves and the Protector. When Brooks is murdered, presumably by vampires, the guide goes to his successor, Joshua Kraik, a private detective, who adds his own personal notes. Every page of the book has foldouts of Krai ...more
Timmy De Leon
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've learned so much about vampires after reading this book. From their beginning, the vampires in history, the powers of a vampire, methods of identifying a vampire, protecting yourself, how to destroy a vampire, and Dracula.

Let me share some of what I have learned:
1. Vampires were angels before who tried to defy God, their bodies fell from heaven and landed on earth. They were sometimes called a Fallen One. Those three angels were the Moloch, Ba'al, and Belial.
2. Some of the vampires in histor
Drucilla
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: o
This one is more in the vein of Dragonology and Monsterology in that the majority of the information is made up. However, many historical figures and events are pulled within the book making for an extremely detailed and amazing book. It creates a mythology for vampires that incorporates all the different legends and explains why there are so many. The frame story does a good job of explaning the book and is good but the information itself is the draw here. If you are a fan of vampires, even if ...more
Amanda
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the Ology series!

Once you open the cover you can’t help but get lost in the beauty of this epic world of the undead. The creators put so much effort into making Vampireology, that I am stunned with how much there is to explore and discover (there are even a few hidden laughs in there). On top of the splendor, there is a fantastic story that absolutely captivates you.
Melanie Fair
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was a quick read; not quite as good as "Vampyre", but I digress. Since I'm already pretty firmly set in my own vampire styles, it was hard to read this objectively. It did have some interesting "facts" though, and I learned a couple of things...which is a big deal if you knew how much research I've done on them.
Kim
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vampire fans
Shelves: teens, fantasy
A fun take on the vampire myth, as told by the "Protectors" or slayers.

I enjoyed this book, with its pop-up-like additions, the notes, the little pieces collected over the centuries and placed in the book. It was quite fun to read.
Rita
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-five-stars
This book is one of my favorites among the 'ology' series. Like most of the ologies, along with the so-called 'facts', there is a story to go along with it. Both the 'facts' and the story were very interesting. I would like to recommend this to anyone who is interested in mythology or fantasy.
Jessica Fure
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
My rating is based primarily on the art - I can't really judge the text well, as it's a children's book (I think I would have enjoyed it when I was in the suggested reading range, but who's to say now?) - however, the art is freaking brilliant.
Katie
Very interesting take on vampires. I like the style and art.
I am reading the excerpts from the calendar and the little additional content is fun. Mostly it's great inspiration for writing about vampires.
Jo
Presented as a journal left by a private detective, this book sets out to inform the reader of the danger of The Fallen Ones. I think I would've liked this more if I was a teenage girl who thought that sparkly vampires were, like, so totally rad.
Bri
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
this book was really great with a lot of different features and pop-outs!
Elsa
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun!--the folklore is pretty accurate too.
Stefanie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting. The format is fun.
Rebecca Johnson
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun read! In the vein of Nick Bantock -- this fantasy is interactive. You open letters an play with this book. Really fun.
Autumn
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
It's all about presentation. This is fun to read, because it is filled with notes and little flaps to look under and busy things to keep anyone entertained.

• Spyology (Ologies, #7)
  • Mythology (Ologies, #5)
  • Illusionology (Ologies, #11)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Dinosaurology (Ologies, #12)
  • Dragonology: Bringing Up Baby Dragons
  • Flower Fairies of the Trees
  • Legendele Olimpului Vol 1: Zeii
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Man-Of-War
  • The Old Man and the Bureaucrats
  • High Stakes & Hunted (Vampire Beach, #5-6)
  • Vampyre
  • Codul bunelor maniere astăzi
  • The Secrets of High Magic
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Liking Herself, Even on the Bad Days: The Secrets to Trusting Yourself, Being Your Best & Never Letting the Bad Days Bring You Down
  • Akbaba

Ology (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dragonology (Ologies, #1)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Wizardology (Ologies, #3)
  • Pirateology (Ologies, #4)
  • Mythology (Ologies, #5)
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Spyology (Ologies, #7)
  • Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus (Ologies, #8)
  • Alienology (Ologies, #10)
  • Illusionology (Ologies, #11)