Start by marking “Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator

Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator

Covers every aspect of the negotiating process with practical, proven advice: from beginning steps to critical final moves.
Published November 1st 2000 by Career Press (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Power Negotiating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Power Negotiating

Start your review of Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
Alexander
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Do yourself a favor. Next time instead of a lunch break, go to the bookstore and find this book. Simply go through each chapter and at the end of most chapters, there are a list of bullet points that summarize the chapter's ideas.

There are 50 some chapters, but not every chapter has a bullet point list and not ever chapter is applicable (e.g., negotiation methods of Americans). I can't imagine this taking more than 45 minutes to finish.

but... if you have the real time and desire to read this
Nicholas
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Colin
Sep 24, 2009 rated it liked it
At first read, a classic this is not. "Secrets" is a stretch. More like: "Anecdotes that worked once or twice for me, so the approach might work for you. (Just buy my book.)"

This book definitely does not instantly create a power negotiator. The author's approach and recommendations seem ineffective and, sometimes, crass.

That said, I'm willing to give them a shot. I will let you know if they work. Anyone want to buy a 2004 Honda Civic?
K.M. Weiland
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although decidedly geared toward its obvious target audience of professional negotiators, the book offers a wealth of valuable information for anyone. Every chapter offers at least one point of value, although the early chapters do feel like they’re belaboring their points some. But then the book veers away from traditional negotiating wisdom into the fascinating realm of criminal negotiators and even (my favorite bit) the differing mindsets and mores of various nationalities. It ends with an ...more
John Knox
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: practicalreading
Read this book and you'll probably end up with a very different view of negotiation. Some things, like the "silent close" are quite difficult to actually implement -- but are crazy powerful.

I was amazed at how difficult it is to actually ask for what you want. Social norms make it hard to ask for money, but practice makes it easier.

If you want easy cash try this trick I discovered. When you're getting work done on your car, ask for a "customer loyalty discount". Worked every time! Magic free
Aasim Waheed
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is mainly about the "tactics" of negotiation, "gambits" as Roger calls them. Some of them are useful too. But if were to pick a single book on negotiation, I'd go for "Negotiation Genius" by Malhotra, which has a much bigger scope of coverage.

My rating for this book: 7/10
Franco Arda
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
among the 3 best books on negotation
Alexander Temerev
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite the dubious name, this is a real gem. Can't recommend it enough.
Ulas Tuerkmen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm horrible at negotiating. Whatever price sales people tell me, I'm prone to accepting it, because I just assume that it should be the right price. A friend recommended me this book to overcome this aversion of negotiating, and it turned out to be a really good one. Dawson, who is a corporate trainer in negotiating and related matters,gathers some really impactful tips on the topic, delivered with many anecdotes and in an informal manner.

Dawson gathers his writing around what he calls "power
Melissa
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
As I neared the end of the book, I got increasing frustrated with Dawson and his views of power retention and power loss. Plus he misunderstood Maslow's third step to happiness/fulfillment. It's not the need to be liked as he proposed, but the need to be social, to have people around you. Thus, he is wrong when he says Power Negotiators skip over that step since they don't need to be liked. If anything, they require that step more than anyone else because without people, who would they negotiate ...more
Krys
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Good content, but the pretentious style might prove very challenging to swallow for non-americans. Be prepared to roll your eyes often.
Soheil
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Secrets to Power Negotiation has a simple philosophy: Create a win-win solution out of every negotiation so that all parties involved feel good afterwards. The negotiation process should be fun, like a game of chess. After this game, both players are happy about the fair outcome. They even would like to play again (not out of revenge), but to experience the fun. But just like a game of chess, you need to learn the techniques with which to play the game.

The book offers many techniques which you
Bella
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
Really detailed book about negotiating- spanning from topics about win-win situations, international negotiations, body language, and tons of other subtleties that probably often go unnoticed. I began reading this book with the impression that negotiating is dirty work, requiring dishonesty or stepping on other people’s toes. I learned that while that does happen, it’s not in the essence of power negotiating. They utilize their knowledge to their advantage, are not afraid to ask for more,
Milan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some points from the book
Ask more that you want
bracket your position
always wait for other side to start first
be a reluctant seller or a buyer
never say yes to a first offer
flinch at proposals
the declinening value of service
use the you can do better than that gambit
always congratulate your opponent at the end of negotiating
ask open questions
write the contract yourself
always have the higher authority
use the good guy bad guide
never argue
use time pressure
be prepare to walk away

Tomek
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is an okay book. I was expecting a shorter read but when i saw how many chapters it had my jaw went down south. Dont buy this book as an ebook, it has so much interesting content that you probably will have to read everything a few times. I can highly recommend this book to anyone who works in sales and/or looking to buy a property
Shane Young
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again
Another must-read for everyone. I wish I would have read this when I was younger. So many good gems to learn from and be reminded of. We negotiate every day; why not understand and be skilled in it. These skills can be used in personal and work life. From buying a car to negotiating a pay raise. This book isn't about how to become the winner and the other person becomes the loser; it is about how to make everyone the winner.
Siva Sahoo
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 6th book of the year - This book is a real gem. It gives a different perspective of negotiation along with different tactics. Even though some points are quite hard to practice, but they are too powerful ones. A must-read for sure.
Mark Manderson
I found this info pretty rudimentary however was worth a quick listen.
Top takeaways:
Always flinch at the initial price.
Always ask for more than you want so the other person can get a win when you drop the price.
Ethan Hulbert
I thought this was a great book, and I definitely got some serious value out of it. Really helped me out. I think the best part of this book is that the advice is directly actionable, not just vague and "inspirational" wash. I liked it so much I bought a couple more from Mr. Dawson too.
Summonshr
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It did deal with negotiation tactic, but later parts were related to country based which I did not like very much. But all in all, it was good read until those part came in.
Matheu
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Veers into irrelevant filler after about the halfway mark
Allan Laal
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
for all those, who think sales is icky and unethical
sprinkle.your.sparkle
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful books which I've read. You can and should apply the tactics in any type of communication setting to reach a win win!
Felipe
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book for those who want..

For those who want to become power negotiators this book explains the most important skills to develop. I recommend this book
Alvaro Berrios
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really insightful stuff. Dives deep into the psychology of the negotiating process. I would qualify this as a must-read for anyone who wants to improve on their negotiation skills.
Łukasz Wysocki
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Together with getting to yes, to avoid bias toward you spoiling the relationship (even thou author states he wants to avoid it, getting to yes does a better job on that front).
Lindsey Mao
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
super old school, mostly applies to business. But I will definitely reread if I need more tips. I got a handful of small practical tips
TM Harris
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Upgrade my skill to negotiate everythink to the other
Andrej Hribernik
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good book on negotiating with practical real-life examples.
Ridho
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
very useful to understand whats going on the negotiation, so you can decide the best way to react
« previous 1 3 next »

• Getting Past No: Negotiating in Difficult Situations
  • The Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient  Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built
  • How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
  • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
Roger Dawson is one of the country’s top experts on the art of negotiating—SUCCESS Magazine calls him “America’s Premier Business Negotiator.” As a full-time speaker since 1982, Roger has travelled the world to teach business leaders how to improve their profits using his Power Negotiating techniques. He resides in La Habra Heights, California.