Start by marking “Zombie in Love” as Want to Read:

Zombie in Love

(Zombie in Love #1)

Tall, dead & handsome
If you like taking walks in the graveyard
and falling down in the rain
horror film, and voodoo,
and I'm dying to meet you!
Mortimer is looking for love. And he’s looking everywhere! He’s worked out at the gym (if only his arm wouldn’
Published August 23rd 2011 by Atheneum

Start your review of Zombie in Love
Carmen
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Recommended to Carmen by: New York Times Book Review
TALL, DEAD, & HANDSOME

If you like taking walks in the graveyard
and falling down in the rain.
horror films, and voodoo,

Saturday, Cupid's Ball,
Punch Bowl, 7:00 P.M.

Mortimer is lonely.

He lives resides in his house with his rotting pet dog and his little army of worms, but he longs for more... female companionship.

Women just seem to be repulsed and fri
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Zombie in Love. Do I need to say more? Haha… Look at that title and cover! It says “Laura” all over it! :D

Mortimer, our zombie hero, is determined to find love. A girl or ghoul to spend his un-dead days with. He’s tried it all—from gifts to personal ads with no luck. But his tender, open, slightly moldy heart is determined to meet his sweetheart at the Cupid’s Ball. With silly, sweet, clever zombie humor and fun, Mortimer’s search for love will hit your funny bone and heart.

I have to share his
Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Mildred was drop-dead gorgeous."

Mortimer was certain to meet the girl of his dreams and why not? After all, he had read all the books and done all the research.

Love at the first bite is exactly how zombies' love stories would end or should I say begin?

Loved the illustrations and the efforts Mortimer took.
Erica
I don't like zombies and I don't much care for love, but maybe it's the whole "two negatives make a positive" thing that made me adore this book. I especially like the worms. They made me giggle.

Update:
Dec. 4, 2014
OMG!
I just found out they had a baby! Or, more likely, STOLE a baby because, come on, making a baby when all the reproductive parts are dead is going to be difficult.
Zombie in Love 2 + 1
Meredith Holley
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ceridwen's girl
Recommended to Meredith by: A book fairy
This is such a great book, but weird at the same time. On the one hand, It’s kind of depressing to read, over and over, how much more successful than me the undead are at romantic relationships. On the other hand, this guy really does try harder than me, so I shouldn’t complain, and this is a sweet book. But, back on the first hand, it’s a sweet picture book for kids about a zombie, sooooo . . . Do we really want to be teaching our children about how endearing zombies are? I ask you.

No, I do not
Mariah Roze
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
My students LOVED this story! They thought the illustrations were hilarious and that the book was written similar to a graphic novel.
Amy Yingling
Mortimer is one of the living dead, basically, he's a zombie who's looking for love. Mortimer really tries to get a girl but it is hard for him to appeal to those girls, the living ones that is. So Mortimer puts an ad in the newspaper looking for love to meet up on Saturday at the Cupid's Ball. Poor Mortimer he waits and he waits and when it seems that all is lost there is Mildred, another zombie, laying sprawled out on the floor because her leg fell off. It was love at first sight and I'm prett ...more
Abigail
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Enjoy Gross Humor
Mortimer is a lonely zombie looking for love in this humorous picture-book monstrosity. Although he does everything just right, and according to the book of advice he has read - he offers girls chocolates, hearts and rings - nothing seems to work. Then he places an advertisement in the newspaper, hoping that special someone will find him at Cupid's Ball. Will he find his true love, or is Mortimer doomed to an eternity alone...?

I will confess that of all the ghosts and ghouls popular in the monst
Deirdre
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deirdre by: Amy
I loved this children's book! The story and pictures were both super cute (zombie-cute, of course). I especially enjoyed the clever details in the illustrations--like our zombie hero's cute skeletal dog, candlesticks sticking out of brains, and worms playing cards in the corner of a scene. Sometime this summer, I plan to attempt the adult zombie romance novel Dearly, Departed--but I have a feeling it will not be as entertaining as Zombie in Love. :) ...more
Mark
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though it is funny in a quirky way, I am not sure whether this book is suitable for children below 10 years old.

Parents need to know that this sweet, silly zombie love story has gruesome elements suited to the subject matter: worms, severed limbs, a detached heart, a severed finger, a plate of eyeballs, a keyboard made of finger bones, and a picnic in a graveyard with brain as the entree.

The pictures are somehow cute, but once again, parents should be aware that the story and pictures might be
The Styling Librarian
Wow, I understand why this won the awards it did. Fantastic. Cannot wait to share it with my students. Zombies.. brain eating... limbs falling off... love story... what isn't to enjoy about that? Of course my 5 year old turning the pages and saying "ew" was also terrific. I just love this series, I’m DYING to share it with kids… Happy to add to the collection, especially with the zombies the kids already deal with in all their computer games!
Brigitte Chick
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite part was when they had a picnic in the graveyard and ate brain cake.
Jon Nakapalau
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes...even zombies are looking for love. But sometimes you can look in the wrong places and get frustrated. But just remember: there is 'zomebody' out there for everyone! (Sorry...that was so bad!)
Kimberly
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute!

This zombie wants love in his life so bad. It has a happy ending! I liked that the little worms and dog followed him around everywhere!
thuy
Mortimer is a lonely zombie looking for love. He tries everything he can think of to impress the ladies - from a box of delicious worms, a diamond ring fresh from the grave and even offers up a heart (newly deceased), but nothing works. What’s a ghoul supposed to do? Mortimer decides puts a personal ad in the local paper in the hopes that the perfect girl will see it. But does Mortimer’s dream girl show up at Cupid’s Ball or is Mortimer doomed to stalk the earth alone?

I LOVE Zombie in Love! My
Alicia
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved it. Cute, funny and original. Mortimer tries and tries to find love, but the girls just don't seem to like him. Mortimer's zombie grossness is tempered by the soft watercolor illustrations, as well as his genuine sweetness, and little readers will have hope for him. They will also have fun noticing details in the artwork, and laughing out loud at Mortimer's efforts (and some failures). I just can't wait to read this for a storytime. It would be especially good for Valentine's Day or Hallow ...more
Donna Gephart
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Zombie in Love combines my favorite things -- humor, fun horror, a great story and terrific artwork.

Scott Campbell's illustrations are fabulous. My favorite is the one that follows these words: "Each time a girl approached the table, Mortimer would smile. Like this:" (It's a hilarious closeup of Mortimer's face.) Campbell's illustrations add much humor to the already fun, funny and poignant text.

I became familiar with Kelly DiPucchio's books when I discovered Grace for President, and I've been
Julia
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I went to the bookstore today and saw this and couldn't help but buying it for my niece (I have no idea if she'll like it but I think its hysterical).

TALL, DEAD, & HANDSOME
If you like taking walks in the graveyard
and falling down in the rain.
horror films, and voodoo,
and I'm dying to meet you!

Life is lonely for Mortimer the zombie and he is doing everything he can to meet a
Penny Ramirez
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Janet, KimD, Lisa
An utterly charming story of Mortimer, a zombie who just wants to find his true love. Scott Campbell's illustrations are amazing - his attention to the smallest details adds so much to the few words. My favorites were his dog and worm companions (especially the one in the hat), and of course the zombie version of the Pina Colada song.

Very much looking forward to Zombie 2 + 1. May be adding this to my personal book collection!
Donalyn
Hilarious and weirdly touching book about Mortimer, a lonely zombie looking for love. Many jokes and puns hidden in the illustrations-- Mortimer shops for a new suit (at a funeral home), goes to the gym (and leaves a limb on the free weights), and so on.
Amy
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Oh, dear, the kids were cracking up at this one! Very cute, very funny, surprisingly touching, and fun pictures! I never expected to feel sympathetic toward a zombie, but Mortimer just gets under your skin.
Melissa
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
You know, this is so not my book...but it is really, really well done.
Tenille Shade
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Super cute book to read on Valentine's Day. The word play is engaging, and the kids would get a kick out of the illustrations.
Pio Perez
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gruesomely cute. I think, this is the perfect thing to say about this book.
Courtney
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Aw, poor Mortimer! He's lonely, and all he wants is somebody to love.
I get you Mortimer, I get you.
Julie W
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read this to several classes in the school library and didn't get tired of it. Fun book with a clever story of a Zombie finding his sweetheart. Cute illustrations.
Angela Mazon
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on impulse. I wanted a change of pace and this book gave me the change that I want. I've read it less than five minutes.
Lata
Kind of silly and cute story of a zombie looking for love.
Richie Partington
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
31 May 2011 ZOMBIE IN LOVE by Kelly DiPucchio and Scott Campbell, ill, Atheneum, August 2011, 32p., ISBN: 978- 1-4424-0270-6

"Turn your heartache right into joy
Cause she's a girl and you're a boy"
-- Stephen Stills, "Love the One You're With"

When Tony Bennett sang about leaving his heart in San Francisco, he didn't mean it literally. But if you can get a kick out of imagining him having done so (literally), you're on your way to appreciating the wealth of hilarious sight gags -- many involving
Kathryn Cunningham
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mortimer the zombie is just dying to make a love connection. But he's not just sitting around sighing over a bowl of stale eyeballs, he's studying up, he's doing the work. He's giving gifts and writing poems. So what if the fancy box of chocolates he offers the charming young lady at the bus stop is riddled with worms? Is it such a big deal that the diamond ring he presents his favorite waitress at the diner has a finger attached to it? Why aren't the ladies responding to Mortimer's romantic ove ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • The Remember Balloons
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • Mission Defrostable
Kelly is the award-winning author of several children’s books, thousands of To-Do lists, and a few recipe cards. Two of her books, Grace For President and The Sandwich Swap, were New York Times bestsellers.

Like most kids who grew up in the 1970’s, Kelly had a pet goat and bought all her clothes from the Sears catalog. Like most teenagers who grew up in the 1980’s, Kelly had really big glasses and

Zombie in Love (2 books)