Start by marking “The Lion (John Corey, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Lion (John Corey, #5)

The Lion

(John Corey #5)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  27,330 ratings  ·  1,178 reviews
In this follow-up to The Lion's Game, John Corey, former NYPD Homicide detective and special agent for the Anti-Terrorist Task Force, is back. And, unfortunately for Corey, so is Asad Khalil, the notorious Libyan terrorist otherwise known as "The Lion." Last we heard from him, Khali had claimed to be defecting to the US only to unleash the most horrific reign of terrorism ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, please sign up.
Rob Sammi, I would read within the series. You will get a little more out of it.

·  27,330 ratings  ·  1,178 reviews

Start your review of The Lion (John Corey, #5)
Kemper
Aug 04, 2010 rated it liked it
The following is a transcript of a phone intercept recorded June 8, 2003. The first subject is John Corey, former NYPD detective and current contract agent for the FBI & NYPD’s joint Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The second subject is Asad Khalil (a/k/a The Lion), currently wanted internationally for multiple acts of terrorism and murder.

John Corey: Hello.

Asad Khalil: John, it’s Asad Khalil. Do you remember me?

JC: Asad! How could I forget? You killed more people than cancer when you got inside
Shannon
This book is awesome. If only all fiction flowed this fast then truly would I be in Heaven. Step into the world of John Corey, all time smartass NYC detective who has a quip for every moment and who seems to always manage to solve the most difficult of cases. We were first introduced to him in PLUM ISLAND in which he was recovering from three bullet wounds and on disability leave. Of course, Corey can't keep his nose out of things like any good detective and goes on to investigate a matter ...more
Wanda
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I ordered this to listen to on a trip to visit my kids. I'm chagrined that I wasted the time to listen to this catastrophe of a book. The story is predictable, there is no character development, and no suspense. It is the literary equivalent of reality TV.
This is a tiresome and dated book with the usual prototype smart-alec protagonist oozing with testosterone and whose mouth and sarcastic repartee got on my nerves as did his extreme vulgarity. I mean, I am all for realism, but people - at
Sue
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nelson DeMille’s latest effort "The Lion", combines humor and violence with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

The Lion is the sequel to DeMille’s The Lion’s Game, published in 2000, which pitted retired NYC Detective John Corey against Libyan terrorist Asad Khalil, also known as The Lion. In this second installment, Khalil is back in the US three years after his last
AH
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you haven’t yet read The Lion's Game, you really should read it before you read this book. You don’t have to, but it will be a much more satisfying read if you do. The Lion continues the story of John Corey, a New York City homicide police officer who is now working on the Joint Terrorism Task force and his nemesis the uber-terrorist and all out psychotic scary guy, Asad Khalil.

At the end of The Lion’s Game (sorry for the mild spoiler) John and Khalil have a standoff. They both vow to kill
Beth
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent audiobook narrated by Scott Brick. Scott also interviews the Author at the end of the book.
Rex Fuller
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
John Corey, the main character in DeMille’s primary series, jumped out at me from among the collection of short mysteries published in 2017 entitled Matchup. His wisecracking, anti-PC attitude, lightning quick mind, and basic humanity, struck chords with me. So much so, that I read the first book of the series, Plum Island, and then steamed straight through all of the rest of them.

The Lion (Corey book 5). Asad (the “lion”) Khalil returns to fulfill his dual psychotic revenge upon the pilots who
Giovanni Gelati
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Right from the start I just want to say that this novel ROCKED for me. John Carey is a fun character and I am glad to have discovered him finally. I know, where have I been and why haven’t I read his work before? Chalk it up to one of life’s little mysteries. I have seen the movie The General’s Daughter and enjoyed it; I have the novel on my- to read- list now. The beauty of the whole thing is that this is what I enjoy about the different websites we are a part of, finding new stuff to read, the ...more
Barbara
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book by DeMille. I wish he published a book every week. I just can't get enough.
Sue
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jay Connor
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
In a summer of great, long awaited sequels (at least 10 years from original) -- see my reviews of Linda Greenlaw's "Seaworthy" and Scott Turow's "Innocent" -- Nelson DeMille's sequel to the 2000 "The Lion's Game" (reviewed earlier this summer), is a brutal disappointment.

In fact, "The Lion" only got its second star because of a wonderfully written, over the top, original skydiving scene.

Much of what served DeMille so well in the first installment failed or was dropped in this go 'round. The
Dorsi
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite in this series! I absolutely LOVED this one. As I have stated in my reviews from other books in this series, I have read these completely out of order. That is not the norm for me. I have one more to read in this series. I hope that DeMille writes more of these because I cannot get enough of John Corey. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. Great plot, great characters (good guys & the scariest, most psycho villian), & excellent style. Fantastic delivery by ...more
Tim Chamberlain
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Written for the KAZI Book Review (http://kazibookreview.wordpress.com/):

Nelson DeMille’s latest effort combines humor and violence (not necessarily in that order) with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

Corey
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Damn, this book was intense! The Lion is the follow-up to The Lion's Game, and takes place 3 years later and The Lion (AKA Asad Khalil) is a ruthless Arabian Terrorist who has returned to America to kill John Corey out of revenge for ruining his plans 3 years ago. When I found out that this was a follow-up to The Lion's Game I just wanted to skip Nightfall and Wild Fire and go right to this book to find out what happens next, but I chose to read them in order so I wouldn't be lost.

One thing I'll
Wendy Ballard
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nelson DeMille can write. He gives just the right amount of technical information and back story to make his books satisfying reads.

John Corey is back. He and Kate Mayfield (his wife) may finally get their chance to find The Lion who they think is back in the States and ready for more revenge.

Read these books in order so you can enjoy watching John Corey grow as a character. When recurring characters are done well, it's easy to get wrapped up in their stories. Corey joins my list that includes
Kelly ...
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, spy
The Lion is a sequel to the first book I read by DeMille, The Lion's Game. In this one we reencounter the same antagonist. John Corey's life was threatened in the earlier book -- by one of the world's most wanted terrorists. In this one John gets his man. The story is strong, just like the previous three. DeMille is really good at building tension, and does so while showing lots of humor. It is a great combination.
Dana
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good.
Lorna Beecroft
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will be looking for the rest of the books in this series. The subject matter is quite dark but it is so well written, and I really love the humorous side of John Corey, the protagonist. The only down side, and ergo the 4 star rating is that he has more of his religious beliefs coming into the book now, which, frankly, I could do without. The whole "pray for him/her/them/me" thing and god's will sentiment is just not something I need in a book.
Hunter Satterfield
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Book five in the John Corey series and this was my least favorite of them. Especially following up on what was a fantastic book four. In this book Corey and Asad Khalil finally face off against each other again, but unfortunately the remainder of the book leading up to the climax is pretty bland. It also doesn't help that Khalil is a vicious killer, but very boring enemy character. Still worthwhile read with great humor as usual, but not near the magic of the first four.
Tom Lawson
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I could skip the middle..:
Bruce Humbert
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
There is much to like about DeMille's skills and story telling - but he has a couple of fatal flaws that reduce him to entertaining - but frustrating

1. He takes twice as long as he should to get through his stories. The balance between detail and boring is not an easy one for him to deal with.
2. The "oh no - don't go into the basement" problem crops up in each of his books - the failure to see what is obvious to readers/listners ruins a pretty good tale.

The plus side is he is a very good story
Jane Stewart
Disappointing sequel to The Lion’s Game.

The only value is to satisfy your curiosity if you read The Lion’s Game. Do not read this as a stand alone.

There were three action scenes in the beginning of the book with Asad killing people. Then the huge middle section of the book felt like filler. Too wordy with political ponderings. Too much internal thinking and monologuing. Too much repetitive thinking about past events. Finally we get some action toward the end.

This book would have been better if
_yay_
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-on-blog
John Corey is back and has unfinished business with terrorist Asad Khalil. Fans will know him from DeMilles The Lion's Game. One has to get used to all the testosterone, but will quickly enjoy Corey mouthing off on everyone and everything. I was constantly laughing out loud or the very least shaking my had in amusement. Witty dialogue! Please keep the soap away from Corey's mouth a while longer because I enjoyed this book a lot. 5 stars for this entertaining read!

Now, I've read some of the other
Diane
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asad Khalil (aka "The Lion"), the ruthless Libyan terrorist who menaced ex-NYPD cop John Corey in The Lion's Game (2000), returns to the U.S. 18 months after 9/11, bent on finishing old business in DeMille's fast-paced fifth John Corey thriller (after Wild Fire). In Los Angeles, Khalil dispatches the last of the eight American pilots who dropped the bombs that killed Khalil's family in the historic 1986 raid on Tripoli. In New York City, a daring encounter with Corey, a member of the federal ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Having read four previous John Corey novels, I didn't need much persuading to like The Lion's Game. DeMille's practice of counterpointing violent and often evil events with his protagonist's weakness for the flippant wisecrack is not an easy trick to pull off, but he is able to make it work. Unsurprisingly, some of the jokes are better than others ("Have you experience of terrorism? I was married.")

It is a pity that other reviewers have divulged rather a lot of the plot; suffice it to say that,
Melissa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I do like the way Nelson DeMille writes his main characters. John Corey is a snot. He's sarcastic, he's rude, he's basically a brat. While I don't love his as a character in the "he's just so loveable" sense, I am so impressed with the way DeMille commits 100% to the personality of this caracter. He doesn't just bring out the sarcasm in the dialog when Corey talks, but it is throughout his actions, his thinking - there is no doubt in anyones mind of Corey's character. I appreciate that about ...more
Alison
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xpired-2011-read
Blake
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I too received an advance copy of this book, before it was released. I enjoy all of this authors works, but mostly his earlier works. Sadly, I feel he is resting a bit on his well earned laurels. The book read like it was almost an afterthought, with very little new character development and almost no plot twists. It was a nice read, but more of a palate cleanser than the satisfying meal which this author is capable of delivering. I long for the likes of The Charm School, The Generals Daughter, ...more
Raymond
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel first involves John Corey and his wife in a sky diving event in the Borscht Belt of the Catskills near where we lived in Ulster County of New York State although "The Lion" had already wreaked havoc out of the Santa Barbara airport in California.
I continue to enjoy the caustic humor of John Corey and appreciate he and his wife's triumphs out of devastating catastrophes!
Linda
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-2014
Love Nelson DeMilles dry wit and fast-paced action.Reading this book was like watching a scary movie,I'd slam it shut,get up and walk around a little to get my courage up...the start reading..Couldn't put it down for too long.
DeMille, Nelson 13 90 Apr 18, 2014 10:46AM

• Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • Black Ops (Presidential Agent, #5)
  • One Good Deed
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Hell's Corner (Camel Club, #5)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Zero Game
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Playing The Game
  • Nelson DeMille Series Order & Checklist: John Corey Series, Joe Ryker Series, John Sutter Series, Paul Brenner Series, Plus All Other Books, Novels, and Short Stories (Series List Book 18)
  • The Camel Club (Camel Club, #1)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Turbulence
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Secret Sanction (Sean Drummond, #1)
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille, then moved with his parents to Long Island. He graduated from Elmont Memorial High School, where he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army where he attended Officer Candidate School and was commissioned a Lieutenant in the United

John Corey (7 books)
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • Night Fall (John Corey, #3)
  • Wild Fire (John Corey, #4)
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)
“It's really scary when you have a moment of temporary sanity.” 28 likes