Start by marking “Software Architecture in Practice” as Want to Read:
Software Architecture in Practice

Software Architecture in Practice

This award-winning book, substantially updated to reflect the latest developments in the field, introduces the concepts and best practices of software architecture—how a software system is structured and how that system's elements are meant to interact. Distinct from the details of implementation, algorithm, and data representation, an architecture holds the key to achievi

Hardcover, Second Edition, 560 pages
Published April 9th 2003 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Software Architecture in Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software Architecture in Practice

Start your review of Software Architecture in Practice
Ha Truong
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
The book introduces many aspects of an architecture and responsibilities of an architect. There are many things I haven't known before. But all the knowledge is at the level of fundamental and kinda overview, so you have to read it along with other specific books.

If I could rewrite the title, I would put it as "Introduction to Software Architecture" because everything looks like theory lessons in school, not practical. The writing is kinda daunting: lengthy, jargon and duplication.
Mohannad Hassan

By the time I’m writing this, I have about eight years of experience in software engineering. For a big part of it, software architecture has been a major concern for me. One of the earliest questions I pondered was the difference between software architecture as it’s practiced by the community and described in the canon and just developing some proper OOP. This distinction, although it started to clear early on, remained a bit vague for me. One of the longest-standing questions was the relation

Dmitry Mikhaylov
This book explains the concepts and practices of software architecure discipline as it is defined by Software engineering institute. In particular the authors share their proven methods on:

How to elicit and prioritize architecturally significant requirements (ASRs), e.g. Utility tree method

How to address these requirements with architectural tactics and patterns

How to document architecture using various views, e.g. module view (source code model), run time view (components and connectors model),
Denis Romanovsky
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did not let me make a single simple opinion. It is great on the role and responsibilities of an architect, architecture qualities, architecture significant requirements, economy modeling. Then it is extremely boring on architecture process and governance, very shallow on agile and cloud. But in the end again it surprises with a “metropolis” model of architecture in holocratic-like organizations. Not a bad book after all.
Balki Kodarapu
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book to get more familiar with large-scale architecture nuances. Good read overall. Wasn't as dense as had expected. Definitely targeted towards larger companies that need more formal processes. The authors were pragmatic and humble enough to give credibility to the emergence of agile and the inherent conflict that exists there. Another big wild-card that diminishes the value of such a book is that transition to cloud / microservices is a new normal now. Many of the elements highl ...more
Danial Kalbasi
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is both great and overwhelming. It covers all the aspects of Software Architect responsibilities and relevant techniques. And at the same time, it has much information which makes it not easy to read.

I think the level of information that this book provides is just enough. I really don't expect, a book with this agenda provides technology-specific advice or even goes into each subject deeply. That being said, this book is good to read if you already familiar/experienced with at least a
Eoin Cos
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely incredible book on the soft and hard skills of being an architect. It goes into the different roles a software architect will have and gives thoroughly comprehensive advice. This is a great book on anyone wondering what it is a software architect does and gives a great starting point for anyone interested.
Matt Hartzell
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took far, far, FAR too long to read this. Don't let that speak to the quality of the text. I'm just too busy. :)

This is probably the best formal book you can read on architecture. If you are an architect, or want to be an architect, this had better be on your shelf.
Jijoy
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book tells that architecture is not built on intuitions but well thought out process. It tries to bring order into the world of design chaos. A lot to digest but definitely a lighthouse for readers who wants to advance their career into architect roles.
Franck Chauvel
Why should you read about Software architecture? Who even cares in these Agile and DevOps times. Should you, for whatever reason, still be interested, this book is the gate to approach software architecture from its theory side.

Here comes a book I had on my reading list for decades: Software Architecture in Practice, by L. Bass, P. Clements, and R. Kazman. I should have read this one when I was a PhD student, but I guess I was too lazy by then. Having enjoyed Just Enough Software Architecture: A
Michael
This book is great if you adhere to Carnegie Mellon's SEI approach and standards to Architecture. If anything, it serves a nice place to get started, but the book gets repetitive very quickly, and almost seemingly for the point of getting more pages, rather than providing valuable content. Microsoft has published works on software architecture which covers a larger and different area of emphasis than this book, but with far fewer words and less redundancy. I think this book basically could have ...more
Dstuffle
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a required textbook for a certification (software architecture) course I was taking. My one really big frustration was that one of the tests had questions that required the use of charts on this book's back cover, which the e-book format version did not have.

Was far heavier on the how to gather user requirements than how to determine which design pattern will fit the user's requirements than I was expecting.

Overall, It was a good book for the course.

Daniel Ivanov
The book is very challenging to read, although it has plenty of useful information in it.
I think myself as a Junior Solutions Architect and that's why I decided to read it.
I must say that this book covered a lot of my Software Engineering courses in the University (this is a good thing as these things tend to be forgotten).

Overall I would suggest this book for every aspiring Developer that wants to go in the Architects career path.
yubo
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote 3rd version of this book. The book is organized and explained smoothly. What i loved most is it introduce the QA, RSA and the relationship, impact among architecture, business goal, pattern, tactics.
Ruben Maldonado Tena
Extensive and useful

So far I liked the book. It really covers everything in a good level of detail. If you’re new to software/solution architecture you can use this book as a strong starting point.
Sergey Machulskis
The book is very complex. The topic is not easy and the writing style of the authors makes it worse.

Some ideas are good but explanations are overly long. It could be much shorter, maybe a medium-sized blog post. I had a feeling that authors tried to cram into it everything they find useful about architecture. Links to aerospace standards (who need them in a book like this?), clumsy discussion of product lines (an entire chapter is useless) and many more. Authors use “Source of stimulus - Stimulu
Kai Weber
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
Knowledge on software architecture is probably much less common than knowledge on software analysis and design. The three authors of this book have spent their life teaching software architecture and convincing people of the benefits and importance of architecture. So, there's a little bit of a missionary undertone at work here. But if you as a reader can cope with that, it's an interesting book, presenting a wide overview of aspects where software architecture integrates with other IT and busin ...more
Eric
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of a complicated and rapidly evolving space. While the material is bone dry, I appreciated the inclusion of exercises within the text.

If you're designing complex, distributed systems and you want to avoid discovering fundamental architectural problems very late or post release, then this book will show you how to think about, document, and evaluate your architectures in enough detail to avoid repeating painful mistakes.
Bob
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid introduction to the discipline of software engineering. I have half a dozen more books in hand or wishlisted and a folder full of academic papers and standards to read thanks to the great resources recommended "for further reading" at the end of each chapter. I'm itching to put things into practice. ...more
Tuba
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to learn about most important qualities of software and the clearly explained tactics to improve each quality. A book that I occasionally open up to remind myself of the tactics to improve a given quality.
William Cantin
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-reads
Great book for a reference book. Full of great information about software architecture and good practices when defining and structuring software. Not so much of a book suitable for school tho, but we managed to make good use of it in class.
Harshdeep
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architect
A great book for aspiring and/or old-hand architects. I wish I had read it a few years back to enhance my career earlier but it's certainly not too late.

Thanks to this book, I am at least equipped to handle architecture oriented discussions within and around organization.
TK Keanini
great text on the process of architecture.
Reza
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this from cover to cover. It wasn't and easy read but I expected more from it. Is is so IEEE focused and a bit outdated in some aspects. ...more
Gishu Pillai
Part 1 and 2 was ok.. It then turned out to be a drag to finish.
Quality attributes section was my take away
Ilya
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The content is ok, all makes sense and is from time to time quite enlightening. But overall, it is too boring to even finish.
Natu Lauchande
Great book very technical but insightful.
Jitendra
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I want to read the whole book..
Michele

• Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond
  • Clean Architecture
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Software Systems Architecture: Working with Stakeholders Using Viewpoints and Perspectives
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Code Complete
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Designing Software Architectures: A Practical Approach
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Software Architecture Patterns
  • Building Evolutionary Architectures: Support Constant Change
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“If change is the only constant in the universe, then software change is not only constant but ubiquitous.” 3 likes
“Quality is not an act, it is a habit. —Aristotle” 1 likes