Start by marking “High Performance JavaScript” as Want to Read:
High Performance JavaScript

High Performance JavaScript

If you're like most developers, you rely heavily on JavaScript to build interactive and quick-responding web applications. The problem is that all of those lines of JavaScript code can slow down your apps. This book reveals techniques and strategies to help you eliminate performance bottlenecks during development. You'll learn how to improve execution time, downloading,

Published March 30th 2010 by Yahoo Press (first published 2010)

Start your review of High Performance JavaScript
Amir Sarabadani
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Slightly out-dated but good otherwise.
Rob
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While reading Nicholas Zakas' High Performance JavaScript, it occurred to me that there were actually two different reviews that I wanted to write. So, rather than try to reconcile them into one review, I'll simply apply them here as an ordered list.

(1) To continue with the JavaScript University metaphor (from my review of Zakas' Professional JavaScript for Web Developers ): Finals are coming up in Prof. Crockford's upper-division JavaScript class. You've been a diligent student all semester
Daniel R.
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've routinely seen this book on short-lists of must read JavaScript books. I unfortunately waited too long to read it. As the foreword notes at the time the book was written the browser landscape was drastically different than it is as we start 2016. Certain chapters still hold relevant nuggets of advice but overall this book is no longer a must read, in particular all of the browser benchmarks need to be rerun on modern browsers. Loading and Execution is still important but doesn't cover newer ...more
Dan
Jun 18, 2012 added it
Shelves: programming
A disappointment, but mostly due to its age. When a book features performance testing of Google Chrome versions 1 and 2, you know something's off. Finally forced myself to finish reading it, but found little of value in the back half of the book. The problem is that almost everything in the book is a well-established best practice now, and if you're even moderately up-to-date on writing good JavaScript, the book is almost all repetition.

That said, the big payoff was Chapter 3. Here is where the
Jamison Dance
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Full of outdated advice and old benchmarks. It wasn't really what I was looking for. If you are working with IE 6, then there are some valuable tips, but if you are not and have some experience developing JavaScript, there is not much new here.
Daniel Lopez
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well written, easy to read and full of wonderful performance tips.
Steve
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This isn't a knock on the book itself. Honestly, if I had read this when it first came out (2010) it would have been an easy 5! It's very practical, and super informative. However, many of the practices are outdated. For me, this book was more about fundamentals and a historical take on the Javascript performance.
Danial Kalbasi
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: engineering
This book has few good points, but it almost irrelevant for the existing tech stack. You might get more from google developer website rather than this book in terms of performance. https://developers.google.com/web/fun...
Michael
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent in depth look into some performance aspects of JavaScript code that might not be apparent even to weathered users of the language.
Tony
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: acquired
This book is not for a beginner in JavaScript. It's intended more as a "best practices" guide for people who are already at least intermediate in the JavaScript skills. If you have a hard time wrapping your head around object-oriented JavaScript and closures, you probably aren't ready for this one, just yet.

The section on regular expressions and how they work, under the hood, was nearly worth the price of admission by itself. I've spent many years working with Perl, had the college-level course
Ulina
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-books
I give it a 3.7. After three or four false starts, I was able to read this book until it was done. I think it took me a while to get into this book because in the beginning it felt like he spent forever just talking about scopes. It could also have been that back then the Nook (Color)? didn't support pdf books as well as it does today. Mostly meaning it didn't save what page you were on last. Every time you open the pdf, it started back at the beginning.

After a few pages, and I was able to get
Yong Hoon
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A readable and easily digestible guide to JavaScript performance. As a JS beginner, I learned a good deal about different best practices and the little quirks of JS that can have a large impact on performance. I'm not sure how much value this will have to anyone who has done a good deal of JavaScript programming, as the guidelines seem very simple and straightforward. However, the chapters on the DOM and String processing were very good, and the first chapter, on loading JS, seemed very ...more
David Zukowski
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty good reference. I think the book's age (references IE4) actually helps it in some ways, as it discusses guidelines and practices for improved performance on browsers much less powerful than we have now. Most developers should be familiar with the majority of this book (script placement, sync vs async, caching, etc.) but there were plenty of other interesting topics, such as real-world use cases bitwise operators and Duff's device.
Wangyiran
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
at least 5 stars.
it is attractive for me at some charpters:
it introduce Strings optimize
data format performance
loops and conditionals optimize,
timer
data access contain closures
dom,
many ways are applicative and i can correct my previous useage of bad performance,
so i give the book 5 stars,and it is understandable.
Gregory
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my mind books by Zakas are compulsory reading. It will take you through esoteric Javascript idiosyncrasies and help you to understand the many variables in the web environment in which the language is most employed.
Nate Berggren
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd rate this book 4 stars if it weren't so dated (read it in 2013). It is still a good read and gives a good perspective on the path javascript development is on. It also did spark some good discussions among my coworkers and jump-started our conversation on coding standards.
Nick Carter
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Though about half the book is rehash for experienced javascripters, it's nice to have all these tips in one place, and Zakas gives several topics (loop unrolling, local caching) better coverage than any I've read elsewhere.
Iman Mh
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just an other awesome book by Nicolas Zakas. The first 3 chapters are critically important for every project. If you are going to build javaScript applications that requires a high amount of resources this book is the number one to read.
Steve Love
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent consolidation of a wide range of tips and tools for optimizing JavaScript and the loading of JavaScript resources. If you work with JavaScript, you should read this.
Matthew Rotter
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Way more useful than I was expecting! Definitely worth a read.
Aizhang
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Goodreads allows some html formatting.

well formed web urls automatically get turned into links
link: my link text
Julia Yakutova
Good book for 2010 or so. But you definitely need something new for 2017.
Katherine
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Requires updates. Reading Google's JavaScript Style Guide is more beneficial.
Chris
Dec 17, 2011 added it
Practical, well-written, and short.
Anton Vildyaev
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author mentions IE7 too often for the book about performance but general ideas still make sense. Would love to check more up-to-date edition.
Timo
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Lots of useful tips and hints to improve your (native javascript) code ja regex performance. Tools section is outdated but still points to the right direction.
Some parts need updating but it was interesting to read
Gary
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
only a three because the book is getting very dated.
Tae
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: javascript
Where is the updated version?...
Nicklas
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some general good advices and tips on the JS internals and what to think about to make it scale.

• JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • JavaScript Web Applications
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Chinese: 尼古拉斯

Nicholas C. Zakas is a front-end consultant, author, and speaker. He worked at Yahoo! for almost five years, where he was front-end tech lead for the Yahoo! homepage and a contributor to the YUI library. He is the author of Maintainable JavaScript (O’Reilly, 2012), Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox, 2012), High Performance JavaScript
(O’Reilly, 2010), and Professional