Start by marking “No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman” as Want to Read:
No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman

No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman

With a unique combination of dazzling intellect and touching simplicity, Feynman had a passion for physics that was merely the Nobel Prize-winning part of an immense love of life and everything it could offer. He was hugely irreverent and always completely honest—with himself, with his colleagues, and with nature.

No Ordinary Genius traces Feynman's remarkable adventures in
Published February 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton Company (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about No Ordinary Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ordinary Genius

Lana Rigsby
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just when I thought I'd read most everything this guy ever wrote, a friend gave me No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman. Wonderful! I felt I was meeting someone that up till now I'd only known through letters—all the photos and drawings and little notes give me a clearer, more intimate picture of this iconoclastic scientist whose words I've loved for years. The robe and bunny slippers picture adds significantly to my up-to-now skimpy mental picture.

This book is full of telling an
Irene
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Irene by: Ken's Nana
Imagine watching a documentary about Richard Feynman, with photos and interviews with Feynman's friends, family, and colleagues, as well as Feynman himself. This book was based on a series of Feynman documentaries, so it's basically like reading a documentary.

It's very similar, in style and content, to the Feynman autobiographies (Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and What Do You Care What Other People Think?). You get to know Feynman as having the curiosity and honesty of a child, but the int
Melissa McShane
This is sort of a companion to several movies Sykes made about Feynman, his life and work, accompanied by numerous photos, newspaper clippings, and letters. There's not much new here for anyone who's familiar with Feynman's work, though there were a number of new anecdotes, and I was impressed at the reproductions of some of his drawings, which I'd never seen before--the man really was good at everything he did. The recollections of family, friends, and fellow scientists add depth to the materia ...more
Gastón Nusimovich
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books on Feynman.

Among all these books, this one is a favorite of mine, as it captures many of the facets of this extraordinary person, a very unusual and normal guy.

This book is also unusual in the sense that it presents Feynman as seen by many persons that knew him well, and also as seen by Feymman himself.

Kind regards, GEN
Ketul Shah
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always inspiring.
iU Neil Cidi Al-Masri Sandage
I purchased it and looked through it, before the arson.
Someone, did not comprehend #Feynman.

I lost this book in an arson of my home, it was planned by Two Frequency ElectroMagnatic waves planning the arson of my home after it bombs all the Libyan who ended Slavery of Africa by the United States in the Barbary Wars 1800~18015, in which Thomas Jefferson co-operated in the defeat of the United States to the Cidi Al-Masry and Marines is Arab Navy verse US Navy that then took on the Son Kill All Dark
Tina
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I was concerned that it might be redundant to other books I've read about him but found that the material was new to me. The chapter on Touva was delightful and bittersweet. I love it when people get excited about obscure topics, and what could be more obscure than Touva, and who could get more excited about something than Richard Feynman?

He would have been 100 next month.
Di
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
"...my mother informed me that, unfortunately, women's brains were physiologically incapable of doing science...My great ambition for years was to be an assistant to some man, just to be allowed to look at the stars. Not to do any science, but just to be his assistant--this was my childhood goal. I couldn't imagine anything further than that."
--Jean Feynman
Largar
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read most of the books by, and about, Richard Feynman. This one by Christopher Sykes is really a terrific reading experience. It provides a personal feel to what you learn about Feynman. I very much recommend this book.
Blades
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book on a beautiful man. Very insightful and interesting.
Michael
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
extremely insightful written by Feynman and those closest to him.
Faizal Aziz
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Satu lagi kisah Feynman dari sudut pandang ahli keluarga, sahabat, artis, orang awam dan saintis ternama yang lain
J.M.
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent documentary. Now in book form!
Beverly
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love illustrated books and especially illustrated bios - this is a "light" Bio with great comments from friends, scientists and family- tons of pictures. FOund it at a used book store for $7
Beth
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: good-science, humor
I love this book because it's an illustrated biography of the man I would have loved to have met and had over for coffee.
Walter Riker
It it is a really good introduction to Richard Feynman.
theresa
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
great addition to any Feynman fan's library. it covers both his work and his personal life and has many pictures. he was a fascinating individual!
Enzo
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody
Loved it.
It's the beautiful portrait of an extraordinary man, depicted with his own words and through comments and anecdotes from friends and family.
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it

This illustrated biography of the genius physicist Richard Feynman is an engrossing account of the remarkable man.

TK Keanini
Apr 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroes
He started so many things that we must continue to develop.
Michael
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-non, s-t-e-m
A collection of first hand accounts from people who knew Feynman and from Feynman himself. More delightful content and the photographs were also a plus.
Dan
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly entertaining.
Elvis  Martis
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
An amazing journey of not an ordinary Genius. Truly loved reading it.
Parrotgolden
Delvi Maulana
Apr 08, 2019

• Feynman's Lost Lecture: The Motion of Planets Around the Sun
  • Tuva or Bust!: Richard Feynman's Last Journey
  • Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: Letters of Richard P. Feynman
  • Feynman's Rainbow: A Search for Beauty in Physics and in Life
  • Geons, Black Holes and Quantum Foam: A Life in Physics
  • Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein
  • Never at Rest: A Biography of Isaac Newton
  • Disturbing the Universe
  • Who Got Einstein's Office? Eccentricity and Genius at the Institute for Advanced Study
  • John Von Neumann
  • The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of  Paul Erdős and the Search for Mathematical Truth
  • The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan