Start by marking “Html5: Up and Running: Dive Into the Future of Web Development” as Want to Read:
Html5: Up and Running: Dive Into the Future of Web Development

Html5: Up and Running: Dive Into the Future of Web Development

If you don't know about the new features available in HTML5, now's the time to find out. This book provides practical information about how and why the latest version of this markup language will significantly change the way you develop for the Web.

HTML5 is still evolving, yet browsers such as Safari, Mozilla, Opera, and Chrome already support many of its features -- and
Published August 25th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Html5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Html5

Start your review of Html5: Up and Running: Dive Into the Future of Web Development
David
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pilgrim's HTML5: Up and Running (H5UaR) is a short book and has a far more conversational tone than I'm used to with O'Reilly technical books. Both aspects are highly appropriate to the nature of the subject.

Pilgrim's greatest strength in H5UaR is acknowledging the sordid history of HTML support, the sordid present, and the no-doubt sordid future. The first chapter is a wonderful (and interesting) bit of history of HTML and MIME Types. I already felt well-versed in the story, but Pilgrim has
Erik Nilson
Reading this book was a slight deception, not because of the content, but MAINLY because it's a bit messy. The chapters don't correlate with each other very well and the content is not as well organized as I was expecting. Aside from that, I believe I learned something new.
Eric Phetteplace
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Web app developers
Shelves: lis-web
I actually read the free e-book available over at diveintohtml5.org but that's not enough of a real book to qualify on Goodreads, being hosted on the author's website and all.
Great book overall, replete with bits of history and working code. I like that each HTML5 feature was prefaced with a list of supporting browsers and Pilgrim provides a fallback for almost every function. The example sites were pretty useful as well. Very accessible even for those of us with no Javascript knowledge. I think
Jeanne Boyarsky
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
“HTML 5 Up and Running” is the print version of the book posted at diveintohtml5.org. It covers the new features in HTML 5 along with which browsers support what (and how to do feature detection.) It's a concise book at 205 pages and sells for just under $20 dollars.

At the moment, the content is current. This may or may not change depending on how faithfully the browsers implement the spec.

I bought the book for two reasons:
1) I read the HTML version in it's entirety and wanted to support the
Monica Willyard Moen
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshare
This is a concise and effective book meant for more experienced web designers wanting to update their skills to use the power of HTML5. Though concepts are explained, prior knowledge of some HTML is assumed. If you just need to know about new elements and properties, this book fills the bill. I keep it on my tech books shelf in my home office.
Diego Pino
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
An introduction to the upcoming features of HTML5 as for 2010.

Despite being published almost 10 years ago, I think this book is still worth reading today. The first chapter about how standardization of the Web works is timeless. Without any doubt, the best chapter of this book.

About the rest of the chapters, they're still valuable but since many years have passed by a considerable amount of the book contents have been outdated. In those cases, my recommendation is to skip or skim those sections,
James
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a chronological book, this book encapsulates the heart of syntax and theory of HTML5, although HTML5 is a bit outdated for building web apps this provides a concise theory on HTML5. The writing style is not unscrutable and viscerally stimulating with the debriefing of the myriad of concepts in HTML5.
Constantine Melios
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Up & Running...
Kathy Davie
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, self-help
A how-to manual that explores the new offerings of HTML5.

My Take
Interesting, but I didn't feel that it was getting me up and running!

First, let me say that this is more for an intermediate experienced web designer who already is comfortable with coding in HTML and CSS although if the book was intended for more advanced users, I don't understand why he spent so much time on the history of HTML.

I found the whole book uneven with some of his topics too briefly peeked at while others went into much
Kris
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Some time ago I took it upon myself to try to learn, or at least familiarize myself with HTML5. I took out a stack of books from the library, including this one, and resolved to try and read through all of them. Time went by and my desire to learn waned, but I still held onto the hope that I would eventually at least look through them, become somewhat familiar with the concepts, even if I couldn't really write code.

I eventually had to return the books. And then I took one out again! And it
Tom Olson
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-books
Originally submitted at O'Reilly

This book is a great resource for those who know about HTML5 but want just a little more information. I found the author provided very complete and understandable information on HTML5 features, such as canvas drawing, mutimedia support, geolocation, offline data storage and microdata. I appreciated his first chapter dedicated to the thought process behind HTML, giving some insight of what thought goes into adding standards that usually goes unnoticed. I am also
Toon
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: webdesign
I can honestly say I really enjoyed reading this book. The writing style is very conversational, witty and light-hearted. It is, in fact, more or less a printed version of hdiveintohtml5.org/, which might partly explain the informal style.
The book gives a proper overview of what HTML5 is and isn't, and what you can do with it right now. Strangely, though, it does not give a complete overview of all the new tags, just the most important ones. It does provide a detailed description of how to
Pote
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer
A perfect introduction into the new features in HTML5. Gives the reader (at least reading the e-book) tons of links to examples and a plethora of resources for further information and more in-depth articles, along with recommendations for tools that will be of use to any web developer. Many of the new features in HTML5 are not yet supported by various browser, depending on the feature and browser version, so this book serves as somewhat of a glimpse as to where the web is (or may be) heading in ...more
Chad Warner
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This short book is packed with HTML5 examples, aimed at those already familiar with HTML. Because I build websites, not web apps, I was more interested in the new semantic elements, forms, audio, and video than in canvas, geolocation, local storage, and offline web apps.

This book explains more of HTML's history than other HTML5 books I've read, which I actually enjoyed. I didn't know much about microdata, so it was enlightening to see how search engines can extract information from microdata to
Andrew
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this in its Internet form, where it's called Dive Into Html5, and it's great! In addition to being a great history and overview of the evolution of Html, the e-book also acts as a simple but effective application of Html5 techniques and features. This is one of the few books that actually works better as an e-book.

My only gripe was that it's effectively covering a technology in its infancy (not really its fault, of course), and had to include "Feature not implemented" disclaimers for a
Wm
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't have a deep knowledge of code so I can't speak to whether or not all of that stuff is well wrought or not (it's unlikely, for example, that I'm going to be doing anything with the canvas element). But Pilgrim's explanations of the state of the field of html and how we arrived at where we're at as well as why html5 makes things easier are thorough, understandable and entertaining (assuming you're the kind of person who can find the foibles of standards groups and cludge hacks ...more
Marko Koron
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book have some really bad reviews. The problem is that people wrongly approach this as a beginner(I really don't know why every book in IT should be beginner-friendly) guide to HTML and this is not the case. This book is for people who are already accustomed to HTML and it offers to them an introduction(for a better grasp you really need to dive more into this topics) on the new features introduced in HTML5.
Some chapters are unnecessarily long(the chapters on video and microdata) but it's
Nick
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had a great time reading this book. It's exciting stuff, and presented well mostly. Some parts get a little... copy-and-paste and unnecessary. But that's made up for with the humor. Things like "If you haven't heard of MP3s, I don't know what to do with you" (p.86). I laughed out loud a few times. And I'm excited to go play with some HTML5.

Also available online, or so, http://diveintohtml5.org/
DWRL Library
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Designed to introduce readers to the new features made available by HTML 5, this book also offers a broader context for understanding the origins and evolution of markup as a practice. On its way to guiding web developers to slicker applications enabled by HTML 5, Pilgrim dives into the whys and giving varying degrees of attention to the whats and hows of new tags and other capabilities offered by the updated markup language.
Alyaksei
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
The short book with badly structured content. Almost every HTML feature mentioned several times in different chapters.
But it has good basic examples to show you HTML5 "in action". And, that is more important for me, it shows a lot of the fallback tricks to force old browsers do the same stuff that newest browsers do!
Jakub
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent read. I'd like very much for all IT books to be written in such great style. I'm not a developer by far, but even so - this book was an excellent overview of what lurks behind those hyped keywords of today's Web. Full of practical advices, straight to the point, and fun to read - if you're interested in what's here and what's to come in the world of HTML, read this book.
Frédéric Bourgeon
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very interesting read for anyone willing to dive into HTML5. It provides a good amount of content and isn't mean of exemples and advices. I honestly jumped over a few sections that in my opinion were a bit too long (details in Microdata mainly) but this books is great to read!
Marijka
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: code-reference
I really enjoyed how this book provided little histories on how HTML came to be what it was. The narrative made the content much more enjoyable. As for the nuts and bolts content, it was just what I needed to get me down the road with HTML5.
Margaret Heller
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Definitely one of the more entertaining computer books I've read. I worked many of the examples, and it was not painful despite my less than stellar competence with Javascript. You will need to also use the website available at http://diveintohtml5.org/.
Vladimir Tarasov
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: html5
Great book for both novices and professionals. Easy to read and full of usefull information.
Tun Win Naing
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
Easy to read and bring a lot of information not only on HTML5 but also on previous HTML version, history of web and its evolution.
Grant Ford
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to HTML5!
Guillermo
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
While it does present HTML5's new features quite well, it fails to adequately explain how to implement them. It's more of an explanation of what can be achieved with HTML5 than anything else.
Daniel Wood
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web
Fairly solid introduction to HTML5 and some related technologies.
Duke DeLaet
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Short read, but told me exactly everything I needed to know. Didn't think I was stupid, but didn't gloss over important things. No SVG stuff, though... bummer.

• HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Programming Python
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • HTML5: The Missing Manual
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »