Start by marking “Designing for Interaction: Creating Innovative Applications and Devices” as Want to Read:
Designing for Interaction: Creating Innovative Applications and Devices

Designing for Interaction: Creating Innovative Applications and Devices

Building products and services that people interact with is the big challenge of the 21st century. Dan Saffer has done an amazing job synthesizing the chaos into an understandable, ordered reference that is a bookshelf must-have for anyone thinking of creating new designs."
-- Jared Spool, CEO of User Interface Engineering
Interaction design is all around us. If you've ever
Published August 1st 2009 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for Interaction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for Interaction

The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James Garrett100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People by Susan M. WeinschenkAbout Face 3 by Alan Cooper
Must Read UX Books
45 books — 91 voters
Don't Make Me Think, Revisited by Steve Krug100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People by Susan M. WeinschenkAbout Face 3 by Alan CooperSmashing UX Design by Jesmond AllenDesigning for the Digital Age by Kim Goodwin
UX
21 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Designing for Interaction: Creating Innovative Applications and Devices
Craig Birchler
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My go-to pre-job-interview book. If you're a seasoned IxD veteran this book won't help you progress the field of design forward in any compelling ways. However, it will give you quick, simple anecdotes and examples consumable for a non-design audience. Alternatively, if you're working with with a new team of non-designers, this book would act as a great 1-night read to bring them up to speed.
Ryan
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Saffer's book is a thorough yet high-level look at the emerging and evolving practice of Interaction Design. Although each chapter could easily be its own book — and in most cases, such books exist — the shallow-yet-broad scope of Designing For Interaction was appealing. Each chapter is sprinkled with interesting interviews with top-notch designers and educators: Hugh Dubberly, Shelley Evenson, Larry Tesler, and more.

With that said, I have two criticisms of this book:

First, in easily 50% of
Amber
Oct 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Saffer's book is full of design laws and rules of thumb, including the disproven "magic number seven" rule for number of items on a given page that users should be allowed to choose from. This refers to a study done in the 1950s that revealed that most people can hold no more than 7 random bits of information in their head at any given time. However, more recent studies have shown that if the information bits are somehow related to each other, the human mind has a much greater capacity for ...more
K
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant overview which, while not touching on any one point in great depth, is surprisingly comprehensive. By necessity this can result in some vague sections and rules of thumb which are not always as set in stone as is presented and there are a few areas (such as the future forecasting and overall rather rigid view of the design process) where the book falls short. Nevertheless, it is an excellent guide to what can otherwise be an overwhelming topic. Perfect for an introduction, refresher, ...more
Alex Lyashok
Was interested in Tesler’s law. Good interview here but book is more of a survey of topics and has not much depth.
Martina
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to the interaction design.
Audrey
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it, but not in a couldn’t put it down sort of way.
Shane C
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the book were totally magnificent.
Steve Whiting
As a general book on how to go about designing something, this is a decent introduction, but I never felt that it was really about "designing for interaction". Sure there's some talk about widgets and typical screen layouts, and how to create task flows, but very little about what makes good interactions - so to use an analogy, it sets you loose with a box of tools and then says "build something great". Well, yes but, ... what the book really needed was examples of good and bad interaction ...more
Madeline Ashby
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not giving this book a top rating, but that's only because I used a single chapter from it in the framework of my design thesis on border security and therefore cannot speak to the book as a whole. Specifically, I read the chapter on service design, which incorporates scholarship from experience design. Saffer's frameworks are clear and easy to understand, and his commitment to the art is obvious. I recommend Saffer to anyone who wants to know what service design is and how it should work. ...more
Deniss Ojastu
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: innovation
Although written for designers, the book provides structure for managing creativity when coming up with new services and products. Useful for people dealing with new product development and for entrepreneurs in general - as it focuses greatly on user needs and user appreciation of his/her interaction with the product/service. Nice examples and interesting peek into the future of systems around us as well as their design needs.

Many passages seemed too basic - like explaining why design for
Lucius
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent as an overview of doing design, including things that might be considered business strategy, which I like. This book avoids falling into the trap of talking about design as pretty things, and provides an overview of the different approaches to design, and has pointers to other books and resources for learning more. My only criticism is that it can't devote very many words to each topic, because it's a general overview of design rather than a thorough handbook, so you really need to ...more
Smitha
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
I would've given it a higher rating if he hadn't pulled so liberally from the graduate curriculum of Carnegie Mellon's Master of Design program without citing his sources. A single mention of the school in the introduction, and a single mention of the architect/pioneer of the philosophy that the MDes programs espouse, is not at all adequate.

Otherwise, though, the stuff he wrote on his own is a pretty good primer of interaction and user experience design.
joke
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explore the new design discipline that is behind such products as the iPod and innovative Web sites like Flickr. While other books on this subject are either aimed at more seasoned practitioners or else are too focused on a particular medium like software, this guide will take a more holistic approach to the discipline, looking at interaction design for t
Luigi
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how a book about interaction design fails to provide a good interaction with its own content by constantly interrupting the reading experience with two pages long boxes in the middle of a sentence.
Besides that, it's a short introduction to the subject and it can be useful to understand some basic topics.
Shomeret
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was impressed by the organization and conceptual clarity of this book. Saffer also provided multiple perspectives and indicated when a point of view was controversial. I appreciated his final chapter on ethics. I've never seen a design book that deals with the ethical responsibility of designers before.
Jenifer Hanen
Somehow Mr. Saffer managed to take what should be a fun & interesting topic to anyone who loves & lives computers and he made it dull-academic-wire-grey-academic-framed-dull.

I couldn't finish it.
Nelson Zagalo
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introductory book for anyone trying to grasp the idea behind interaction design. Not opening completely new fields of research, but presenting the problems and some approaches to succeed in entering the area.
Heidi
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a basic overview of Interaction Design, I liked how this book was presented. It was clear and easy to read. Compared to some of the other books chosen for my course this one was usually a preferred resource for me.
Gregory
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Found this while unpacking at my new place and gave it a reread. Much like the book Don't Make Me Think did for usability testing, this book takes a nice simple approach to breaking down the many aspects of interaction design a designer could use.
Ardavan Mir
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light touch on every technique and method in the design process with short case studies and interviews with fields' experts (which I skipped mostly because I didn't find them super informative).

I would recommend this book if you are new in design, and don't know where to start.
Leonard Houx
Solid introduction to interaction design, written with care, wisdom and rigour. It read a little bit too much like a textbook sometimes, but, well, to be fair, perhaps an interesting, thoughtful, well-written textbook. I found his insights on process and project manager especially interesting.
Rick
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Interaction Designers
Recommended to Rick by: Amazon.com
Dan Saffer is a Senior Interaction Designer for Adaptive Path, one of the premier interaction design firms in the world. The book is an easy read and provides great insight to anyone wanting to learn more about interaction design.
Samantha
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle introduction to what the heck Interaction Designers generally do.
Karin
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Consultants Design Process Overview Book - Full Stack. Intro to tools.
Omar
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers a lot of essential interaction design works, computer and other real world designs. Sometimes gets a bit too simple..
Jackson
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read and presented so much better than most of the textbooks I've read on the matter.
Giovanni
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool introductory book despite its publication date (2007).
Chris
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: product Managers, product designers, web desigers,
Good foundation for the discipline. Well written and concise. A little lofty at times.
Sharon Bautista
One of the more substantive introductions to user experience design that I've read. I especially appreciated the section on strategy, a important element of design often neglected by UX books.

• The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“There's an old joke among software developers. When something works in an unexpected but strangely effective way, the developers often kid, "Oh, that's not a bug. That's a future." While this is usually a joke, designers can use the same technique of reframing the problem when tackling their own projects. In fact, there's an old joke among designers: "It's not a problem. It's an opportunity.” 0 likes