Start by marking “Dive Into Python 3” as Want to Read:
Dive Into Python 3

Dive Into Python 3

Mark Pilgrim's Dive Into Python 3 is a hands-on guide to Python 3 and its differences from Python 2. As in the original book, Dive Into Python, each chapter starts with a real, complete code sample, proceeds to pick it apart and explain the pieces, and then puts it all back together in a summary at the end.

This book includes:

Example programs completely rewritten to illustr
Published October 1st 2009 by Apress (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dive Into Python 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dive Into Python 3

Start your review of Dive Into Python 3
Thyag
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dive Into Python is an excellent "quick dive" resource for busy programmers who are beginning Python. If you have done some basic C or Java programming in the past (no need to be expert) - then this book would serve you best. Mark Pilgrim is clear about the intended readership when he says : "You won't find long-winded treatises on the aesthetics of API design or the history of computer science. I don't have time for that, and neither do you"

It is a book that works like a hands-on training manua
Mohamed Tougorti
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I especially liked chapters 5, 12 and 14 (on regular expression, XML and HTTP Web Services (real eye opener)) but I thought it was a little lacking on classes (chapter 3).
But nonetheless a must read if your interested in python.
Thanks for Mark Pilgrim to make it freely readable over the web.
Ali Bahrami nezhad
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion it's the best Python programming language book/e-book ever. It's full of examples with great description for each line.

Mr. Pilgrim knows how to teach you something :)
Phil Filippak
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Mostly concise and definitive guide to Python 3. It is rather useful if Python is not your first language, as contents of this book may seem too complicated for a newcomer. I skimmed through a couple of case studies, especially involving migration from Python 2 because I don't need it. The book has a nice appendix on magic methods and plethora of links to different articles on advanced techniques. Sadly, some of those need review for a lot of sites have gone offline since the time of the publica ...more
Loka Satrio
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading the web version, a very good "quick" guide to python.
The explanation of the sample code is concise and clear. every chapter is related to one another which is not good for a reference book (i.e. you just want to only read specific chapter).
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read about half the book to get a quick dive into Python. It seemed quite good for that purpose. Well-written and clear.
Ronaldo
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is now a little dated but it was the best intro to python for various years. The author's stylistic style was certainly adopted in other books.
Maksym Karazieiev
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Great book for Python beginners. It has examples, explanations and references if you want to dive deep. The great first step in Python in my opinion
Rick Price
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome as always

Just as clear and fun to read as the first book.
Informative.
I would recommend reading it too ensure you have the basics covered.
Mikhail GEYER
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is clear and fast to read. Good examples, nice expanations.
Neal Aggarwal
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some of my students come to me to learn a 'holistic' approach to computing and I teach them to build a computer from the first principles - that is from the basic NAND gate all the way to the operating system, assembler and compiler. A basic requirement I have is that they know some programming. For that I use Zed Shaw's Learn Python The Hard Way. On completing that book though some students feel they'd like to learn some more python and that's where this book comes in. It's fast paced and thoug ...more
Mohammad Laif
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dev
A good book explain many useful things for intermediate learners, clear many hazy for beginners!

I find some chapter very useful like:
String chapter: explaining encoding ascii, unicode, utfs, bytes & string in python!
Regular Expressions chapter.
Packaging: for anyone who want to know more about creating setup files, modules...
Porting Code to Python 3 with 2to3: this is my favorite chapter, I was start learning python2, then when I came to python3 this chapter clear many differences between the two
Shayan Kh
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

A decent introduction to how python3 works and how you should think in a pythonic way, for programmers. If you have no background in any other programming languages, this book isn't for you. If you are a pro at another language, this isn't for you either. But if you have some experience programming with other languages but considerin python, this book is great.
It has many examples of how you should do stuff in python. In fact, every thing is explained in examples, which is an in
Vladyslav Sitalo
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has previous Software Development experience and want to look into Python
Good intro to Python for people with previous programming experience. Gives good overview of language and a lot of references for further deeper reading.
On the other hand It is a bit superficial sometimes and I have to admit that I've partially skipped parts devoted to Python2 to Python3 porting because I don't feel they are relevant for me now.
Though this is my first Python book so it's hard to say how good is it in comparison to other similar books.
Emad Mokhtar
I recommend this book for beginners and intermediate Python developers, I learnt many things from it, it will focus on unicode issue and how Python 3 fixing this issue, this is the main reason Python 3 created so expect to see it many time a cross chapters.

Last things you can read this book online for free http://www.diveintopython3.net/
John Schwabacher
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I am trying to learn Python and this book is free online and looks very good.
I decided to read the Python 3 version because it also discusses Python 2 and the author says he understands interators and generators better than when he wrote the first version.
Ahmad
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: python
It's good for start with python, but I didn't find what I was searching in python 3.
Overall it's entry point into python world.
Another good start Google class: https://developers.google.com/edu/pyt...
Marcus J.
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Writing Style.
Anand Kumar
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Good for a nice review of the subject. But the reader would be served better only if he has prior exposure to python.
Alpha
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Typeset and layout are bad.

The author's style in this book is suitable for presenting simple language features, not good enough at complex stuff.

It deserves a 3.5 star.
Volodymyr
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Quite superficial, not good at complex topics, many examples of Python 2 to Python 3 migration (it is not interesting for person who wants to learn Python)
Renan Ivo
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wish it was my first programming book
Anass Ahmed
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
This book is really fantastic in explaining the fundamentals of Python language and the deep secrets of its structure. I recommend every beginner programmer to read it.
Hussein AlSarabi
I read the most important parts and skimmed through the rest. I liked it, simple well structured and enjoyable to read.
Chris
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction.
Todor
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Didn't read the last 3 chapters ... Too specific and not really python beginner related
Mohamad Fazeli
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good for people who seek to consolidate their understand of python concepts.
Aghiad
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the best you will read in case you are planning to learn python
Eugene Gostyukhin
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: python
Pretty boring intro to python in my opinion.
Chris
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Minus half a star for not covering everything.

• Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • How to Speak and Write Correctly
  • Open vSwitch Implementation handbook: Code implementation
  • The Egg
  • The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales
  • Rainbow Six (John Clark, #2; Jack Ryan Universe, #10)
  • Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism
  • Shadow 81
  • Exit Wounds
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country (Scalped, #1)
  • 似水流年
  • Trứng Chim Cúc Cu Này Thuộc Về Ai?
  • 未来世界
  • 罗生门
  • 三十而立
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »