Start by marking “Good Things” as Want to Read:

Good Things

A charming debut novel about a lifestyle maven who learns that living simply isn't simple.

Deidre McIntosh became famous teaching women to live simply, and simply live-ironic for a woman who thrives on the chaos of a television career, and shares a home with her best friend, the one man she can count on-who happens to be gay.

But when her Seattle cooking-and-lifestyle show g
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Good Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Things

Start your review of Good Things
Shannon
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
A nice, light read. The protagonist, Dierdre, is a 40-year-old host of a local television program in Seattle. When her show is canceled and her roommate moves out with his boyfriend, Dierdre finds herself without a job and a home. Through a chance meeting, she's offered a place to stay in a tiny town on the eastern border of Washington and, as a result, finds her way back to success.

This book was sweet, though the protagonist was annoying. Seriously, she's 40 years old but she spends all her mon
Melissa
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
such a wonderful and easy read! The characters were fun and interesting, detail a plenty, and to top it all off the yummy recipes made by the main character are included in the back of the book!(which I cant wait to try). I was sad to finish it and will be looking out for Mia King's newest addition. I would love if she continued with a sequel to this novel developing more on Deidres future show and growing relationship.
Heather
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-09
This book was so much fun. I loved it. It was a very easy read that kept my attention from the beginning.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a quick book. I'll spare the full review, as I feel the description here on goodreads pretty much sums it all up. Enjoy!
Gaby
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:
At 40, single and the host of Live Simple and Seattle's Martha Stewart, Deidre McIntosh is living the good life - until she's not. Suddenly, as a younger, thinner, and blonder and wealthier Marla launches a competing show Deirdre's life comes apart. Deirdre's show is cancelled. And as she's mourning with a pint of icecream, she's evicted from her beautiful apartment.

It's a stroke of luck leads her to meet Kevin. After a chance encounter, he offers her the use of his cabin by Lake Wish.
Caitlin Constantine
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
The story itself was generic chick lit, complete with the super-convenient rich dude who likes the abrasive protagonist for some reason I cannot really ascertain, but gets involved anyway and saves the day. BUT! I liked the book anyway, and I'll tell you why - because FOOD plays a major role in it. The protagonist is a bit of a local Martha Stewart type television celebrity, and she spends much of the book cooking these fabulous desserts and putting together tremendous feasts. I was literally sa ...more
Mikkee
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book's cover was what pulled me in, and then reading the jacket description, I was even more intrigued. However, I feel like what the book said it was about and what it actually was about were two very different things. The cover talked about finding the delights of a more simple life, but the book was really just another formulaic romance. Bad things happen to main character, main character goes off to pout, enter handsome, sensitive man, misunderstanding, reunion and happily ever after. S ...more
Marci
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this book, I kept hoping that it would get into a deeper story. Or that the main character and corresponding love story would seem at all relatable, but it just never did. The main character is shallow and self-centered while the author seems to need to make references to her "just needing to do something for herself" when the back story seems like she does nothing else. The supporting cast is all very likeable, but there are also some love scenes that could do without so m ...more
Bridget
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Well, when you pretty much can't stand the main character in the book, it makes it hard to give a good rating. It doesnt help that I could see some plot "twists" a mile away either. Good concept for a book, but would be improved if the main character didnt alternate between having her head up her ass or whining about things in her life.
Shawna
May 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Chick-lit can be fun, but I wasn't impressed with this. I picked it up because my sister read one of her other books and said it was fun and clean. This was a bit predictable and certainly not clean. No recommendations from me.
Nancy
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought I wanted something light to read, and this was on my bookshelf for quite awhile. But I guess it was a little more chic lit than I was looking for. Story of a life styles TV star whose show is cancelled, her bank account is low, and her roommate moves out, leaving her homeless. She escapes to the country to try to figure things out. It seemed OK, but I stopped reading 1/3 of the way through.
Madalene
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Summer read/beach read
Karen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute story, fast read.
Louise
Michelle
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I needed something light to read, and this fit perfectly. Once I got into it, I didn't want to put it down. It was pretty predictable but it was light and fun.
Nayaki
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: random-fiction
A self help book in the guise of a novel. And I am no fan of self help. Just saying.
Ciiku
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Docking one star for the lack of nuance in the Trump mention.
Patty
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
By
Mia King

I have been totally immersed in a book world of Angels and Vampires and Immortals and Werewolves. And…when I wasn’t reading tons of YA Fantasy I was reading lots of women’s fiction that contained tons of family dysfunction and lots of sadness. I really love both of these genres…they are intense and relaxing and enjoyable to me.

However…just a few days ago I became aware of a delightful author named Mia King. I read one of her books…Good Things…and totally loved it. It is r
Jay
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-review, hard-copy
Debut author Mia King has written a warm and touching story about a woman's journey to self-discovery and love.

Deidre McIntosh is Seattle's Martha Stewart. She has her own television show, Live Simple, where she shows women how to beautify their homes and lives in the simplest ways possible. Deidre loves her local celebrity status and loves that she shares a home with her best friend, who is gay.

Unfortunately, Deidre loses everything she loves in the span of a week. A rival show is launched on a
Jenn O'Brien
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book (and two others by the same author) has been sitting on my Library Books To Read pile for a while now … make that a LONG while. It kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile for other books that were due back sooner or could not be renewed. Finally, it made it to the top of the pile and I am so happy it did because I really enjoyed it.

I really liked the characters, especially the people in the small village of Point. Like all good friendships, I liked forming a bond with the main ch
Colette
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
After reading this book, I can understand why everyone wanted to read Table Manners. I can't say too many times how I loved this book. I picked it and told myself "I'll just read chapter one to see what it's about" I was reading another book at the time, and didn't want to start a new one. However, once I started this book, I couldn't put it down! I loved how this wasn't just a romance. It was a book about friendships, following your dream, not giving up and taking risks. I also liked how Deidre ...more
Stephanie
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you asked Deidre McIntosh what she loves most about her life, she'd probably say the chaos. Life is good and full of action and purpose, but unfortunately that all changes in a matter of days.

When the network drops her Martha Stewart-esque show, "Live Simple", Deidre must learn to cope with the lost of the job that she loved.

As if it couldn't get worse, Deidre's roommate and gay BFF also decides to drop a bomb on her by letting her know that he's fallen out - effective immediately. How do you
Devon
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good things come to those who wait...and for Deidre McIntosh this is a motto to be remembered. When she suddenly finds everything in her life going horribly and inexplicably wrong. Her long running TV show has been canceled, her gay roommate finds love and is moving on and her romantic life is nonexistent, on a whim decides to pack it all in and take her own advice to "live simply". Due to the kind heart of an extremely handsome virtual stranger, Kevin Johnson, she finds herself in the tiny town ...more
Kricket
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
i needed something light (literally & figuratively) to read on the beach. hardcover margaret atwood was too heavy to hold up on a chaise lounge and i didn't want to get it sandy. so the day before i left on vacation i went into the library's romance section and browsed.

which was weird! i'm always reading reviews and either putting things on hold or making a beeline to a book on a shelf.

anyway, my browsing skills aren't great because this book was pretty dumb. a martha stewart type loses her tv
Leah
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Jen
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of chick lit
Good Things is a fun, quick read that's perfect for lingering in bed on the weekend. The story is upbeat - enjoy life, being sure to appreciate simple things like a great scone, a picturesque lake, small-town life (or sex, for that matter), and good things will come to you. (The author, Mia King, is a Big Island author, so I'm sure her outlook has been reinforced by the simple pleasures here in Hawaii!)

The book is peppered with mouth-watering foodie references, and there are even recipes include
Kelly Olexa
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. Definitely slightly on the "chick" type of read and that's cool. This is about a woman dealing with a lot of sudden and drastic changes to her whole life, career and many of her relationships. This is a situation to which I can totally relate, and it tells her cathartic journey with humor and insight. Each chapter has a really great quote at the beginning...I found myself marking the pages to go back to the quotes. Love the style of her writing, and looking forward to mor ...more
Mari
Jun 02, 2010 rated it did not like it

I bought this book because it was selected by my Book Club. The reviews were also all very positive.
I was disappointed to find this book just a light beach reading, nothing more.
The main character, Deidre is an irritating good-doer at all costs. Reading about her unpleasantly teleported me back in time to the Snow White and the other not-very-sharp Princesses.
The other characters are not developed enough and are absolutely not believable.
The only good thing in this book are the recipes at the en
Janice
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and easy to read first book by Mia King. Her wit and humor reminds me of books by Jeanne Ray and Elinor Lipman. The misadventures of Deidre had certainly kept her from achieving her "simple life" motto. I loved the food descriptions. Recipes from the story were included in the back of the book. I'm going to have to patiently wait for the sequel which won't be released until Sept '09. Her next book, SWEET LIFE, will be out this Sept.

Mary
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good Things has been on my TBR stack for several months. I finally decided to dust it off and give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't want to put it down after starting, but life got in the way and it took me 2.5 days to read. I found the characters likable and mostly realistic. This is Mia King's first novel and I can't wait to read her next. It was entertaining and fun - it would make a great vacation read.
Alissa
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2010
Needed something light and fluffy to read and this fit the bill. It was a bit long but when it ended I said, "Oh it's over" and while it had a nice ending, I wasn't quite prepared for it to be over.
Nothing to really distinguish it from any other chick-lit book and while I liked Deidre I wasn't really rooting for her and I didn't like the gaps in the narration time-line. I felt at times it was confusing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Leave Me
  • Married Lovers
  • Hotel Ruby
  • First Comes Love
  • One, Two ... He Is Coming For You (Rebekka Franck, #1)
  • Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Long road to mercy ; The lieutenant's nurse ; Things you save in a fire ; The noel stranger (Reader's Digest Select Editions, volume 367)
  • Waterfall (River of Time, #1)
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Birdcall Morning
  • Singularity (Sarah Armstrong Mysteries, #1)
  • Save Me
  • A Shifting of Stars (Of Stars, #1)
  • Tricks (Tricks, #1)
  • The Robinswood Story: Three Book Collection
  • The Summer Guests
  • Perfect (Impulse, #2)
Mia King is a national bestselling author of women’s fiction. She is the author of three novels, GOOD THINGS (Berkley Books, 2007), SWEET LIFE (Berkley Books, 2008), and TABLE MANNERS (Berkley Books, 2009). Her fourth novel, FRIENDSHIP BREAD, will be published in 2011 by Ballantine Books under the name, Darien Gee. You can find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/authormiaking or on her website at ...more

News & Interviews