Start by marking “Control Theory: A New Explanation of How We Control Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Control Theory: A New Explanation of How We Control Our Lives

Control Theory: A New Explanation of How We Control Our Lives

Dr. William Glasser is well known for his many books on mental health and education and is the founder of the Institute for Reality Therapy in Los Angeles. This book presents his "Control Theory" which details how each one of us can better control our emotions and actions to live healthier and more productive lives.
Published October 1st 1985 by Harper & Row (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Control Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control Theory

Start your review of Control Theory: A New Explanation of How We Control Our Lives
Mike
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Dr. Glasser gives us the foundation and the tools to live in harmony and respect with others. This book is excellent for helping each person determine their own particular life-needs and how that is to be lived out among others.

The examples he uses are now very dated, but they get the point across. For any counselor or individual who wants to emotionally grow stronger, this is a critical book. Read in conjunction with his book "Choice Theory".
Jodi
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Life changing! This book is not about controlling others but instead a good look at what it is we truly have control over in our own lives. I stumbled across this book 20 years ago at a time when I really needed to learn what this book had to share. My copy is well worn as there are many times I need a good refresher.
Julie
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Part of the reason I read this book was for this insight into the transforming of the way to think about indecision and confusion built out of ambivalances. Glasser reframes this set into an active process of reorganization.
Aimee
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent descriptive analysis of how we choose to control ourselves and our world. I intend to read every William Glasser book I can in the next few months. I am very turned-on by his analysis and presentation of human bio-psychology.
Ami Howard
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in middle school and it changed my life. It taught me to base my experience of the world on thoughts I could control, not on external factors that I could not change. Thank you William Glasser.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely wonderful book. It is not about controlling others... but about the things that control "us"
Melanie
you want to know what my world view is based on? here ya go
Fallon

• The Ego Trick: In Search Of The Self
  • The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
  • Kiss & Tell
  • The Art of Travel
  • A Small Treatise on the Great Virtues: The Uses of Philosophy in Everyday Life
  • The Architecture of Happiness
  • How Proust Can Change Your Life
  • Leaders Eat Last
  • The Consolations of Philosophy
  • Affluenza
  • Status Anxiety
  • The Miracle Equation: The Two Decisions That Turn Your Biggest Goals from Possible, to Probable, to Inevitable
  • The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • Ricky Gervais Presents: The World of Karl Pilkington
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
  • The X-Files: Goblins (The X-Files #1)