Start by marking “Alpha Project Managers: What the Top 2% Know That Everyone Else Does Not” as Want to Read:
Alpha Project Managers: What the Top 2% Know That Everyone Else Does Not

Alpha Project Managers: What the Top 2% Know That Everyone Else Does Not

Debunking misconceptions surrounding successful project managers, this source builds upon a landmark survey of more than 800 project managers from around the world to highlight the traits that make them stand out in the minds of their teams, senior managers, customers, and stakeholders. Through in-depth interviews and discussions, the common attributes of these elite proje ...more
Published October 15th 2006 by Velociteach (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Alpha Project Managers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alpha Project Managers

Drew Weatherton
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This read more like an article than a book (and its font is large with double spaces and small pages to stretch it it to 190 pages). Also, the study itself had some shortcomings. For example, the total sample size is a tad small at 860 which is particularly evident when only 18 are determined to be "alphas". These 18 alphas are then discussed throughout the entire book with comparisons to non-alphas. Also, the definition of "alpha" is pretty arbitrary, based on the composite score of all stakeho ...more
Chris
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, summarizes a study. Lots of useful best practices in here for managing projects. Relationship management, communicating effectively with stakeholders, a supportive organization and getting feedback are all critical to projects, and explored here.
Tony Vynckier
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Crowe surveyed over 3,000 project managers and their co-workers/supervisors in order to identify the "top 2%" of project managers ("alpha project managers"). In the first cut he narrowed this down to 860 and finally identified the 2% or eighteen Alphas. He then attempted to discover what made these Alphas the absolute top of their profession.

What can we learn from the Alphas in order to improve our performance?
What are the things they do differently, more completely, or simply better?

This book
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Here's another book which would have made a decent set of presentation slides (and a short one at that).

A survey was done of ~1000 project managers, their reports, their managers and key stakeholders; effectively the PMs were given 360 degree rating and self ratings in various criteria, and this book summarises the results.

What do we find? The reader will undoubtedly be shocked to learn that the "Alpha" PMs are the ones that plan more, communicate better, lead better. Who would've thought it?

It'
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was a gift from a mentor at work. After talking with her, she sent me this book which I thought was going to be "meh". I found it to be insightful, thought provoking and applicable to where I was in my life. This book helped me push to decide going back for my MBA. In addition, I learned that knowledge of a subject will always help. I liked the anecdotes. The chapters are laid out quite well. This is a very easy read and enjoyable. Every project manager who wants to be at the top should rea ...more
Connie Mckissack
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Best practices from real project managers who are in the top of their field. Great knowledge in a short compendium of real world project issues and how highly effective PMs succeed in the top 2%. In the end it's noted that of all the attributes that separate the Alpha group from their peers, communication presents the most striking difference. Why? Simply said, because "the PM does not always have an accurate handle on his or her own communication skills or effectiveness."
Adam Nowakowski
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I've always heard that this is one of the best books to read as a PM. It is about as boring as readying a study on being a PM. Let me save you the time it takes to read. Spend twice as much time in the design phase and communicate more than you think you need. Then you will be an Alpha Project Manager.
Tim Bensley
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good survey, statistical approach to understanding what factors lead to good project management. More of a report out on the survey than a full book. Quick read by very useful. Bought copies for all the PMs in my sphere of influence.
Jenny Levine
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Good for newbies to the topic or someone who needs a reminder about how important communication is for project management.
Lech
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Heartily recommended, especially for those involved in project management. Plenty of practical insight which provides valuable perspective for the aspiring Alphas.
Jason Edleman
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very quick read. But it has great suggestions for those who want to excel as a PM. I recommend all of Andy Crowe's Books.
Tapio Tuomola
Oct 08, 2016
Adrian
Mar 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Andy Crowe is the CEO and founder of Velociteach and author of the world-famous book The PMP Exam: How To Pass On Your First Try as well as Alpha Project Managers: What the Top 2% Know that Everyone Else Does Not and The PMI-ACP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try. He is one of a handful of project management authors whose titles have sold over 250,000 copies.

He served as project manager for seve
“Until my product is in the customer’s hands, communication is my deliverable.” 0 likes
“make it a practice to separate the person from the problem.” 0 likes