Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles

In a specially adapted version for young readers by Malvina G. Vogel.

The curse of a supernatural hound brings Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson to England's gloomy moor country to solve Sir Charle Baskerville's murder. Will they find the murderer in time to prevent another killing? And what strange secrets are the people in and around Baskerville Hall trying to hide? Follow t
Paperback, Illustrated Classic Editions, 4502, 233 pages
Published 1977 by Moby Books/Playmore, Inc./I. Waldman & Son, Inc.

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles
Chaplain Walle
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
A great story about the great Sherlock Holmes' adventures. They are always provocative and well written. I recommend them to all. ...more
Darinda
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, mystery-crime
A mystery about a supernatural hound that preys on the Baskerville family. A classic mystery, and a must-read for fans of Sherlock Holmes. Spooky and clever.
Ana Gonçalves
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
The story that got me hooked in Sherlock Holmes, I love it!
Chow Hiu Ching Cherry
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Erth
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bravo! A good fast read! now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
vicki_girl
I read this children's version when I was a kid. It terrified me! I read it several times though, 'cause I liked it anyway. :) ...more
Sivaranjani Subramanian
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this as a kid. Probably my first experience getting scared on reading a book ! Classic!
Sheila
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to kids
Recommended to Sheila by: Sayjal
Shelves: children-s-books
Very interesting narrative. Crime never pays. recommended by my granddaughter.
Κάτια Γέμου
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Each story of Sherlock Holmes is wonderful!
Desiree Francis
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with Sherlock Holmes!
Elliott Vaughn
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it
obvious tale of hound being used for cerebral warfare / games
Alix
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Good, but not my favourite Holmes or Murder Mystery. As one person described it to me, Holmes stories are more closely related to Crime than Mysteries, which I am more attracted to; so I didn't find it as enjoyable as I had hoped.

I can highly recommend the Phoebe Reads a Mystery podcast version of this book: https://thisiscriminal.com/mystery/
Trina Read
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, I was drawn into the story, I loved Watson’s narration. The setting of the mystery was also incredibly done, it felt very spooky and unsettling; I love a book that uses landscape in such a prominent way to tell the story. The uncertainty of the supernatural element also made for a really intriguing read! This has reignited my passion for Sherlock!
Chawna
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock takes on a formidable enemy...but does it have two legs...or four? the writing is seamless and one scene tucks comfortably into the next, and yet it has that special quality of foreshadowing that makes a great writer. enjoyed this start to finish. adventure, disguises, problem solving and lots and lots of logic!
Vee
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I especially liked this little book because of the illustrations. These short stories are so addicting but like any Sherlock Holmes story, it almost never makes any sense towards the end.
Kostya
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has some pretty great illustrations!
Jessica
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this little gem on my flight to Arizona!
Vanessa Cooley-Stephens
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A classic and must read for anyone who calls themselves a mystery fan.
Drake Sully
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This introduced me to Sherlock Holmes! It's good for beginners. ...more
Jaylyn
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't read much mystery but I like this. It was simply a little predictable. I liked being on Watson's side and how he researched things out. ...more
Anna
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This was exciting to read. The plot was easy but I didn't figure out the case before Sherlock. ...more
Anisha
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Excellent concept. Excellent plot. Excellent characters. Never thought I would actually enjoy this.
Marlin
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
this one is actually one of my favorites! i can recommend all tbh but a study in scarlet and this one are great for starters :)
Derek
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
can't get enough ...more
Curtis
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes is asked by Dr. Mortimer t help save Henry Baskerville from a family curse. They travel to the Baskerville estate to solve the mystery that killed Henry's uncle. They meet the Stapletons and it is discovered that Mr. Stapleton is a relative who wants to inherit. Mr. Stapleton trained a large dog to be the hound from the family legend to kill off his relatives.
The scene where Sherlock Holmes and Watson found a body and thought it was Henry Baskerville. The author uses the settin
Preston
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. Stellar book, I must say. I came across this book when my grandmother bought me this book in a big bundle of books. I perused through them and found this one. I am a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, and this book sparked an interest in me. I started reading it and got really confused. However, I eventually figured it out and got the hang of things. Skip the next paragraph if you do not want the book spoiled in a brief summary.

This book is about a hound that is killing people in the graveyard ne
Lukedd96
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-rated
In Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles Sherlock Holmes is at it again. Him and Dr. Watson are on a case about the Baskerville family curse. There are only 2 Baskerville's left but one believed in the curse and died. The neighbors say the have seen the hound attack the Baskervilles when they are going to see a neighbor. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are trying to find the hound and trying to see if anybody owns it. Neighbors say that they see a man go into his barn then ...more
Anisa Nurjanah
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
After all the hardships, I can finally grab this book in my hand!

Well, not in this edition actually, I read it as in translation version of this, but since I can't find the translation version to be reviewed, I'll put my review in this edition.

The Hound of Baskervilles' case is one of another top story of Sherlock's series. I like how in this edition, Watson proves himself to be able to investigate the case without any lead from Sherlock (view spoiler)
Doris
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The story in itself is simply written and a quick, easy read. The illustrations accompanying the writing - one page words, one page a picture - are nicely done and story-appropriate, although I could have done without the captions. They either give the story away if you read it before the written page or are superfluous, essentially a doubling up of information which is absolutely unnecessary.
Yes, I know, these 'Illustrated Classic Editions' are directed towards younger readers, however, they ar
Dasha Hegeman
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time a long time ago because I was interested in it after watching an episode of Sherlock that was based on it. The book itself was really good, but there were some things about it I didn't quite understand. Probably because I was stuck on what happened in the show, it messed up my memory on the book so I had to read it again. I still have a difficult time with it, but I think the book was really interesting and I recommend it to anyone who has read any other of th ...more

• Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • De complete avonturen van Sherlock Holmes: deel 1
  • The Adventure of the Speckled Band
  • Treasure Island
  • The Adventure of the Red-Headed League
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume II
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • Silver Blaze (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Oliver Twist