Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles (Illustrated Classic Editions)” as Want to Read:

In a specially adapted version for young readers by Malvina G. Vogel.

The curse of a supernatural hound brings Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson to England's gloomy moor country to solve Sir Charle Baskerville's murder. Will they find the murderer in time to prevent another killing? And what strange secrets are the people in and around Baskerville Hall trying to hide? Follow t
Paperback, Illustrated Classic Editions, 4502, 233 pages
Published 1977 by Moby Books/Playmore, Inc./I. Waldman & Son, Inc.

Darinda
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, mystery-crime
A mystery about a supernatural hound that preys on the Baskerville family. A classic mystery, and a must-read for fans of Sherlock Holmes. Spooky and clever.
Prashant Badiger
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling Sherlock adventure
Jessica
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this little gem on my flight to Arizona!
Κάτια Γέμου
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Each story of Sherlock Holmes is wonderful!
Vee
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I especially liked this little book because of the illustrations. These short stories are so addicting but like any Sherlock Holmes story, it almost never makes any sense towards the end.
Desiree Francis
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with Sherlock Holmes!
Konstantin Butakov
Has some pretty great illustrations!
Curtis
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes is asked by Dr. Mortimer t help save Henry Baskerville from a family curse. They travel to the Baskerville estate to solve the mystery that killed Henry's uncle. They meet the Stapletons and it is discovered that Mr. Stapleton is a relative who wants to inherit. Mr. Stapleton trained a large dog to be the hound from the family legend to kill off his relatives.
The scene where Sherlock Holmes and Watson found a body and thought it was Henry Baskerville. The author uses the settin
Sheila
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to kids
Recommended to Sheila by: Sayjal
Shelves: children-s-books
Very interesting narrative. Crime never pays. recommended by my granddaughter.
Preston
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. Stellar book, I must say. I came across this book when my grandmother bought me this book in a big bundle of books. I perused through them and found this one. I am a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, and this book sparked an interest in me. I started reading it and got really confused. However, I eventually figured it out and got the hang of things. Skip the next paragraph if you do not want the book spoiled in a brief summary.

This book is about a hound that is killing people in the graveyard ne
Lukedd96
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-rated
In Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles Sherlock Holmes is at it again. Him and Dr. Watson are on a case about the Baskerville family curse. There are only 2 Baskerville's left but one believed in the curse and died. The neighbors say the have seen the hound attack the Baskervilles when they are going to see a neighbor. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are trying to find the hound and trying to see if anybody owns it. Neighbors say that they see a man go into his barn then ...more
Anisa Nurjanah
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
After all the hardships, I can finally grab this book in my hand!

Well, not in this edition actually, I read it as in translation version of this, but since I can't find the translation version to be reviewed, I'll put my review in this edition.

The Hound of Baskervilles' case is one of another top story of Sherlock's series. I like how in this edition, Watson proves himself to be able to investigate the case without any lead from Sherlock (view spoiler)
Doris
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The story in itself is simply written and a quick, easy read. The illustrations accompanying the writing - one page words, one page a picture - are nicely done and story-appropriate, although I could have done without the captions. They either give the story away if you read it before the written page or are superfluous, essentially a doubling up of information which is absolutely unnecessary.
Yes, I know, these 'Illustrated Classic Editions' are directed towards younger readers, however, they ar
Chow Hiu Ching Cherry
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dasha Hegeman
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time a long time ago because I was interested in it after watching an episode of Sherlock that was based on it. The book itself was really good, but there were some things about it I didn't quite understand. Probably because I was stuck on what happened in the show, it messed up my memory on the book so I had to read it again. I still have a difficult time with it, but I think the book was really interesting and I recommend it to anyone who has read any other of th ...more
Neha Dubey
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hate CBSE for removing it from class 12th syllabus, although I read it long ago but still I would have liked my friends reading this and finally understanding why I love Sherlock Holmes. leave it, so talking about this book, I'm so glad to own it. if you like mystery, this one is for you. everyone please read this, you can't die without having read this, that would be a shame.
Erth
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bravo! A good fast read! now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Ali
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a good mystery, (of course!) and it was filled with adventure and fun. The plot twists are amazing, and of course the characters are quite fun. It's a lovely read for anyone willing to just sit down and just read it.
Rebekah
Read this book with my son in about 5 days. We both enjoyed it. I think it was his first mystery. He was anxious to learn who-dun-it. The pictures were helpful in keeping him involved and included a summary of each page. I hope he will choose to read more of these stories.
Eyehavenofilter
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'll just be saying the same thing over N over, cause I love mystery.
Sreedevi
niceeeee :)
Joan
Jan 15, 2010 rated it liked it
A classic and it's easy to see why. Though not very complicated, the story held my interest and proved a satisfying read.
Ashwini
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is super cool...must read and if any1 even gives a summry it spoils the suspense...the book is that superb....its the best....
Lora
Dec 20, 2013 added it
This is of course the classic Holmes. It was what started it all, as such it has a special place in the canon. The descriptions are wonderful while not being too much.
K D
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite.
Chantelle
Delaney is actually reading this right now - she picked it up at a book swap. I wish I could still find these - I loved them!
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What's better than a Sherlock Holmes mystery? Pretty much nothing.
Christie
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of the very few Sherlock Holmes tales I could not really get in to.
Sabrina
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great
vicki_girl
I read this children's version when I was a kid. It terrified me! I read it several times though, 'cause I liked it anyway. :)

• Treasure Island
  • Kidnapped (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Last of the Mohicans
  • The Red Headed League (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Pride and Prejudice (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • Little Women
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)