Start by marking “How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School” as Want to Read:
How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School

How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  632 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Expanded to show how the theories and insights from the original hardcover edition can be translated into actions and practice, readers can now make valuable connections between classroom activities and learning behavior. This book offers exciting -- and useful -- information about the mind and the brain that provides some answers on how people actually learn.
Paperback, Expanded, 384 pages
Published September 11th 2000 by National Academies Press (first published October 1st 1998)

Andrea
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
I should really give this four stars, but the first two or three chapters of this book are written in unreadable, clumsy jargon, so I'm being punitive. However, once it gets into reports and explanations of actual research and how the insights of this research apply to real learners, the book becomes fascinating and I forgot about the heavy prose. Still, for a book that touts itself as "teacher friendly" I'm thinking a thoughtful editor could have made this a less painful read. So let's say I wo ...more
Tony Petrosino
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the single best volume of what we know scientifically about how we learn. Science now offers new conceptions of the learning process and the development of competent performance. Recent research provides a deep understanding of complex reasoning and performance on problem-solving tasks and how skill and understanding in key subjects are acquired. This book presents a contemporary account of principles of learning, and this summary provides an overview of the new science of learning.
Jyllian Martini
Jul 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
There has GOT to be a less dry and tedious book for metacognition and research based teaching principles. Somewhere, please!
Susan
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Ran across this cited in the Partnership for 21st Century Skills' white paper. Wish more actual educators and policy-makers were more aware of advances in the cognitive science of human learning. Science knows a lot more about learning nowadays than it did back when we put cats into boxes... I think the book is actually the report of a study funded by a federal grant. Unfortunately the writing has an institutional quality, but it clarifies many concepts you might run across if you're trying to r ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book first ignited my interest in figuring out how people learn. I continue to teach proceeding on the theories outlined in this book; namely, by understanding how people learn, I've become better equipped at what to teach and, perhaps even more importantly, why to teach a particular concept, principle, or idea.
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I didn't read the whole thing, just the parts that were assigned in my pedagogy class. UM, DRY AS STALE TOAST. I realize that someone reading the primary literature of my own field (not education) would also find it dry, but this was specifically designated for a wider audience so...eh. I dunno.
Marko Zanev
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. It actually explains how the research has evolved. An old book, but definitely show what we still need to change in our educational system.
Elizabeth Drake
Every teacher and school administrator should read one of the books in this series. Easy to follow and packed full of important insights based on research. The ideas are not all new anymore, but everything is science-based.

Some of the major points that I took away:

The importance of understanding that students do not arrive in school as blank slates, but, instead, already have ideas about the world and how things work. Teachers need to address the prior knowledge that students bring to the class
Ammar Elmerhbi
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How People Learn is a fascinating book on the application of cognitive Science findings in practical teaching and learning. Whether you are a seasoned teacher or a novice, you need to read this book. Some teachers might find some terminologies hard to interpret, but it is worth the time and effort. Teachers need to reflect on their current Teaching practice whilst reading the book to maximize the benefit. The book however might have fallen short in interpreting new Theories of learning, but sinc ...more
Nilesh Trivedi
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book summarises latest research in the field of human learning. Written by a committee in a report format, so it is a very dry read. But contains good insights. Rating it high because it is very easy to skim as every chapter provides a well-written conclusion section.

Learning research can be hard to apply to real-world classroom settings. For that, follow this book up with its sequel "How Students Learn" which expands Chapter 7 into an entire book with lots of concrete examples.
Joel
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Contained a lot of stuff that I'd already picked up from other pedagogy reading. Very theoretical. Some of the most memorable parts were about the differences in how parents from different American subcultures interact with their kids and how that leads to some kids being perceived as dumb or unintelligent in school because they don't respond to questions in a particular way.
Barbara Lovejoy
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quite a number of months ago my friend, Elaine Logan, recommended this book on Facebook. Even though I was intrigued by the content, it took be another number of months to buy it. Then after buying it, I still took a number of months to read it. I'm so glad I finally read it! It is an excellent book that every educator should read. It will have an impact on what we do at Esperanza.
Victor Delclos
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is classic. Even after 15 years it still captures the essence of the thinking that drives much of progressive educational thought today. Research-based, very well written, and very accessible. Anyone who wants a clear perspective on what we would be doing in education should read this.
Brooke
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Essentially, a classic must read for all teachers! Beautiful, beautiful, work.
M. Shipley
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good as far as educational literature goes. I had to read it for a grad class. I will probably recommend it for our summer reading to my fellow teachers.
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2011 marked it as interesting-possibilities
Recommended to Cheryl by: Dr. Saundra Yancy McGuire
Shelves: in-epcc-library
Recommended by Dr. Saundra Yancy McGuire in the Innovative Educator webinar (Teach students how to learn: Metacognition is the Key!)
Jason
Jul 03, 2010 added it
Cognitive research . . . meta cognition . . . good stuff.
Cynthia
Read for EdD Program at JHU
Kenneth
May 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: education
written by a research committee....
Kathy
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So much! This was for a class on brain-based learning. Fascinating stuff!
Wayne
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of good information in this book, but as it was written by a committee it definitely lack a personal touch to it.
Jeremy
Jul 27, 2007 added it
a good dose of neuroscience and cognitive psychology. its implications for teaching are valuable.
Dave

Fascinating topic.
Anne
Mar 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ruth and Nora
We are reading this at school for CTE discussions. Chapter two compares experts and beginners learning processes. It has been on my to-read list for a long time ... wish i had picked it up earlier.
Rebecca Emily
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'd been meaning to get to this one for a while and luckily it was assigned. Some great suggestions on connecting scientific research on learning to classroom practice.
Inuxwoof
Jul 23, 2012
Ramón
Jul 21, 2016
  • How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching
  • Mind in Society: Development of Higher Psychological Processes
  • Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
  • Understanding by Design
  • Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom
  • E-Learning and the Science of Instruction: Proven Guidelines for Consumers and Designers of Multimedia Learning [With CDROM]
  • Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction
  • The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching the Practice of Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Experience and Education
  • How the Brain Learns
  • Finnish Lessons: What Can the World Learn from Educational Change in Finland?
  • The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach
  • Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The Having of Wonderful Ideas: And Other Essays on Teaching and Learning