Start by marking “Damage Control (Joanna Brady, #13)” as Want to Read:
Damage Control (Joanna Brady, #13)

Damage Control (Joanna Brady #13)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  4,615 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
At first glance, it appears to be an accident . . .

A car carrying an elderly couple goes off the side of a mountain and tumbles into oblivion on a beautiful sunny day in the Coronado National Monument. A note pulled from the twisted wreckage suggests the tragedy may have been a double suicide—but an autopsy later suggests something different. A deadly fire and a fatal home
Published June 30th 2009 by Harper (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Damage Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damage Control

Maria Cox
Damage Control is the first novel I've read by J.A. Jance and it was an okay read.

I was particularly drawn to this book for three reasons, 1) because Ms. Jance is a NYT Best Selling author, 2) because so many people praise her work and 3) the prologue.

**Spoiler alert, sorry**

Like a lot of other reviewers I was immediately drawn to Damage Control from the prologue, and just like the other reviewers, I too was disappointed to realize that the prologue had little to do with the story line. Sadly, t
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
An elderly couple drive their car off a cliff, apparently in a suicide pact. But when their daughters show up, fighting over the inheritance, it seems there's more to this case than meets the eye. Meanwhile, there's a fire in a mobile home and human remains are found in a trash bag that washes up after a storm. All this in a weekend in a small town.

This book is really ridiculous.There's so much going on at once; isn't one mystery enough for a mystery novel? I didn't really see the point in havin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
The main character, a sheriff, refers to a female homicide victim as a “wide-load victim” because the woman wore size 20 clothing. This is said as the sheriff is looking at the dismembered skeletal remains of the woman who was beaten, murdered, and buried the the desert for months. This is the 2nd Joanna Brady book I’ve read and the author doesn’t seem fond of or sympathetic to undocumented immigrants who cross the border. The only characters whose body type she describes are those who are overw ...more
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently listened to a recorded book, one of those "A Short Period in the Life of ..." from a long-running series by a prolific author. I wondered if it was the lack of a driving plot (mystery OR suspense) that turned me off, or if it was because this was the first book in the series that I'd "read" and I couldn't appreciate the growth in characters I didn't know.

Well, J. A. Jance's "Damage Control" is a similar book. And my reaction couldn't have been more opposite! This book (at least the au
Alyce Rocco
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am not fond of novels with prologues, so really annoyed with the one in Damage Control by J.A.Jance. As new characters were introduced, I would flip back to the prologue to check names, finding that the woman was not showing up in the story.

It was only towards the end of the story that readers hear another word about her. It may have been a ploy to get readers to keep reading to find out what the prologue had to do with the story. I lost interest in the book and would not have finished it if i
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stock, cliche fiction. I got annoyed with how the author would randomly use jargon and then feel the need to define the terms for the reader - somewhat patronizing and pedantic. Oh is that what BOLO means? I've never read a police novel before, so I'm glad you clarified "be on the lookout" for me. And so on and so forth. There was also a lot of mention of prayer, and the Christian lingo thrown in was a bit jarring, because it was not obviously a Christian novel throughout, and thus the effect wa ...more
Kay Van Slyke
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first J.A. Jance and it was a good one. I really like Joanna Brady's character but I probably should go back and start with the first one. The book stands alone but it would be nice to get more background on the characters.
Mar 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I even finished this book is because I was on vacation and literally trapped. Road closures from snow and what not kept me from getting a new book to read.
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish that Ms.Jance would write faster. I love her books and this one was interesting and fast paced. I am happy that I am not Joanna Brady. She has way to many irons in the fire!
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
JoAnna Brady continues to work as Sheriff and be a mother (who does that!!!???)
I would be worried if I lived in her little town. They find dead bodies everywhere!
Elaine Nickolan
I normally enjoy the writing of J.A. Jance and the story lines created. This book started off with a twist and went into, what I thought was a pretty good story. As the body count rose, the story became more interesting. It was interesting to see just how they all would come together. However, the ending provided fell flat as far as I was concerned. Sheriff Brady has her own personal story going on with possible past indiscretions by her Dad, and previous husband, Andy. I am not sure that this s ...more
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second JA Jance novel in the series. My first book was about Ali Reynolds. I thoroughly enjoyed Damage Control. I liked all he characters and I especially liked the different plots going on at the same time. Joanna Brady is not only a chief in the sheriff department, but a wife and a mother of a teenager girl and a baby boy! She is the woman in charge of mostly men. In this book there are several murders which Joanna's deputies must solve. This book is easy reading, holds your interes ...more
Elizabeth Meadows
I think I enjoyed this installment of the Joanna Brady series a little more that the past few. There was a lot going on and you had to keep up, but that kept it interesting. There were some past questions answered as well as several cases on Joanna's plate in this book, plus it looks like some changes are coming for the next book regarding Joanna's coworkers.

I also liked the narrator of this audio book much better than some of the previous ones.
Rae Davies
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all of the books in this series, as well as the ones I have read in the Reynolds series (I am reading both simultaneously), this was by far the best. This is the first book which invoked such emotion in me that I actually cried.

My one issue is that I did not like the ending. It left a side story unresolved, and it's not a story big enough to be carried over into future books. I wish more had been explained with it.
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things are seldom as they seem. An elderly couple drive their car off the edge of a mountain view point. A young boy scavenging for items of value finds instead a bag of human bones. And then there are personal/family relationships that come into question as well Joanna Brady can't stop
the bad from happening. All she can do is try to control the damage.
Chris Birdy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One weekend in the dessert community brought torrential rains, a double suicide and the discovery of a dead body. Joanna Brady and her department have their hands full. The story shows a whole department working together to get a job done while they deal with personal and family problems. This is probably one of the strongest stories in the series.
William  Owens
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid piece of writing.

This is not a book that I would have picked but the conflict between family and the job was well done. The impact of the death of the officer was very moving.
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still one on my favorite series. I don't do full reviews of mysteries because there's too much chance of spoilers. Instead, I just put in notes so I can remember the plot. For this one: suicide pact, body bag, chocolate sauce, Ketamine, fallen officer and change and loss.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
Michael Tarpinian
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first J.A. Jance novel. I did not realize at the start that I was reading the continuation of a series. I found the story compelling. I will start at the beginning of this series and work through it. I hope the rest are as good as this one was.
Raoul Jerome
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite, but Joanna comes through again. This one was kind of contemplative.. Also kind of sad about Frank and George... she will get through it though.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clean who-done-it

It felt good to read an interesting mystery without a lot of sex and violence. A light read and not too predictable.
Judy Evenson
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's JAJance so of course it's a good read. Seem a bit weaker plot than others with four dead bodies and family relationships front and center. Joanna is one cool sheriff,
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Gary Barrentine
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Good mix of different stories.
Dave Nichols
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cop-story
A blend of several investigations, not least of which is the murder of one of her deputies. Carries along faircely in standard J. A. Jance fashion.
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although there were a lot of characters to keep track of.... this was a good read.
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I continue to enjoy reading about Joanna Brady and her family and her town.
Donna Alspach
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J. A. Jance is one of my favorite authors. There are many stories going on in this book, but each is handled well. Other authors do not handle multiple story lines well.
Joanna Brady Series 7 35 Oct 05, 2014 11:58AM
  • Borderline (Anna Pigeon, #15)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • The First Eagle (Leaphorn  & Chee, #13)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • A Night Too Dark (Kate Shugak, #17)
  • Wormwood (China Bayles, #17)
  • Sand Sharks (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #15)
  • Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #18)
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Joanna Brady (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1)
  • Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady, #4)
  • Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady, #5)
  • Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9)
  • Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep