Start by marking “The Game of Life and How to Play It” as Want to Read:
The Game of Life and How to Play It

The Game of Life and How to Play It

With her classic book, THE GAME OF LIFE AND HOW TO PLAY IT, Florence Scovel Shinn established herself as one of the most down-to-earth, practical, and helpful prosperity writers of her era. With a timeless message and the ability to explain success principles and how they work in an entertaining style, her writings are still considered the leaders in prosperity literature ...more
Published September 1st 1979 by DeVorss & Company (first published 1925)

Lola
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m as surprised as you are. I’m not sure I believe all of these short finance stories – they sound too good to be true – but this nonfiction piece does motivate me to become a better, fairer person and stop blaming other people for the bad stuff that happens to me. It’s very preachy though, so not for everyone.
Dawn
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My Mom originally found this book at a random restaurant. She fell in love with and gave a copy to many people. Fifteen years later life was kicking me in the pants and I saw the book on her shelf and read it for the first time. For me this book is life transforming. I continue to read it as I need to and I have memorized specific mediations. I hope this book will bring the same peace to you as it brought to me.
Allison
Remember The Secret? Oprah made a big thing about it a few years ago, and it become an international bestseller. This book came out in the 1920’s, but makes the same claims. Both are about how your thoughts and words will manifest themselves in your life. If you constantly worry about being hit by a bus, you will manifest yourself into getting hit by a bus. These books claim that the opposite is also true, and can therefore imagine your way to wealth, true love, and happiness.

I started reading T
Vaishali
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
A fantastic summary of some essential principles.

Excerpts :
-----------

“The imaging faculty plays a leading part in the game of life. … What man images, sooner or later, externalizes in his affairs.”

“Fear must be erased from the consciousness… We must substitute fear with faith, for fear is only inverted faith. It is faith in evil, instead of good... Fear is misdirected energy which must be redirected - or transmuted - into faith.”

“The object of the game of life is to seek clearly one’s good and
Anna
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book at least once in their life time. I have read this book and re read this book a dozen times. Food for thought!!
The Book
I don't know what I was expecting, but not this.

I don't even believe in God really, and I wouldn't ask Jesus for stuff.

But when I read this book, all I could think was YES. YES. THIS IS HOW IT IS.

Amazing stuff, I will be reading this over and over. This little book has some really profound answers and I wish I'd learned these lessons a little earlier. No matter, I'm learning them now.

I believe in the Universe.
Titilayo Ogunmakinwa
The book offers a very positive perspective. A very easy read that can be read time and time again for consistent motivation and in order to help stay focused.
Maggie
at first blush, i didn't like this book b/c i totally do not agree with the "manifestation" belief system so prevalent today. it is a very small god, made in our own self-serving image, who can be made to do the bidding of our petty desires: the gimmee-gimmee god.

however, i do believe in grace and in being open to grace and goodness; and i certainly believe in right behavior, esp. as zen buddhism defines it.

this book, on first blush, seemed to focus totally on the power of an individual -- thro
Fatima Al Sairafi
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
“The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.” This quote practically sums up the purpose of the book. Although Shinn uses a lot of biblical references to prove her arguments, I believe that her philosophies can be applied to all people with different faiths. She uses a lot of real life examples to prove her points which I loved since most people can relate to the examples she referred to.

Shinn mentions that throu
Jo Ledamun
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a load of old tosh!

I know many people may disagree & I DO NOT MEAN TO INSULT, but.......

I did not like this book at all - admittedly I was a bit skeptical about it from the beginning, but I wanted to give it a go, so I gave it my best shot!

The 3 best things about this book is that it's short and sweet, well written & the authors viewpoint/argument is easy to comprehend! But in MY OPINION, I think what Florence Scovel-Shinn suggests & argues about in her book about wealth, happin
Nour Kanaa
Oct 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, self-help, audiobook
I learnt nothing from this book!

Firstly, I have no doubt in positive thinking, but it's not all about positive thoughts. We can't just "ask god" for things and expect to have them all, because life is hard and it can be unfair sometimes. We should accept the fact that the rosy world doesn't exist. So if we want something we have to WORK in order to have it, not sitting and hoping that the thing we are asking for is going to be right in front of us.

I believe that I have to move forward and be str
Lisa
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
If Rhonda Byrne's THE SECRET had been written with a Christian bent, in a primarily Christian age and culture like the 20's, and contained only author anecdotes about people rather than by the people themselves, you would have this book: THE GAME OF LIFE AND HOW TO PLAY IT.

The author, Florence Scovel-Shinn, centers her book on the basic premise of the "law of attraction," which is also set forth by other famous authors/presenters such as Ester and Jerry Hicks. The idea, supported by many exampl
Chamique Holdsclaw
I still can't believe this book was written 80 years ago. Shinn was definitely before her time. I love the fact she used examples to help you grasp the biblical content. This book reinforced fearless faith, opening ones heart, an allowing the superconscious mind to lead us.
Christine

[This is an alternate version of an existing book; see my review of "The Game of Life and How to Play It."]

MY STARS..
..number 4 out of 5.

"The Game of Life for Women" has just about the same content as Ms. Shinn's original "The Game of Life and How to Play It"; but "For Women" gets one less star from me specifically for its translation into entirely feminine pronouns.

I can understand publishing a version in which non-gender-specific references are represented with feminine pronouns, rather tha
B.J. Richardson
Oct 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely horrible. I only give this book one star because zero is not an option.

Imagine that Deepak Chopra wanted to write a new book that (mis)quoted the Bible at least once every page. So he studied a years worth of Jessi Duplantis and Creflo Dollar sermons for his research. The book you can imagine he would have written is remarkably similar to this nonsense I have the pleasure of reviewing.

I won't go so far as to say Florence Shinn is a complete heretic. She doesn't string together enoug
Danijel Brestovac
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The game of life and how to play it

ch 1- Most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle it is a game. It is a game however it can not be played successfully without the knowledge of spiritual law.

Ch 5- the law of carma and the law of forgiveness : man recieve only that which he gives. The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Man thoughts, deeds and words return to him sooner or latery with outstandings accuracy.

Ch 7- if you fear a lion, you must run toward him, because the fear
Tahnia
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was a timely gift to myself, read it in exactly 24 hrs and feel reborn. Loved it, it just makes sense. Read with open heart and mind.

"Divine love dissolves and dissipates all wrong conditions in my mind, body and affairs, Divine love is the most powerful chemical in the universe..."
Noor Abd-alhadi
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
It is a nice and light book. Although it is very similar to The Secret, and although I am not a very big fan of such a type of books, but it has a number of nice and motivating messages to deal better with life's situations. I really enjoyed some parts. It is always necessary to recharge our energy, remind ourselves of our set of values, and ignore as much as we can the negativity and insecurities that surround us. Maybe the timing of reading it was perfect that's why I enjoyed it more than I ex ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Florence wrote her book in 1925 and I didn't know how lucid or practical the book would be and I was indeed in for a lovely surprise. The book reads so well, easily understood, lucid in style, practical and applicable in every way. It feels as if a compassionate mother is sitting with me and taking me by the hand and instructing me in order to apply my faith. Most important lesson Momma Florence has taught me is that God is my supply, and there is a supply for every demand. I have to confess tha ...more
Alexander Clawson
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
There are bits of hidden and isolated wisdom in this book. I like the intention of the book, which is to change one's attitude or outlook, but the majority of this book is total nonsense with zero scientific or historical backing. It's examples are ill described, and all follow the same structure. "For example: a person had a problem. This person applied said advice. Eventually the problem was solved because of said advice." Whether the advice be thinking something or saying something. It is as ...more
Maryam A-al khalifa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can see this as " the secret " breakdown
I love how when the world gives you something you should feel that you deserve it
How when you want your mind to believe something you makes it into a song
" I have a wonderful business in a wonderful way
And I give a wonderful clothing for a wonderful pay "
Kirtida Gautam
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chakra-5
How long must one remain in the dark?
Until one can see in the dark.
The Game of Life and How to Play It is a good enough new age manifestation book. There are places which are striking and make sense. But there is also too much simplification that makes manifestation look less like a science.
Tracey
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Repeat after me “I will do wonderful work for wonderful pay.” And within just a few weeks of saying and believing this, you will get a big fat raise. This is the divine right.

If only it was that easy.

Ni'Kesia
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone looking to open up their way of thinking. Good for those who are Christians and believers in God's good works.
Alatea
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Felt like reading "The Secret" or one of Joseph Murphy books...
BookCupid
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Either you have faith or you don't

Although some might argue that faith lies in the heart, much of this book begs to differ. It seems faith is in the mind. If we believe good things will come to us, then they’ll come. If we know we deserve that promotion and act like we already got it, then it’s ours. Whether it’s work goals, love or even self-growth, the power of visualization wins.

The reason why I gave it such a low rating is because of the repetition of these facts. Over and over again…
Shena Omotola
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved how the author wrote about the concepts in a way that anyone could grasp and I love all the examples of people’s stories that she shared. This book confirms what I’ve always knew about listening to gut and that still small voice inside; when I was a child but never knew exactly what is was.
SWAROOP CHOUGULE
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book first published in 1925, focuses on power of positive thinking and power of imagination. It is more of a spiritual book based on ideas like power of expectancy, power of words, law of substitution, law of karma, law of non resistance, law of forgiveness, law of use and law of love. And it has a lot of references to God, Jesus and Christianity.
S. McPherson
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook of this and found it so insightful. I'll be listening to it again and again, I'm sure!
Grace
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I always wanted to read this but the language would stop me, so I read it in 10 minute a day chunks, it was uplifting which was the goal

• Prosperity
  • Co-creating at Its Best: A Conversation Between Master Teachers
  • The Amazing Results of Positive Thinking
  • Outrageous Openness: Letting the Divine Take the Lead
  • Practical Intuition
  • Maximize Your Potential Through the Power of your Subconscious Mind to Create Wealth and Success: Book 2
  • 212 the Extra Degree
  • At Your Command
  • The Awakening Course: The Secret to Solving All Problems
  • The Secret of the Ages
  • Power of Awareness: New Edition Incorporating Neville's Later Notes
  • Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
“Most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle, it is a game.” 32 likes
“Man must prepare for the thing he has asked for, when there isn't the slightest sign of it in sight.” 27 likes