Start by marking “The Twelfth Card” as Want to Read:
The Twelfth Card

The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme #6)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  12,632 Ratings  ·  513 Reviews
Geneva Settle is a bright young high school student from Harlem writing a paper about one of her ancestors, a former slave called Charles Singleton. Geneva is also the target of a ruthless professional killer.
Criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his policewoman partner Amelia Sachs are called into the case, working frantically to anticipate where the hired gun will strike next an
Published June 15th 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published June 7th 2005)

*TANYA*
It took me a very long time to get through this book. I kept reading it in pauses because it never really held on to my attention. It didn't have the same pizzazz as the first 5 books in the series.
Richard
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
5.5/10

This is quite hard to rate, to give it two or three stars is quite tricky. In some ways it was the standard thriller you would come to expect from this series, albeit a lower quality than some of the others in the series. But some of the dialogue between characters was so outdated and looked forced it was hard to read. I’m not from Harlem but I’m pretty sure not many people say “phat” and “whack”. It reminded me of when Joey in Friends tried to act young, saying what you assume people say.
Obsidian
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
I dithered about the rating for this book. I ultimately enjoyed the book, but I got really tired of all the Red Herrings in this book. It's beyond absurd. I also don't think Rhyme has super human abilities that he can figure out what the true motive is beyond all of these people he investigates. I did love seeing Kara from the previous book in this one though. And we get to see some more scenes with Rhymes and Sachs that show them as a couple.

Rhyme and Sachs are called in by Lon Selitto to inve
Lincoln Rhyme gets involved in the attempted assault of a 16-year-old researching her ancestor, a freed slave accused of stealing. I think there are things to appreciate about this book. Over time, the author has added new characters to this universe and both fleshed out and grown the primary characters. It feels like time has actually passed and the world has changed and developed. But, possibly unrelatedly, a lot of the rigor, for lack of a better word, is gone from the technical aspects of fo ...more
Donald
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I'm pretty sure I've read other 'Lincoln Rhyme' novels. And I'm pretty sure I liked them. But this one did not hold my attention at all.

First problem I noticed was that Jeffrey tries to write in black vernacular, Ebonics, AAVE (African American Vernacular English), whatever you may find to be PC today. The issues I have with this are twofold: that it (the vernacular) changes with each generation so the story feels dated already and that having George Guidall try to pull off saying "I'm down wit
Robin
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read the first five in the series, so I missed out on that character development. I liked the story ok, but I found some of the dialogue stereotyping and demeaning. As an audio book, anyway, the language attributed to many of the characters-- especially the African American characters-- wasn't believable/ felt inappropriate. I found myself rolling my windows up to avoid offending the occupants of other vehicles.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Love, love, love the Lincoln Rhyme books. This one was excellent also!
Andrea
Mar 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, really bad. Hated the dialog, found it very hard to get through. I only read until the end because it was a book club selection. Had it not been, I would have put it down the minute I started reading Deaver's version of African American Vernacular. Embarrassing!
Mike
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhymes and Sachs help a 16 yr old girl survive a deadly conspiracy using their forensic skills.
Tony
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver- The Twelfth Card (Pocket Star Books 2006) 4.75 Stars

When a young girl researches her families past for a school project, her life suddenly explodes into a twisted web of danger. Now Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs must stop this cold-hearted killer before he succeeds in his mission. Found at the scene, is the twelfth card from a tarot pack, the hanged man. They must figure out what everything means. Is the girl being hunted down because of the possible changes to civil rights this
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0743260929 3 12 May 12, 2014 09:07AM
Diva's Book Club: OUR 2ND READ ----> THE TWELFTH CARD by Jeffery Deaver 4 6 Nov 18, 2012 05:45PM
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware, #17)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Death Dance (Alexandra Cooper, #8)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • 206 Bones (Temperance Brennan, #12)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • Storm Prey (Lucas Davenport, #20)
  • Call After Midnight
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)
“Boys groped, boys dissed, boys put you down. But it was the girls who made you bleed” 1 likes
“I criminalisti adorano i sospetti che soffrono di malattie.” 0 likes