Start by marking “The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)

The Mercy Rule

(Dismas Hardy #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,248 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Justice...

Once Dismas Hardy was a cop. Now he spends his days in a lawyer's suit, billing hours to a corporate client in a downtown San Francisco office. Hardy's wife and kids like it that way. Then one client changes everything.

Compassion...

Graham Russo, a former baseball star, is charged with murdering his dying father. Was it suicide, the last desperate act of a dying
Published August 10th 1999 by Dell (first published September 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Mercy Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercy Rule

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
Marti
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of John Lescroart since the first book of his that I read. I like the idea of having characters which recur in subsequent books--even ones like Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky, who are at times seriously flawed.

This is probably the longest of his novels, and quite entertaining with many twists and turns. The villains are villanous, and the hero not always heroic.
Chris Callahan
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! Its a well crafted combination of legal drama, police procedural and insights about the realities of the bureaucracy that governs the system. This is the 5th entry in a series but, while its helpful to know the background of the characters by reading the series in order, I think this could be easily read independently of the other books. While this is a different author with a different writing style, it reminds me of the quality of a Michael Connelly book and thats high ...more
Mary JL
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of mystery/legal thrillers
Shelves: mystery-horror
I have read at least seven of the Dismas Hardy books and this series has been very enjoyable.

This book continues the winning streak. I really enjoy Lescroart's writing style. His books are detailed and you need to read carefully to follow all the little clues hidden here and there. I don't want to say more because of spoilers, but this is a great addition to the Dismas Hardy series. They can be read out of order as each stands alone.

Highly recommended for fans of legal thrillers.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JANUARY 26, 2017
Narrator: David Colacci

I liked this for the most part but found it overly long - 18 hours! It could have been shortened without affecting the plot, IMO.

I did enjoy Dismas investigating the case against Graham and I found his wife, Frannie's interaction with Dis refreshing. She's smart, independent, and supportive towards her husband - something, at the start of the book, Dis doesn't seem quite aware of. So Frannie surprised me in a pleasant way because most
Joel Ungar
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is the second Dismas Hardy novel I've read (possibly the third - see below) and I will be reading the rest of the series. The characters are wonderful - flawed and human. I read too many books where all of the characters are almost superhuman - the men were at the top of their classes and the women aren't real. Dismas Hardy is real - loves his family but seems to love his career more. He has deep friendships, and sometimes he pushes them to the limits.

The book touches on assisted suicide,
Joyce
In rereading Lescroart I'm reminded about how topical his legal thrillers are--this is right to die--and how determined he is to solve the crime, not just get his client off. Investigative, good dialog, SF zeitgeist. And always a pleasure to listen to David Colacci.
Tim
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although this story is much longer than necessary, the last 1/3 saves it from becoming a disaster. This is a rescue Houdini would be proud of. 7 of 10 stars
Byron Washington
Good Tale!!

Reading John Lescroart was something like a palate cleanser. I needed a break from books about love, romance, angst and all of the rest that evolves from that four letter word. Just a good old murder/mystery coupled with extensive courtroom drama and backroom politics, and Lescroart, Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky ALWAYS deliver.

Buy it, read it and enjoy!!👍🔥👍🔥👍🔥👍🔥👍🔥

Kathy
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Mercy Rule. Ive been a Lescroart fan for quite a while. Id recommend this as a good quick read!! ...more
Sheila
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-lescroart
Interesting and satisfying read. Lescroart is a good writer. I would definitely recommend this book. It is based partly on assisted suicide and murder filled with courtroom drama.
Sridhar Babu
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
AUTHOR: JOHN LESCROART

CHARACTERS: Dismas Hardy, Graham Russo,Sal Russo,Abe Glitsky, David Freeman, Sarah Evans,Gil Soma, Art Drysdale, and Dean Powell

LOCATION: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA STATE ((USA))

GENRE : THRILLER ...

PLOT
Graham Russo, a former baseball star, is charged with murder of his dying father Sal Russo. Was it a suicide, the last desperate act of a dying man? or just mercy killing...!!!The autopsy report confirms that the cause of death is due to morphine overdose ,injected by
Lee
This older John Lescroart novel finds Dismas Hardy defending another lawyer who is accused of killing his dying father. When the district attorney fails to prosecute a politically ambitious State Attorney steps in sending an assistant with a grudge against the defendant to prosecute. As usually with Lescroart lots of twists and turns and good legal action leaving you up in the air on how the case will turn out and who is the killer.
Marcia
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story has many ideas: assisted suicide, right to life, care for the elderly, betrayal, and lust for power. Most of the characters react in some way to these concerns. Further, Dismas Hardy adjusts himself to married life with children and at the same time realizes he is a defense attorney rather than a prosecutor. I like the realistic way the recurring characters change a little to adapt to their circumstances.
Colleen
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
My mind wanders when I'm reading this book ... character development not what it should be. Perhaps that will change ... I'm 100 pages into the book -- and it's taken me over 2 weeks to get to that point ... not a good sign for me who can polish off a book in a couple of days.
Robin
Mar 29, 2012 added it
I liked this book. It was well done and was thought provoking.
Kirsty Darbyshire
I think I'd better mark this one done as "abandoned", I just can't get into the story at all. I like the premise, I just don't find myself wanting to read this book.
Mark
Love these San Francisco-based legal/police thrillers...The characters of both Abe Glitzky and Dismas Hardy are wonderfully drawn & followers of the series care for them and their circle of friends and acquaintances...I've read these all out of order with this one a prequel to "The Hearing," which I read last week...Even though older, there is a bit of currency in both...I don't think Lescroart thought much of the Kamala Harris-like character that he's drawn as Diz's legal foil...In this ...more
Patty Jaacks
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
an engaging and thought-provoking tale about a current day issue that resonates with many people who are facing end-of-life decisions or are caring for someone who is. It has a whodunnit aspect that had me guessing until the perpetrator was revealed. Both sides of the issue of euthanasia are examined through various characters and their actions. Motivations of the characters are scrutinized as the plot unfolds. I bought this book at a used bookstore in Australia and though it was written quite a ...more
Joel
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good story with complexity, twists, the usual Dismas family issues and series characters. Dismas continues to struggle to find his niche in the law and each decision along the way seems to have both positive and negative consequences. The primary story this time has to do with a client who is in a possible assisted death/murder situation that Dismas finds himself representing.

The series seems to be getting better with more complex stories to go with strong characters with challenging
Mikki Fisher
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read some lackluster books by this author - and having decided not to bother with any more - I'm pleased I did. This was an excellent legal process novel which kept me guessing right until the very end (and I guessed wrongly as to the ultimate identity of the murderer). SIGH Never mind. I'm pleased that the story had more substance to it than the previous novels I'd read. I will read more by Mr Lescroart.
Phil
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The more one reads, a Dismas Hardy series, the better he becomes! The Mercy Rule is by far the best by John Lescroart. Not only an eye catching topic with many a who "dunnit" to keep a readers attention span to the hilt. Then the unexpected villain pops up and what a shocker! The only downside for this reader was the ending, however that's a very minor when compared to the whole action.
Pratiti Majumder
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
enjoyed the legal drama but felt it was overly wrong, could have been shortened without affecting the plot in any way. For most half of the book i found it to be slow paced, when it finally picked up pace it was really interesting and i enjoyed it.
Shirley
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
great story with some gripping moments.
Terri Floccare
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diz and Abe take a look at mercy killing (and more, of course!!) Not preachy, but enough content to start one thinking...
Phyllis
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great. I love John LesCroart.
Russ Leavitt
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally books that have this many pages, I lose interest about 3/4 of the way through. But this was such a compelling story. Bravo!
Donna
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
very slow reading, Reading Part 1 & 5 would have been sufficient and gotten the gist!!! I expected better from this Author!
Colleen
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Great characters & the social issue that it addresses!
Judy Green
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
UNC+
Melanie Wissel
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Dismas Hardy series. Always a good read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Last Chance Lawyer (Daniel Pike, #1)
  • Court of Killers (Daniel Pike Series Book 2)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Trial by Blood (Daniel Pike Series Book 3)
  • House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Corrupt Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 3)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett, #20)
  • The Big Lie
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • One Good Deed
  • The Guardians
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)

News & Interviews