Start by marking “Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment” as Want to Read:
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

If you are an experienced C programmer with a working knowledge of UNIX, you cannot afford to be without this up-to-date tutorial on the system call interface and the most important functions found in the ANSI C library. Rich Stevens describes more than 200 system calls and functions; since he believes the best way to learn code is to read code, a brief example accompanies ...more
Published June 30th 1992 by Addison-Wesley Professional

Michael Finocchiaro
I gave this one 5* because it is an excellent reference for UNIX geeks and belongs in the standard IT cannon for us old farts that came up through the pre-Facebook Era of the 80s and 90s. Highly readable and with excellent examples. A classic.
TK Keanini
I had the pleasure in my lifetime to take a tutorial from Stevens at a USENIX conference before he passed. It was an experience I will never forget. All of his books capture his ability to transfer very complex information in a way that no one else can quite do for me. Just like you will always remember that teacher who really made your wheels turn, I will always be greatful to Richard Stevens for his contribution to UNIX and TCPIP networking.
Ed
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unix/Linux programmers
Shelves: work
This and K&R C are the 2 best books on Unix programming.
Jack-Benny
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really good book about programming in UNIX. I've learned a great deal from this book. From time to time it can be a bit boring and cumbersome, but overall an excellent book.
Thang
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book to learn programming in Unix
I read till chaper 8, I will read again sometime
Arun
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Working through this book again... Nothing short of 5 starts would do for this one of a kind
book written by an Unix god.
Jim Reprogle
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Top notch book from Stevens. Should be required reading in all CompSci programs.
Steven Raspudic
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anything by Stevens is a classic, including this one. Will only be of interest to systems programmers of course.
Xavier G.
Quote:
Earlier versions of the UNIX System did not have the mkdir function; it was introduced with
4.2BSD and SVR3. In the earlier versions, a process had to call the mknod function to create a
new directory — but use of the mknod function was restricted to superuser processes. To
circumvent this constraint, the normal command that created a directory, mkdir(1), had to be
owned by root with the set-user-ID bit on. To create a directory from a process, the mkdir(1)
command had to be invoked with the sy
Prashanth Rao
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
+ Comprehensive, both in breadth, and in depth

- Dry

Compared to writers such as Kernighan, Pike and Ritchie, I find Stevens' style awfully boring. K, P and R, for example, bring in interesting problems (e.g. Markov chains) to solve with the tools they are going to introduce to us. Stevens, in contrast, sticks to just explaining functions, mechanism, etc.

Good reference, but boring.
Mark
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stevens had an amazing ability to simply and clearly explain technical topics that can be quite complex. While I knew quite a bit about UNIX system programming, these book helped pull this topic together in a more complete way that I could have on my own, or by reading several other books. I still find myself regularly reaching for this book.
Vasil Kolev
Probably the best book on any UNIX programming. It's good for novices, and everyone can learn something from the book. It doesn't contain some of the weird and new interfaces some of the OSes contain, but sticks to the standards and promotes a pretty good programming style and interface.
Soh Kam Yung
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing, reference
A good summary and guide to advanced programming in the Unix environment. Covers most of the major Unix APIs and shows you not only how to use the interfaces but how to use them properly and securely.
Qubitng
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First read this in my first year after college graduation. There is fantastic clarity in exposition and I absolutely loved the book/page layout and font standards. It really hooked me into the whole Unix philosophy. Absolutely one of the best written and best-looking programming books.
Michael Isaac
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read discussing UNIX.
Cathy_chang
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book
Warren Mcpherson
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very approachable and readable, much bigger than most other things on my bookshelf, this book delivers a wonderful insight into the details of Unix architecture and programming.
Bhas Karan
Mar 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
i want to read this book entirely.
Amit Bongir
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Explanation with code is done elegantly. The author mentions concepts/code from previous chapters in every section that needs them.
Kurt Schwehr
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Read this around 1995-6 from front to back.
Zhibinw
Biblical!
Dimitri
Darrell Ulm
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book on the subject of Unix Systems Programming, additional reference is usually needed as expected.
Wm
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work, computers
Brutal to read, but I use this text on a regular basis.
Emil Petkov
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, want to find the time and the persistence to read the next five in the series...
Bernard Ndegwa
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you need an example when in doubt of how the standard library implements a function this is the book to go to.
Pete
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A stunningly well written book on how to harness the UNIX programming environment. It is a tome worth reading. Highly recommended.
Dean Jones
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
How I learned Unix programming. Great reference.
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • The Art of UNIX Programming
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • The Design of the UNIX Operating System
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
  • sed & awk

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »