Start by marking “Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment” as Want to Read:
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

If you are an experienced C programmer with a working knowledge of UNIX, you cannot afford to be without this up-to-date tutorial on the system call interface and the most important functions found in the ANSI C library. Rich Stevens describes more than 200 system calls and functions; since he believes the best way to learn code is to read code, a brief example accompanies ...more
Published June 30th 1992 by Addison-Wesley Professional

Start your review of Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
Michael Finocchiaro
I gave this one 5* because it is an excellent reference for UNIX geeks and belongs in the standard IT cannon for us old farts that came up through the pre-Facebook Era of the 80s and 90s. Highly readable and with excellent examples. A classic.
TK Keanini
I had the pleasure in my lifetime to take a tutorial from Stevens at a USENIX conference before he passed. It was an experience I will never forget. All of his books capture his ability to transfer very complex information in a way that no one else can quite do for me. Just like you will always remember that teacher who really made your wheels turn, I will always be greatful to Richard Stevens for his contribution to UNIX and TCPIP networking.
Ed
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unix/Linux programmers
Shelves: work
This and K&R C are the 2 best books on Unix programming. ...more
Jack-Benny
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really good book about programming in UNIX. I've learned a great deal from this book. From time to time it can be a bit boring and cumbersome, but overall an excellent book.
Jim Reprogle
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Top notch book from Stevens. Should be required reading in all CompSci programs.
Drobinsky Alexander
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent reference to modern POSIX API.
Scott Holstad
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Possibly the best UNIX book I ever read and one of the best tech books ever. I don't know how I could have made it without it.
Arun
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Working through this book again... Nothing short of 5 starts would do for this one of a kind
book written by an Unix god.
Thang
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c
Very good book to learn programming in Unix
I read till chaper 8, I will read again sometime
Xavier G.
Quote:
Earlier versions of the UNIX System did not have the mkdir function; it was introduced with
4.2BSD and SVR3. In the earlier versions, a process had to call the mknod function to create a
new directory — but use of the mknod function was restricted to superuser processes. To
circumvent this constraint, the normal command that created a directory, mkdir(1), had to be
owned by root with the set-user-ID bit on. To create a directory from a process, the mkdir(1)
command had to be invoked with the sy
Prashanth Rao
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
+ Comprehensive, both in breadth, and in depth

- Dry

Compared to writers such as Kernighan, Pike and Ritchie, I find Stevens' style awfully boring. K, P and R, for example, bring in interesting problems (e.g. Markov chains) to solve with the tools they are going to introduce to us. Stevens, in contrast, sticks to just explaining functions, mechanism, etc.

Good reference, but boring.
Mark
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stevens had an amazing ability to simply and clearly explain technical topics that can be quite complex. While I knew quite a bit about UNIX system programming, these book helped pull this topic together in a more complete way that I could have on my own, or by reading several other books. I still find myself regularly reaching for this book.
Kam Yung Soh
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing, reference
A good summary and guide to advanced programming in the Unix environment. Covers most of the major Unix APIs and shows you not only how to use the interfaces but how to use them properly and securely.
Qubitng
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First read this in my first year after college graduation. There is fantastic clarity in exposition and I absolutely loved the book/page layout and font standards. It really hooked me into the whole Unix philosophy. Absolutely one of the best written and best-looking programming books.
Vasil Kolev
Probably the best book on any UNIX programming. It's good for novices, and everyone can learn something from the book. It doesn't contain some of the weird and new interfaces some of the OSes contain, but sticks to the standards and promotes a pretty good programming style and interface.
Wm
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work, computers
Brutal to read, but I use this text on a regular basis.
Dean Jones
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
How I learned Unix programming. Great reference.
Chris
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally started reading this. Great book, wish I read it 4 years ago when it would have been more helpful. Much faster way to learn the gist of the commands than reading man pages.
Ramesh
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Get the second edition.
Ned Kubica
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from the past. I still have a copy of this book on my shelf. Good memories.
Dimitri
Warren Mcpherson
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very approachable and readable, much bigger than most other things on my bookshelf, this book delivers a wonderful insight into the details of Unix architecture and programming.
Bhas Karan
Mar 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
i want to read this book entirely.
Emil Petkov
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, want to find the time and the persistence to read the next five in the series...
Pete
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A stunningly well written book on how to harness the UNIX programming environment. It is a tome worth reading. Highly recommended.
Kyle The Hacker
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
APUE is the magic tome of POSIX development. Code examples for most things, and pretty good coverage of, as it were, programming in the Unix environment.
Zhibinw
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unix
Aurimas Mikalauskas
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print
Gave me a good understanding of unix internals which was exactly the goal I had when picking up this book.
Kurt Schwehr
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Read this around 1995-6 from front to back.

• The C Programming Language
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Programming Perl
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
  • Algorithms

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »