Start by marking “How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day” as Want to Read:
How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day

How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day

Genius is made, not born. And human beings are gifted with an almost unlimited potential for learning and creativity. Now you can uncover your own hidden abilities, sharpen your senses, and liberate your unique intelligence—by following the example of the greatest genius of all time, Leonardo da Vinci.

Acclaimed author Michael J. Gelb, who has helped thousands of people exp
Published February 8th 2000 by Dell (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

مهنا
كتاب جيد من الناحية التطبيقية و العملية ، وهذا أساس فلسفة دافنشي في العلم و المعرفة القائمة على التجربة !
مع نهاية كل باب تجد نفسك اما تقييم ذاتي و واجب تطبيقي ، أعتقد ان من يتجاهلها لن يخرج بفائدة بعكس الذي سيطبق ويستفيد كثيراً . افتقدت الجانب العبقري و الجمالي لدى دافنشي فالكاتب لم يفلح في ابراز ذلك رغم تقديسه لليوناردو ، وهذا لم يعجبني أيضاً .. عجبني القسم الثالث - الأخير- اذ وضع الكاتب تقنيات للرسم و علاقة الرسم و كل تقنية بالحياة العامة . تفاجأت بهذا القسم.و أحببته . خصوصا الحديث عن الظل و
Teri Temme
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and inspiring book. Leonardo da Vinci was a mystery to me before I read this book, now I truly appreciate what he has given the world.

The book discusses 7 Principles:
• Curiosita - Am I asking the right questions?
• Dimostrazione - How can I improve my ability to learn from my mistakes and experiences?
• Sensazione - What is my plan for sharpening my senses as I age?
• Sfumato - How can I strengthen my ability to hold creative tension to embrace the major paradoxes of life?
• Arte/Scienz
Mark Fallon
Sep 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
A really good idea lost in poor, self-indulgent writing. I'm not sure who Gelb is in love with more, himself or daVinci. Let's see, the book is written in English, but let's name the principals in bastardized Italian to make it special.

Better yet - "His physics studies anticipated the modern disciplines of hydrostatics, optics, and mechanics." Wow - he studied physics 200 years before the science of physics and calculus were invented! As Dr. Cavanagh once wrote on one of my research papers - an
كِـنزة بلقـاسم
ومازالنا نحن العرب نعطي لبعض الكتب أهمية لا تستحقها للأسف

الإيجابيات :
- معلومات جميلة وكثيرة عن شخصية ليوناردو ديفنتشي إذ تنهي الكتاب وأنا تحمل حقيبة ذهنية تحتوي معلومات لابأس بها عن هذا الظاهرة
- إذا كنت مهتما بالرسم ولواحقه من فنون فستسفيد لكن الفائدة ستكون أعظم لو التحقت بمعهد الفنون الجميلة لتطوير مواهبك

السلبيات
كلّ ما تبقي من الكتاب عدا ما ذكرت أعلاه لكنني منحته نجمتين لأني تعرفت على ديفنتشي من خلاله
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
This wasn't really a satisfying read for me. When it came to Leonardo's life and genius and the Renaissance, it didn't give me as much detail as I would have liked, which frustrated me, as bald statements were made without sufficient evidence to back them up (and the evidence and argument would have been fascinating to read about). Then when it got to the 7 principles Gelb proposes to make us think like Leonardo, they seemed to have the opposite problem - a ridiculous amount of detail and prescr ...more
Mark
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
A lot of interesting ideas and exercises to build creativity, lateral thinking, and a balanced lifestyle, but really most of the time abusing the DaVinci metaphor to hawk the standard late 90's New Age yuppie fare and make it seem authentic, ancient and proven by giving it a fancy parchment wrapping. In that sense, not unlike noepaganism, but with a Renaissance theme. Gelb's parroting of many common falsehoods about the Middle Ages turned me off early in the introduction.
da AL
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting history about da Vinci, which I enjoyed.

Mixed with the author's suggested exercises for accessing those parts of our intelligence, which I didn't enjoy nearly as much. They were fine ideas, but I wanted to hear more da Vinci specifics.

Perhaps I'd have enjoyed more if I'd known better what to expect.

Audio book reader did an excellent job.
Joshua
Jan 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was an utter disappointment. The author seemed blinded by his love of Leonardo da Vinci and it impaired him from actually writing a decent book.
Gelb took principles that could be associated with Leonardo da Vinci, briefly listed common self-help tips under the appropriate categories and dropped da Vinci's name often, as if that made the ideas original. It felt like he was using a celebrity to sell a product.
At the end of the book, there's a bonus: A Beginner's Da Vinci Drawing Course.
James
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Children
I can't believe a school would require a grad student to read this book.

I skipped part 1 and went to part 2 to get to the meat of the book.
After reading 5 chapters I found there wasn't any.

This might be a good book for 5th graders,
or people who are mentally challenged,
but please, adults should be at a higher level than this.

Just page after page of simplistic advice to learn from your mistakes and make word lists... blahhh

Arwa ..
الكتاب من كتب التي تهتم ببناء الذات .

يتكلم بالبدايه عن عبقرية ليوناردو دافنشي وابداعه على مستوى متعدد ومختلف من الذكاءات ، ويحاول الكتاب بسبع مراحل قسمها على حسب طريقة تفكير ليوناردو دافنشي التحفيز لنفكر كطريقته المبدعه .

الكتاب جميل ولو انني مملت هذه النوعيه من الكتب لكثرة قرائتي بهذا المجال ولكن الذي حمسني لقراءة الكتاب توقعت شي مختلف عن عادة كتب بناء الذات .. مللت في مواضع واستمتعت بمواضع اخرى خصوصا استمتعت بالتفاصيل التي عرفتها عن ليوناردو دافنشي اعماله و ابداعاته مابين الرسم والنحت والموسيقى
Susan Branch
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has a little genius in them, this book is for the care and feeding of that genius with seven principles set out by Leonardo da Vinci. I read this years ago, and I loved it. It made me look at my creative self from a different point of view. I enjoyed the exercises in the book -- especially "Mind Mapping." It did not make me into a genius, but it did help to heighten my awareness of every day experiences. I very much enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone wanting to open themselves ...more
Clay Mabbitt
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was on a business trip and had the time to do a lot of the exercises in my hotel room. I got a real kick out of it. Leonardo was a life hacker before we had a word for it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to go pull it back off the book shelf.
Norm Davis
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Pretentious New England socialites with too much time on their hands.
Recommended to Norm by: 63
I've moved this book to my discarded-unfinished shelf. While the review was incredibly simple, in part due to my hundreds of books like this that I've read, but in all honesty, I didn't complete reading the book.

How to think like Leonardi Da Vinci:

The book begins by explaining a bit about the 7 intelligences which I was previously aware of from taking an excellent “How to study” course. Mr. Gelb offers these concepts of intelligence in Italian... just my thing... I want to learn new languages
Sanjeev Kotnala
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
THINK LIKE DA VINCI

A simple yet a bit complicated is this book. In the book ‘THINK LIKE DA VINCI’ Michael J. Gelb promises to take you through 7 Easy Steps to Boosting Your Everyday Genius. The steps are not that simple for an average man like me. They seem really obvious once you read them. I do believe that practicing them is definite to have great impact in your life.

This book gets a RECOMMENDED READING tag from me. Though we could have liked to have better quality and colour pictures.

Credit
Bazza Al-khayyat
صدرت الطبعة الأولى من الكتاب في سنة ١٩٩٨ ولازال في انتشار حول العالم نظرا لتوفر النسخ المترجمة منه بلغات عديدة ، الكتاب يصنف من كتب التنمية الذاتية ، يناقش فيه الكاتب مظاهر وأسباب عبقرية ليوناردو دافنشي الذي برع ليس فقط بالفن بل وبالهندسة وآلات الحرب والتشريح والفلسفة جامعا معها بنية جسدية قوية وصحية .

يتناول الكاتب سبع قواعد تمكنك من التفكير على طريقة ليوناردو دافينشي لتسبر أغوار نفسك وتزهر إبداعاتك وإمكاناتك على أقصاها ، وهي كالتالي :
١- الفضول والتساؤل
٢- البرهنة والإثبات
٣- الاحساس
٤- الشك والتسا
Elena Semenchuk
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly inspirational book, especially for those with numerous interests and incessant curiosity.
Looking for simplicity and minimalism in everything I have found a wonderful way to explore myself and be more creative in everyday life.
Shaymaa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
صعبٌ صعبًا :3
حتى لو طبقنا كل الاسس بحذافيرها صعب ليوناردو دافنشي يتكرر مرة تانية باحساسه وابداعه ...
يلا أهي محاولة ..ما تضرش :D
Hanouf  Almutawa
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
ممتاز و مثير للمهتمين في الفنون وايضا في تثقيف القارئ بكيفية بناء عقله وحياته العلمية وفي طرح التساؤلات مثل العلماء الكبار
Tareq Ghanem
لونارد دافيتشي عبقرية فذه في تاريخ البشرية، وهو الصفحة اﻷولي في تأرخ عصر النهضة، أختاره توني بوزان اشهر عالم للمخ واﻷعصاب والتنميه البشريه ليكون اعظم شخصيه عبقرية استطاعت ان توظف ملكات اﻷنسان العقلية ﻷعلي مستوايتها، هذا الكتاب ليس سيرة ذاتيه ليوناردو دافيتشي ولكنه سيره ذهنيه عقليه لهذا العبقري بحث خلالها ميكل جلب الاليات الذهنيه ال تي أستخدامها ليوناردو حتي استطاع ان يرسم لوحات خالدة ويخترع اختراعات مبتكرة ومتعددة لم يتم تنفيذها الا بعد مئات السنين، وأستطاع ان يتوصل ﻷستنتاجات سبقت كل علماء عصره ...more
James
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
With the wealth of information and principles for action presented by Michael Gelb in this book one wonders where to start? It provides an "inspirational" approach to improving your mind and your life. I have always been fascinated by fictional superheroes and I also enjoy reading about the lives of geniuses of the past in all fields of endeavor. This book uses a close study of the life and achievements of Leonardo da Vinci to identify principles that each of us can apply in our life to improve ...more
Akash Venkatachalam
Everyday we come across air, water, birds, flowers, planes, etc., but we hardly think about their artistic subtleties. Centuries ago, a maestro, was able to link all these subtle dots with his marvelous thinking style. His interest in everything was equaled by his spontaneous originality in response to everything that interested him. Unfortunately Leonardo Da Vinci could be the most underrated person in history.
In this book, Michael Gleb unveils that thinking style and also stimulates us to d
Ann
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lsu-book-club
Leonardo started a lot of projects that he never finished -- but the ones he did finish are amazing. The author, after examining Leo's life, saw that there were seven habits or characteristics that seemed to guide da Vinci and make him the Renaissance man that he was. The purpose of this book is not to make us feel inadequate by comparing ourselves to the Maestro, but to give us a path to follow, so that we may emulate him in our lives as much as possible.

The one drawback that our bookclub sees:
Kaumal
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A lovely book which gives an insight into the mind of one of the greatest geniuses that ever lived. The seven steps are described brilliantly and many exercises are given on how to improve each aspect.

A great thing this book teaches is to always keep a journal to jot down any ideas that you come up with before you forget them!

A valuable book for anyone interested in self-growth and learning.
τλιϓλ
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: others
لا بأس به. أحببت الصفحات الأخيرة المقلوبة
د.ريمة
كتاب علمي إرشادي مهم، وكأنك تتجول في عقل ليوناردو دافنشي، الكتاب يقرأ أكثر من مرة.
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thinker
Có thể, mọi ngôn từ ca ngợi Leonardo da Vinci sẽ trở nên dư thừa.
Một họa sĩ, với những tác phẩm để đời: nàng Mona Lisa, bức họa Bữa tối cuối cùng.
Một nhà giải phẩu học: đỉnh điểm với giải phẫu cơ thể người và ngựa dưới nhiều góc nhìn khác nhau
Nhà phát minh: tùm lum thứ từ cái dù nhảy với kích thước duy nhất, tàu ngầm, súng thần công
Một kiến trúc sư với những công trình để đời như nhà thờ ở Milan, lâu đài vua nước Pháp.
Nhà điêu khắc với công trình duy nhất còn tồn tại tới bây giờ là ba tượng đồng
Rawan Albakour
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
يتحدث لنا عن كيفية حياة ليوناردو دافنشي واهم انجازاته وطرقه في التفكير.. بعض الافكار لم افهمها ولم اقتنع بها (ربما لانني لست عبقرية😏) بلاضافة لقسم تعليم الرسم والمنظور والاشياء التي ليست من هوايتي.
بلاضافة للجانب التنموي التقليدي الذي يدور حول اهم الخطوات المكررة الذي استعملها ليوناردو وباقي الكتب الأخرى: ( اسأل وكن فضولي_ رتب اولوياتك _ نظم وقتك _ دون وارسم الاشياء الهامة....) وغيرها من الوعظ التنموي الآني الذي يتبخر بعد قراءة الكتاب 😁
Gandalf Wizard15
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Good premise, lots of useless fluff, not much good content.

You can get this same quality of content by just going to reddit and searching in r/iwtl "IWTL how to be smarter" or reading a summary of it online.
Meriem  ismahane
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I Learnt a lot about the Genius Leonardo, a lot...

Dhanada Mishra
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent book that uses valuable lessons from Da Vinci's life and works into a self-help manual. Learned many new facets of the great man's life and at the same time found many useful tools to apply to everyday life. Highly recommend to anybody - be it a professional or a layperson looking to get ore out of life.
تلفیق با عنوان اصلی 1 3 Jun 07, 2016 10:54PM

• Thresholds of the Mind
  • Uncommon Genius
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity as Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi
  • Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life
  • The Mind Map Book: How to Use Radiant Thinking to Maximize Your Brain's Untapped Potential
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • Universal Traveler
  • Collage Unleashed
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • It's Happy Bunny: Love Bites
  • Spark: How Creativity Works
  • Raw Art Journaling
  • Making Color Sing: Practical Lessons in Color and Design
Michael J. Gelb is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius
thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields
of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership. Gelb leads
seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike, Roche and
YPO. He brings more than 35 years of experience as a professional speaker,
seminar le
“يا أيتها الحتميات البديعة! ويا أيها الفعل الجبار ! أي عقل يستطيع أن يخترق طبيعتك ؟ وأي لغه قادرة على التعبير عن هذه الأعجوبة ؟لا شيء على الاطلاق ، منها يتحول الكلام البشري إلى تأمل للألوهية " ليوناردو حول أعجوبة العين البشرية ..” 14 likes
“The Seven Da Vincian Principles are: Curiosità—An insatiably curious approach to life and an unrelenting quest for continuous learning. Dimostrazione—A commitment to test knowledge through experience, persistence, and a willingness to learn from mistakes. Sensazione—The continual refinement of the senses, especially sight, as the means to enliven experience. Sfumato (literally “Going up in Smoke”)—A willingness to embrace ambiguity, paradox, and uncertainty. Arte/Scienza—The development of the balance between science and art, logic and imagination. “Whole-brain” thinking. Corporalità—The cultivation of grace, ambidexterity, fitness, and poise. Connessione—A recognition of and appreciation for the interconnectedness of all things and phenomena. Systems thinking.” 11 likes