Start by marking “Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary

Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary

"Sinjin the badly burned black cat. . .who survived to welcome others home Victor the abandoned Australian Shepherd mix. . . the capo among dogs Tyson and Tommy, two tiny black kittens. . .who had something to teach us all

Discover Best Friends A Place Where Every Animal Is Safe. . .Loved. . .And Never, Ever Killed

In the summer of 1982, a group of young men and women pooled
Published February 1st 2001 by Kensington (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Best Friends, please sign up.
Annie Flos Yes, they have grown to include multiple shelters where you can adopt a pet or volunteer time. You can search Best Friend's Animal Society on the inte…moreYes, they have grown to include multiple shelters where you can adopt a pet or volunteer time. You can search Best Friend's Animal Society on the internet to find out more.

P.S. I adopted my dog from the Utah location(less)

Start your review of Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
Linda
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tracy and Nikki
Go to the best friends website and take a look at this amazing rescue sanctuary.
In the early 80's a group of friends living in different parts of the country pooled their resources to buy property in Angel Canyon, Utah and moved there. The purpose was to create a sanctuary where unadoptable and special needs animals could live out their lives. The sanctuary grew to what it is today and animals have literally come from all over the world to live at Best Friends.
Stacy
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Animal people
After reading this book I decided that I needed to visit and work at the sanctuary, for it's history, mission, and founders are inspiring. The stories made me laugh and cry (and did I cry.) In 2005, I had the opportunity to volunteer at the sanctuary and hope to return, for it is the promised land for animal people. I now have several copies of the book in my classroom for my students to read.
Kate Douglas
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book for any animal lover! All happy endings but warning: you might shed a tear!
Kathi
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book while I was in the midst of a huge dog story kick. It was an amazing and inspiring book. Of course it made me laugh and cry but I am always so impressed by people that have the courage and commitment to follow their dreams. The founders of Best Friends Sanctuary are incredible people - my hat goes off to anyone that is willing to work so hard to help those who cannot speak for themselves.

After reading the book, I dreamt about visiting there and getting a chance to volunte
Jim
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I was interested in reading some animal stories and also learning about how a sanctuary for animals is run. The sanctuary in the story is "Best Friends" located in Utah and I was surprised to read that it was started in 1982, long before I had ever heard of such places. The stories concerning the dogs and cats and other animals were wonderful but I was especially bowled over by reading about the dedication of the people who set up the sanctuary, the dedication to t ...more
Beverly
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary by Samantha Glen describes how Best Friends Animal Sanctuary originated and expanded. The book commences in 1982 when a group of friends pooled their resources and decided to purchase 3,000 acres in Kanab, Utah in order to build the animal sanctuary of their dreams. They had already outgrown the ranch they had purchased four years earlier in Prescott, AZ. The author chronicles the first fifteen years of Best Friends and co ...more
Drew Danko
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best "feel good" books I've ever read. If you ever doubted the power of having a vision, or of having a diverse group, or of having commitment to a goal, or having shared values then you will want to read this book because that is how they created one of the world's best animal sanctuaries.

Can you imagine taking in all kinds of critters in all stages of health and functionality, hundreds of them, with very scarce resources to support your efforts. That is exactly what this sma
Bobbi
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I discovered Best Friends a couple of years ago and have become an avid follower. I was scheduled to spend a weekend at the sanctuary this year, but had to cancel because of an unexpected illness. I discovered this book by accident in a Kindle sale. Even if it wasn’t about an animal sanctuary, I would have loved it. In the book, sometimes I got a little confused by switching from one story to another, but the writing was excellent. The stories of the founders and how they began the organization ...more
SouthWestZippy
The book walks you through many of the startup heartaches, dealing with people who discard animals like trash when they no longer want or need them and money issues. If you can't handle animal abuse stories you might want to stay clear of this book, there is not many of them but enough to show you the need for such a place. Good book overall but does get into unnecessary details. The unnecessary details are in the friends' stories who started the Animal Sanctuary and dealing with people. I wante ...more
Jessica
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned about Best Friends sometime around 2005, I think. I fell in love with their mission and visited Kanab in 2007. My mom joined me on the trip as I think she feared I'd follow through on my threat to quit my job and move to the middle of nowhere and take care of dogs. The sanctuary was amazing. I just wish I had thought to do some volunteer work while there. Over the years I have donated to them when I could.

Last year I was digging through a bin of books at my job's sample sale. Every boo
Randi Robinson
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for anyone interested in saving animals. It tells the story of a group of friends with a cause and the wonderful amazing result of their determination. I read this book because I had to read a nonfiction book for a summer reading club and I like dogs. I have since volunteered at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary 3 times and will continue to go back as long as my old bones will let me.Indeed I would like to retire to Kanab, Utah and spend the rest of my days volun ...more
Lyndsey Page
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Clearly I enjoyed this because it's about saving animals. Best Friends seems like an incredible place and I am in total admiration of the people who were so selfless and generous in the time it took to get the sanctuary up and running. It's wonderful that animals who would not be given a chance in many places have this wonderful place to call home. I normally wouldn't say that a shelter is the kind of place that an animal should spend all his or her days, but based on what I see on social media, ...more
Ron
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Take a look... You can see that almost everyone rated this book 5 stars!!
Yep, there is a reason because it is an inspiring true story of how a few dedicated people came together and made this sanctuary a success.
I purchased the book at the visitor center after taking a tour of the 300 acre site. As an architect and planner, I was impressed with the facility.
Check out their web site, youtube or the sanctuary in Southern Utah and you will be hooked
Keli Wright
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book was really inspiring. I am glad there are people like this in the world. I don't know that I believe in psychic cats...but it is still a fun book to read and I think that kids would enjoy it too..
Chris Doelle
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What can I say, I am a sucker for someone helping an animal in need. This book chronicles just such folks.

my full review
Jane Fowler
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not only have I read this, we visited BFAS!!
Lee Yahnker
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story on Best Friends animal sanctuary and how it rose from an idea to a successful place for animals. Heart warming stories on some of the original founders, too.
Karen Larsen
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most inspiring book I have EVER read. Love, love, love it!! These people gave up everything to make this wonderful, awesome, amazing place happen! This is a must read!!
Shonessi
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!!!! Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is a wonderful place for many animals! Great stories of rescued dogs and cats and great people who take care of them!
Tonya
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Friends is the uplifting story of the 1982 founding and early years of what has become the nation's largest no-kill animal sanctuary. The tenor of the book is optimistic and filled with the can-do attitude of its founders, and I was pleasantly surprised that the heartbreaking animal stories did not digress into a militant, PETA-like attitude.
Additionally, I find it admirable that the fulfillment of the founders' vision was the result of their personal generosity of time, money, and love;
JT
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember a friend of mine telling me about her visit to this amazing animal sanctuary. So when I came across this book about its beginnings I had to read it. The book is chock full of tales both happy and sad of its furry and feathery inhabitants, their quirky little habits and their own contributions to this wonderful haven. It introduces the reader to the founders and the hardships they faced while caring for the animals. The writing is easy reading and their are enough twists and turns in t ...more
Audra
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh out loud, cry out loud and everything in between! It is a true story of how Best Friends Organization was founded and you cannot go wrong by reading this book. I loved all the stories about how some of the animals came to Best Friends and the role they played while they were there. The human stories in between were just as good but in a different way of telling the love for the animals that they had to take care of and friends they met along the way.

What really played to
Carol Derbis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God Bless

wonderful!
Held me tight turnout.
I know the "unconditional love we get from our own adopted Rescued dog who had been hit and kicked and heaven only knows what before being rescued with 40 other animals and recomend to every one they adopt rescued animals.
I've heard "experts" say dogs (and cats) don't remember. HOGWASH!
THEY DO REMEMBER! Our beloved Belle - border collie/shepherd mix is the smartest dog I've ever seen. Get facial expressions tell us so much.
Now nearing her time to go o
Laura C Thompson

I am a Best Friends fan, so this book was very interesting to me. I loved reading about these dedicated special people who are making such a difference in the lives of animals. I recommend to all animal lovers.
Nina Themann
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was so enlightening to read about the Best Friends organization and their beginnings. It gave me a new perspective on what they do and how my work as a volunteer contributes to it. This is a truly “feel good” book, but not generically so. As other people have said, it’s the kind of book where you will have tears in your eyes on one page and be laughing the next. I highly recommend it. It shows you what is possible when good people come together and sacrifice for a common cause.
Kathy Govreau
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute heartwarming story of the love for all animals by the founders of the sanctuary. I did not want this book to end. I would love to visit their sanctuary if it wasn't for having to be gone from my own furkids. I keep up with their stories through their magazine and the dvd's of Dogtown and the videos on youtube. This is a "keeper" for animals lovers' libraries.
Jen Kannenberg
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been on my reading list for a Loooong time. I was afraid it was going to be full of sadness, but instead it was joyful to read. The founders of this now worldwide known organization had such unconditional love for all animals, and I believe God helped them along to provide this sanctuary for animals in Utah.
The Sandstress
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Best Friends!

I really enjoyed this book. I've been a supporter of this organization since 1996 and I plan on visiting in 2019. The book was great reading and never boring. I know that anyone who cares about animals will enjoy this book and feel the hope and love shared by the author and people who make Best Friends possible.
Jalair Crooks
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A special place.

My husband and I visited Best Friend several years ago. We we're so impressed we went back the next year and volunteer ed for a week. It was great reading this book and learning more how Best Friend s came t o be. We love animals and find stories about helping them is so rewarding.
Carla
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Beautiful stories!
I gave it 3 stars because I found the writing a bit confusing. It's more of a collection of short stories than a book telling a whole story.
Of course this doesn't take away any of the wonderful work done at Best Friends. It made me research Best Friends and wanted to start helping more animals.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir
  • My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Foster and Forest (Angel Paws)
  • Sasha
  • Constable on the Hill (Constable Nick Mystery #1)
  • Constable on the Prowl (Constable Nick Mystery #2)
  • Arthur On The Streets (The Dog Under The Bed #2)
  • Chasing the Blue Sky
  • Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure
  • Nop's Trials
  • A Dog Like Ralph
  • My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living with Five Felines
  • My Forever Home
  • Homer and the Holiday Miracle
  • He Never Forgot How to Love
  • Living Life to the Fullest
  • Fully Staffed

News & Interviews

“There is no better application of the Golden Rule than to help a homeless pet. In doing this, you are giving the gift of life itself. And since there is no greater gift, there can be no greater reward” 5 likes