Start by marking “Nothing Is Impossible” as Want to Read:
Nothing Is Impossible

Nothing Is Impossible

Christopher Reeve has mastered the art of turning the impossible into the inevitable. In these candid reflections, Reeve shows that we are all capable of overcoming seemingly insurmountable hardships. He teaches us that for able-bodied people, paralysis is a choice—a choice to live with self-doubt and a fear of taking risks—and that it is not an acceptable one. Reeve knows ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

Debbie Robson
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've always admired Christopher as an actor (especially in Somewhere in Time) and as one of the most inspiring people on this planet. So when I came across this book for sale in the library I grabbed it eagerly. Half way through it I was in tears in a cafe as I read about the everyday details of his debilitating new life and the amazing way he kept his faith and hope alive.
Every small series of excercises and physiotherapy took hours to set up, travel was a nightmare but he still managed to fin
Christine
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
[audiobook review, read by the author]

It was pretty exciting to pop in the first CD and hear Christopher Reeve read his own story. He was a decent writer and spoke pretty well considering the fact that he was connected to an oxygen supply.

Because of this, I'd be interested in reading his other books even though this one, "Nothing is Impossible," spent a lot of time impressing upon us the importance of allowing reseachers to have stem cells to find cures for our health issues. Whether or not I ag
Megan BG
I enjoyed his sections when he talked about his life and his struggles after his accident and his triumphs where he thought there would be no triumphs, but those parts were overshadowed by the section on politics. I know where he is coming from and I support it to an extent, but there has been a lot of developments in that area (perhaps due to the restrictions and moral questions involved, science was able to find another way). That's the problem when celebrity memoirs get political...

I do admir
Scott
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to Christopher Reeve read his book with the aid of a ventilator which passes air over his vocal chords so he can speak is as sobering as it gets. It's a well-written book and I'm going to give it a family with a son who is now a C4 quadriplegic. It is realistic, too, and may be hard, but the final chapter about Hope is superb. Hearing his words and hope and knowing he died 2 years after the book was published is tough, too. Really deserves 4 stars. Not as pie in the sky, or touchy feel ...more
Zeineb Nouira
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This autobiography reminded me why most of today’s are dull and not impressive to say the least. The writer needs to have a life story in which a morale lies. An autobiography is not an arrogant “tour de force” of one’s achievements and it is certainly not an exaggerated account of “the ordeals” that caused them suffering (most of today’s famous personalities write about not having a Hollywood star on the Walk of Fame because it is an understatement of their talent, or just a blow to their ego) ...more
Sher
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me hope in many ways, not just for victims of paralysis. It helped me look at life differently and helped me face my own demons of having a beloved brother with ALS. Watching him suffer as he dies inch by inch is horrifying, yet being able to believe that maybe some kind of help, even to the extent of a reversal of this insidious disease may be around the corner gives me great hope. God willing, it will come sooner than later.

The courage of this couple and their family is off the
Cristina Vallejo
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review of audiobook:

I was not expecting it to be read by Christopher Reeves, but I think that made it all the more special. I first thought how challenging that must have been for him to read for hours on end for the book given his condition, but by the end of the book I imagined he had no problems.

I began listening with no other info about him other than he was (and will always be) Superman, his accident, and that his wife died of lung cancer without ever having smoked.

That said, I was very su
Huleeta Smith
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

This book offers some look into the reality of a quadriplegic's struggles to grasp normalcy in his new world. This favorite Superman of so many of us obviously worked friendly to help others with injuries that part him in a wheelchair in the first place. The sad part is that he never ( at least in this book)) found the saving grace of Jesus Christ which would have given him peace. He did amazing work for stem cell research, however and it's an excellent book.. Highly recommend!
weii
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christopher Reeve is such an inspirational, intelligent and well-spoken individual. He writes with clarity, and manages to crack me up even when addressing rather depressing topics. The fact that he stood up, unwavering, in spite of the accident that left him paralysed, makes him such an admirable figure.

Thank you Mr Reeve for sharing your personal story & struggles with us. Even though you have passed, you continue to inspire people every day.
Barbara
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting and really inspiring memoir by Christopher Reeve. What an incredible person who overcame huge obstacles to live a beautiful and fulfilling second chapter in life despite an earth shattering accident. Interesting details about spinal cord injuries and rehab and insurance problems as well as the politics and challenges of scientific research and funding.
Beate
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring. In this book, Christopher Reeve talks about all the stages he went through after his terrible accident and what has given him strength and hope after it. After reading this, I have nothing but the greatest respect for the man, who was not only Superman, but also extremely intelligent and determined to find a cure for spinal cord injuries. R.I.P.
Megan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Interesting to listen to Christopher Reeve read this himself. This book mainly focused on the time after his accident that left him paralyzed. He had such a resilient spirit and great resolve to do everything he could for spinal cord research.
Nicola Pierce
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A short, gentle but sobering read that is inevitably hampered by the fact that he died a year or so after the book came out. I'm about to start his autobiography 'Still Me' which I'm hoping will resonate more with me.
Daniel E.
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing and inspiring perspective resulting from the author's personal tragedy and subsequent reconciliation. Christopher teaches us all to treasure what we have, life itself and to find triumph in each day.

Recommended

His other book Still Me is an inspiring read as well.
Erin L.
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terrific book. Listened to the audio edition read by the author. I learned about spinal cord injury in school last year and wished I had read this back then. I definitely want to read his first book now.
Chris Kirk
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring
Nigel Carroll
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Christopher Reeve has to be the most inspiring person Ive ever come across. From Superman to an even greater Man.
Kristine
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
good book. probably not a re-read, but worth it to have experienced. very personal and personable.
Tony
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique perspective

I enjoyed reading this book and learning about the triumphs and struggles Mr. Reeves faced as he took on his health challenges.
Katinka
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Stephanie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-again
One of the best read ever. A lesson of life telling us to never give up. No matter what life throws at us there is ALWAYS HOPE, ALWAYS!
Ilze
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I once saw Reeve chatting to Larry King Live and was almost in tears. Not in pity, but personal distress that someone like myself (who has a healthy body) had decided to skip aerobics because I "didn't feel like it". How pathetic can we get? We're lucky because we have healthy muscles - not due to an aide exercising them for us, but because we can move independantly.

Reeve's history as Superman actor who fell off a horse breaking his neck close to the brain stem, is fairly well-known. What is le
Dalia
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a quick read, he's very clear. It gives you an into Superman's upbringing, the kind of life lived in New England, how he reacted to being paralyzed, his experience with religion and spirituality, his almost miraculous breakthroughs through physical therapy, the difficulties faced figuring out the whole medical insurance system and getting proper support and re-gearing the insurance sector's approach to people who become incapacitated so as to help them get better.

But, of course, his big
Kevin Shockey
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
An inspiring biography of a champion for achieving the impossible.

I recently finished Christopher Reeve's second book "Nothing Is Impossible" he wrote after his tragic accident that left him paralyzed. It is an inspiring look at how he faced the unimaginable challenges of the "permanent" loss of his arms and legs. In the end, despite all of the scientific evidence telling him that he would not recover any movement, he persevered to recover movement past anyone's expectations, including his own.

O
Madhura Chatterjee
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the truly inspiring books that I've read ( and I read a lot of inspirational books). Chris Reeves was superman in the true sense, not just in his movies but in the way he battled his fate with equanimity. His books made me think, how often do we look at the glass half empty, when it is half full,how petty our worries are compared to many other people out there, how much we take for granted in our lives.My favorite quote from the book was "a year ago I was wondering if I'd ever mo ...more
Abigail
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book to be good but not extraordinary. I feel so guilty saying that because it is Christopher Reeve for heaven's sake! I do find his experiences, drive, and persistence highly inspirational. However, in the book I didn't feel that "Nothing Is Impossible" was an appropriate title. It read more of a memoir of his recovery process to me but I didn't get the feeling that I could conquer the world from it.
I did find it inspirational in a lot of ways and am glad that I read it. It wasn't
Dalton Matulis
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Christopher Reeves Nothing is Impossible is a good book if you are searching for something about overcoming a large problem. I thought the book was more on the scientific and thought provoking side rather than talking about how he personally handled his injury. I believe that the telling was very unique and went into depth on many of the toughest things that Reeve had to go through, one of the most touching parts for me was in the very first 20 pages when he was at first considering if his life ...more
Grant Lor
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was inspiring. I found out recently that he died not to long after writing this book. He was an advocate and speaker for those who couldn't speak out. He suffered through the last years of his life but still fought. This book was an interesting read for some chapters. Others were just boring and political. There really is not an issue in this book. This book is about having the drive to compete and to overcome adversity. I would not recommend this book because mostly it was a ...more
Alan
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed (if that's the right word - maybe was impressed by) the book Still Me, which I read when Mr Reeve was still with us.

This one was less dramatic, but reading about hope and faith knowing he'd lost his fight made it a different read.

I learned a bit more about his decision to carry on, to struggle, to make the best advances he possibly could, for himself and others. He'd made more progress in moving his fingers and legs than I'd realised.

Always a humbling thing thinking about people
Crystal
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I grabbed this book not really knowing much about Christopher Reeve aside from his acting and his accident, that left him a quadriplegic. This book talks a lot about his strength and the things he accomplished in medical research as a result of his accident, becoming an activist for stem cell research. Politics aside (which I try to avoid) I loved his sense of humor, and realized what a great man he was and what he accomplished to help others with nervous system disabilities. I only imagine what ...more
  • Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve
  • Education of a Woman: The Life of Gloria Steinem
  • Tori Amos: All These Years: The Authorized Biography
  • The Virtues of Aging
  • The Long Rain
  • The Duppy
  • The Weekend Makeover: Get a Brand New Life By Monday Morning
  • The Story of You
  • I'm Just Sayin'!: Three Deaths, Seven Husbands, and a Clone! My Life as a Daytime Diva
  • Without Mercy
  • American Nightingale: The Story of Frances Slanger, Forgotten Heroine of Normandy
  • Papa, My Father: A Celebration of Dads
  • The Burning Within
  • I Am What I Ate...and I'm frightened!!!: And Other Digressions from the Doctor of Comedy
  • The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain: A Neurologist's Search for the God Experience
  • The Simeon Solution: One Woman's Spiritual Odyssey
  • The Little Red Book of Running
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
Christopher D'Olier Reeve was an American actor, director, producer, and writer. He established himself early as a Juilliard-trained stage actor before portraying Superman/Kal-El/Clark Kent in four films, from 1978 to 1987. In the 1980s, he starred in several films, including Somewhere in Time (1980), Deathtrap (1982), The Bostonians (1984), and Street Smart (1987). He also starred in many plays, ...more
“At first, dreams seem impossible, then improbable, and eventually inevitable.” 18 likes
“there is a relationship between the mind and the body that can both create a physical condition and enable us to recover from it” 11 likes