Start by marking “HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)” as Want to Read:
HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)

HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)

Need to learn HTML fast? This best-selling reference's visual format and step-by-step, task-based instructions will have you up and running with HTML in no time. In this completely updated edition of our best-selling guide to HTML, Web expert and best-selling author Elizabeth Castro uses crystal-clear instructions and friendly prose to introduce you to all of today's HTML ...more
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 456 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Peachpit Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about HTML, XHTML, and CSS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML, XHTML, and CSS

Mike
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it
A little over a year ago, my job situation changed slightly as I moved from one capacity into that of the local website manager for our company. I wasn't in charge of any actual coding, just putting the Wordpress CMS to work and helping to build images and content for the site. I decided at some point that using Wordpress wasn't going to be good enough; I wanted to know how the gears worked.

Under recommendation from a friend, I picked up a copy of "PHP 6 and MYSQL 5" by Larry Ulman and dug in.
Bill
Sep 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the textbook for a class on HTML, CSS, and a little JavaScript that I'm finishing up. The book did a good job of serving that purpose for me. Each topic covered is broken down into only a couple of pages with illustrated examples on every page so it is easy to read about what you want efficiently. Also, the website that supplements the book and contains code for all of the examples in the book was very useful.

I borrowed this book from the public library for use during the class and to s
محمدرضا
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
این کتابو خیلی وقت پیش خوندم؛ زمانی که دبیرستان بودم. یادمه خیلی هم بهش علاقه داشتم.
کتاب بسیار روون و خوبیه و تصویری بودنش یادگیری رو خیلی شیرین میکنه. سی اس اس رو هم همراه با آموزش کدهای مربوط اچ تی ام ال توضیح داده. در بین توضیحات، تفاوت اجرای کدها بر روی مرورگرهای مختلف رو هم بیان کرده؛ مثل نت اسکیپ، اپرا و آی ای. البته فکر میکنم الآن این تفاوت ها خیلی مهم نیست.
متن اصلی کتاب رو ندیدم تا با ترجمه مقابسه کنم، کتاب رو هم همونطور که گفتم حدود 10 سال پیش خوندم و جزئیات متن رو یادم نمیاد، اما به نظ
Dwight
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very good reference source as are most books from Peachpit Press. I have relied on Elizabeth Castro's "HTML for the World Wide Web" for many years to create web pages. Elizabeth Castro's writing is very good. Not as good as Laura Lemay (from whose "Teach Yourself HTML 3.2 in a Week" I first learned web programming in 1998). While waiting, several hours, for a friend to get off work, I ventured into a bookstore and picked up Lemay's book and could not put it down. After the first chapte ...more
Ronan Conroy
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Since I bought this book, CSS has moved onto version 4, XHTML is arguably dead, and HTML5 is old news. I’ve moved three times since then, too, and changed jobs a couple times too.
Back in 07 when I grabbed this book and swore I’d read it, I did not like CSS one bit. Doing things the long way was fine for me.
Recently I read a great Javascript book and it covered CSS pretty gracefully, so I figured why not go back and see where some of this all started.
Old as it is, it was still worth a read-throug
Steve
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology-help
This book is very well organized and well-written. This book is essential for someone who is familiar with some HTML or CSS, but wants to learn more when required. The author takes a graceful systematic approach to presentation of HTML, XHTML and CSS concepts and commands. Each element is presented with step-by-step instructions, examples, and useful tips. I searched for a book that could serve as a reference and tutorial, and this one made the most sense to me. The section on the use of CSS to ...more
eq
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read the 6th edition and it seems that the 6th is very different from the 5th. Overall, I found this a very helpful guide for HTML, XHTML, and CSS. I liked that it incorporated actual code and then a screen shot of what the code would/should look like on your browser.

Castro only discusses simple coding, but she makes it easy to segue into the more advanced coding.

Interestingly, not all of her code was w3 compliant I think for the purpose of simplicity, but overall, I found this to be a very h
Steve
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this up to learn the basics of coding a website from scratch. I was technical enough to skip over the basics and just reference what I needed, but I'm a neophyte when it comes to CSS properties, so this book became essential. The diagrams and explanations in this book are well done, a useful guide for beginners and a handy reference when updating a site six months later.
Adam Eivy
Mar 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
The book does have some valuable and relevant information but it is hiding behind a lot of cruft, archaic information and bad code examples from other languages.
When I started teaching Web Authoring II at Seattle Central Community College, the previous instructor had setup the class to use this book. I instead switched to CSS Mastery for required reading.
Jessie
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read chapters 1-12 and 15-17, which covered HTML code, laying out a page, CSS stylesheets, forms, tables, and basic editing. Castro explanations of why and how are very easy to understand, with images highlighting the code and showing its effects on the web page for nearly every action. This will be a valuable resource for any future web design ventures.
Michele White
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Good resource for getting you started coding in HTML, XHTML and CSS. We used it to teach ourselves enough code to manage our organization's website and HTML mailings and it did the trick. We now keep it to refresh our memories or help us troubleshoot when issues arise.
Michele
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
It was a textbook for me so really, how good could it be?
While Castro's explanations and directions are clear and easy to follow, some of the techniques are already outdated. The best part of the book is actually her website where you get to see the techniques in action.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've returned to this book over and over again since the semester it was assigned for quick refreshers on how to do something, color choice codes, or how to change something through coding that I can't do the "easy" way. This is a book I will keep for a long time!
MJ
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: lis
There's a reason why this book has gone through six editions-- it's a great introduction to HTML for beginners. Supplemented with MacFarland's CSS book, it was a good textbook choice for an introductory class in web design. Definitely keeping this one on the shelf.
Mk
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mk by: school
Shelves: i-own-it
This book explains things very clearly. It also has a good index, making it an easy to use long-term reference.
Jimena
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great for beginners! Learned a lot in a short time. Great for skimming and has online support! awesome find! :o)
Emamul Hasan
Its a bit old now...
Emma
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not as boring as it looks. HTML is fun!
Katherine
Jun 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
A very good reference book. I'll keep this one on my shelf, if only for the codes at the back for colors, xhtml code, etc.
Jer
Feb 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: own-it
For $5 at the local Value Village, how could I pass it up?
hannah
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a technical book that reads like a normal book, so I wasn't bored and I actually learned something. Will wonders never cease?
Jenny
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, non-fiction
Excellent resource, in addition to w3c (w3.org) and other online resources.
Rob Mcbride
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent extension of her earlier HTML for the World Wide Web (see my review of that book).
Foxthyme
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A computer book that's understandable. Hurrah! And full of invaluable info too.
Jadetyger Sevea
This is the 5th edition of this book
Jaye
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Might as well add this book--the one I spend the most time with these days, sigh. As a n3rd novice it is quite helpful, illustrative.
Nina 丹奈
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Web design beginners
Right book for everyone who wants to learn basics of web desing. Very well organized with many images showing important steps in html and css. Highly recommended.
  • The CSS Anthology
  • Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference - Covers GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Solaris
  • PHP for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guide)
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • Creating a Web Site: The Missing Manual
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • CSS Pocket Reference
  • CSS Cookbook
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Programming in Objective C
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
  • MySQL Cookbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Studied Spanish, Catalan, and Basque at University of Pennsylvania and University of California at Berkeley. Moved to Barcelona in 1987, found job in computer company translating documentation and software. Started Página Uno in 1990: publisher of Mac related books in Spanish. Moved back to US in 1993 to edit 5th edition of The Macintosh Bible. Wrote first edition of HTML Visual QuickStart Guide i ...more