Start by marking “3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals” as Want to Read:
3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals

3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals

When discussing being stuck in a "win-win vs. win-lose" debate, most negotiation books focus on face-to-face tactics. Yet, table tactics are only the "first dimension" of David A. Lax and James K. Sebenius' pathbreaking 3-D Negotiation (TM) approach, developed from their decades of doing deals and analyzing great dealmakers. Moves in their "second dimension"—deal design—sy ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 3-D Negotiation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3-D Negotiation

Jacob
I'm not an expert in the field of negotiations, but this seems to me like a very good complement to Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator. What that one is focused on tactics used in negotiating, this one focuses on the whole negotiation situation and argues there is a lot more that can be realized if you pay attention to how you set up the negotiation, choose the right participants in the right order, and specifically look for ways to design a deal that takes adv ...more
Scott Wozniak
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Standard negotiation advice (don't just think about the people at the table, think about the other people in their organizations and beyond, look for their true interests behind the specifics being discussed, etc.). It's a little too formal in style as well for my tastes, too.
Micah Fesler
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great perspective on negotiations. Lax and Sebenius move away from traditional hard nose negotiating strategies to walk the reader through all of the areas to consider when preparing and executing a negotiation. Fantastic perspective. Worth the read!
Joel
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
In need of an update and more examples

3-Negotiation is a book by HBS professors Lax and Sebenius. It argues that too many people focus on the 1-D aspect, tactics, and the 2-D aspect, deal design. Very few work in the 3-D approach, which is the set up - considering all parties' interests, etc.

Takeaways: Never go into a negotiation without knowing your best alternative (BATNA), know what your point of no deal is (RP), and always seek to understand the underlying interests of all parties. Downsides
Steven Perry
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
*Listened on audiobook* Maybe it was the fact that I listened to this on audiobook, narrator's voice or my familiarity with much of the material with previous books (or all of the above) I just didn't get into this book as much as I would like.

Last quarter of this book bumped this up to 3 stars for me. More in depth real world examples in the last chapter were super helpful to hear the application. Otherwise it just felt dry, academic, too technical to me and again this is probably a better boo
Jason Carter
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lax and Sebenius argue that most books and courses on negotiation focus on only one dimension: tactics at the table. Further, they suggest that to be a savvy negotiator that two more dimensions should be considered: setup and deal design.

They spend the book discussing not only how to setup and design great deals, but they do not neglect the tactical art of deal-making, as well.

Peppered with relevant anecdotal evidence throughout, this is a helpful and interesting read. It doesn't hurt that it wa
Ian
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid reference for negotiation tactics with several novel ideas. Unfortunately the book reads like a corporate training manual. I would have liked to have more examples and less exposition. I personally would use it as a reference, but don't think I'd read through all the way again. I think I would recommend it to someone who has already read several excellent books on negotiation but who still wants more depth.
William Anderson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
High on anecdotes, 3-D Negotiation is an impactful and insightful book. If you are regularly involved in making deals you probably employ many tactics and strategies described. This book is not about the "hard sell" or manipulating people, its about building better mutually beneficial and mutually attractive offers.
Alex H
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful to my personal/professional growth - forced me to reconsider what I could have done better during a ~6-month stint with an independent sponsor firm. I only wish I had read this book a year earlier, as I would have been much better prepared to creatively anticipate and work around unstated and non-financial needs of the sellers I sat across the deal table from.
Jameyanne Fuller
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit long, but I’m glad I read through to the end because I understand the concepts better after reading the whole book than I did after just the first three chapters we were assigned. The examples were really helpful, the writing was easy to follow, and the topic was interesting. If you’re interested in negotiations, I recommend reading this as a follow-up to Getting to Yes.
Maria Essig
I can describe this book as solid. It provides actionable advice with a structure to it which makes it easy to follow. However, its text-book like language lucks any inspiration and makes the book boring to read.
Gary
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
You will find a few good nuggets of in this book but too much jargon and and too much trying to make negotiations into a fixed formula. Also very dry.
E
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Smart ways to reframe negotiation

If you have read a few books on negotiation, you will find much in this book familiar. If you’re serious about the subject, however, reading it will amply reward your curiosity. Many of its negotiating techniques and approaches are familiar because the authors, David A. Lax and James K. Sebenius, reviewed and tested the existing literature on the subject. They put the best current suggestions into a larger conceptual frame that can help negotiators make better d
Jacqueline Crespo
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biz
When it comes to a business book delivering value, I can't say enough about 3D negotiations. I have learned so much and already put it into practice.

It is well organized, lays out clear learning points, and awesome examples.

For those wanting to go beyond negotiations tactics, this book is it!
Wade Brooks
May 06, 2015 added it
Shelves: busienss
Excellent book on negotiations. This book focuses on the bigger picture, setting the stage, getting the right players and groups involved (government officials, trade unions, etc.) in an effort to expand negotiations beyond the table and orchestrate a win-win value creating deal.
Quinn
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I like books like these because, even if you only get a line or two that you actually remember they constantly remind you to do better. I though more about the negotiations I had coming up because of this book.
A
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although similar to other books with the framework approach, real word business examples (rather than something made up) adds credence and color to the commentary.
Jackie
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-college
The overall message was to try to expand the benefits to all parties and come to mutual agreement. It included a lot of real world stories from his experiences. Worth while business read.
Khalid Khan
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, negotiation
the book you need before your next negotiation
Tom
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: personalmba
I managed to secure distribution rights for a product and to my surprise I fairly quickly managed to get appointments with the super-negotiators, the supermarket boys! This book was a great help.
Jim Lavis
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful resource. I must have read this book and listened to the tapes dozens of times. It's a must have if your in business and want to master the art of negotiating.
Taylor Mcbride
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Great content, but it reads like a textbook.
Bellamy
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it changed my life!
K
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
Read this for a management class and has helped me see tactics and structures of deals in everyday life. Approachable language and concepts.
Chad
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, my reading has been a bit skewed lately, but this is what it includes.
Ploy

• Getting Started in Consulting
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan