Start by marking “What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)” as Want to Read:
What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)

What Lay Beyond

(Star Trek: Gateways #7)

Created by the incalculably ancient Iconians, whose transcendent technology is quantum levels beyond that of the Federation and its allies, the Gateways offer instantaneous transport across unimaginable distances. Throughout the known galaxy, from Deep Space Nine(TM) to the New Frontier, from the Delta Quadrant to the bridge of the "Starship Enterprise(TM)," the sudden rea ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about What Lay Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Lay Beyond

Erica
This is a book that I really enjoyed reading. Despite the fact that I've seen in several reviews that the whole idea of having this book, with all the different endings from the previous stories, wasn't very popular. I admit that for me it did have a somewhat negative effect when it came to how well I remembered the beginnings of each story, and had the ending been in each book it might have made it just a little bit easier. But I wouldn't say it was a problem as such. I read this series in a pe ...more
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a very satisfying read, although I wish I had read all the previous books before this one. Each Star Trek story was written by a writer specializing in that series, and all the characters seemed true to their era and series. A nice way to combine the best characters from all the beloved Star Trek series. And the sequential story list at the back was exhaustive, extensive and impressive :)
Kiri
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall this is a series of short stories / novellas from each of one of the prior Gateway novels, and/or a direct tie-in from a main series. It finishes up the Gateways series and some loose ends from the main series themselves. Getting to "see" the Iconians during these stories was very interesting - especially their viewpoints and the "respect" they have for at least one other very ancient race.

One Giant Leap by Susan Wright (ST:TOS, Captain James T. Kirk)
       In One Small Step (Gatewa
Crystal Bensley
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Had to skip the first couple of stories in the collection as I could not remember the books well enough!
John
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Much like the series it concludes, the quality of these stories was mixed. Each novella provides the ending of one of the unfinished novels that made up books one through six.

The Kirk closer was not awful, but it felt lackluster and obvious compared to the first part of the story.

The Keller conclusion I actually liked, even if the ending came completely out of left field.

The DS9 exploration of Kira's journey was just as good as the preceding novel. Easily the strongest concluding story.

I can
Rob
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was confused at first, then when I went to rate this book I found that it was book 7 of a seven part series. In all fairness the ending was ok. but I think that I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the whole series. So I will just say that this is a good read and I love that like Generations it brought Capt Kirk into the same book with Captain Picard, not interactive but still fun. I will read the series in order and rate this book again after.
Marie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Overall, a pretty good conclusion to the Gateways series. Each section was written by the author who wrote the corresponding book in the series, which unfortunately means that the quality varies widely between the sections.

Star Trek TOS: Purely meh. This one introduced the antagonists. There's really not much else to say.

Star Trek Challenger: Had nothing to do with the rest of the series and was the worst written one. Can be skipped without missing a single thing.

Star Trek DS9: Kind of a weird o
Daniel
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The final installment of the Gateways saga of Star Trek books comes to an end with a gimmick. At its core, it seems as though the seventh installment was nothing more than the last chapter from each of the previous novels thrown into a book with about 50 to 100 pages tying everything together in the TNG franchise. In fact, simply reordering the books to finish with TNG, while keeping the final chapter of each book included to avoid a cliffhanger, would have worked just as well. That said, each o ...more
David Palazzolo
Cheap marketing ploy of taking the last 4th of each of the previous novels of the series but it worked--I bought them all.

I will only give my quick thoughts on the New Frontier story which I consider to be chapter 16 to that overall series. Captains Shelby and Calhoun find themselves in the Xenexian vision of the afterlife, and try to figure out if they are actually dead. There is sadly no closure to the dangling plot lines from Star Trek: Gateways: Cold Wars. Most frustrating of the unresolved
Nathan Burgoine
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oh, this made me angry. I refused to pay full price for this, which was a 36.50$ Canadian hardcover which was nothing more than six completed short stories to six previous novels that were in paperback, that didn't actually have their endings included. From a "cliffhanger" point of view, I had indeed wanted to know what happened, but from a marketing and make-the-customer-happy point of view, this was a huge mistake.

So, I'll middle-ground it around 2 stars (1 for the function of how the book wo
Tammy
This book contains the endings for the other books in the Gateway series. It felt like they just chopped off the last few chapters of each book, and collated them all into this hardcover. I remember the individual stories were good, but I was very annoyed at the gimmick. Also, I read this one last, so I had somewhat forgot the details of the earlier novels or had stopped caring.
Jeffrey
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book includes the last chapter of each of the first 6 books. Kind of stupid in my opinion. I read book 3 only since I just like reading the TNG series so had to get this book so I could read the end of the story (about 100 pages). Sadly, this ending was fairly incoherent in some parts, and overall was a bit disappointing to me.
Angela
This is the last chapter of each of the previous Gateways books. It is not the kind of book you can read in isolation, I am tempted to say it was a marketing scam. But onto the stories. The 2 stand out ones were Voyager and Next Gen. I thought the Voyager one was clever and unexpected, full of real character. The next gen one finally finished off all the stories well. A good read.
Dustin
The gimmick of the Gateways series wasn't the Iconian gateways, it was that, no matter which one you read, you had to buy two books to get the entire story. What Lay Beyond was basically the last chapter of Gateways 1-6.
Shannon Appelcline
This is really a half-witted way to finish off a big crossover event. I read just two of the stories before giving up, the Next Generation and New Frontiers stories, and found them both mediocre or worse.

Dan
Mar 15, 2012 added it
My review, which covers all six stories in this collection: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/04/w...
David
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I thought this was better than the rest of the series, which in general was only ok.
David
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it
The conclusion to the prior six Gateways novels. Although I liked the stories, I found the conclusion to be somewhat unsatisfying.
Andrew Price
Another book I had to read to get the series completed.
Daria
Jan 24, 2019
Ronny Corral
rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2013
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more

Star Trek: Gateways (7 books)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)