Start by marking “Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away” as Want to Read:
Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away

Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away

Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home & Away is a detailed history of the exhaustive road experience of Canadian rock icons Rush. Celebrating the band’s 30th anniversary, By-Tour features in-depth original interviews with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. Together, history’s loudest Order of Canada recipients conjure the sights and sounds of their st ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Contents Under Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contents Under Pressure

Jessica
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great quick read, chronologically covering the entire Rush catalog up until Rush In Rio. Each chapter followed more or less the same structure, covering first the progress leading up to recording the record, a bit about the inspiration and influences of the album, the breadth of the tour, brief observations about the opening bands, and some personal insights from the band via Popoff's interviews with them. These interviews are the real gold of the book, interesting little anecdotes an ...more
Michael Abbattista
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Martin Popoff (one of his earliest) that profiles Rush in an "album per chapter" format. Thoughts on every album and accompanying tour from all three band members and a ton of great pictures as well. No one does these types of books better than Popoff.
Lorraine
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because author Martin Popoff writes about his (and my) favourite group with unabashed abandon. He describes songs, albums and tours in his own terminology. In describing YYZ(ed) for example, "It is short, obliquely humorous, fired to a smart, tart sheen in the crucible of rhythm, and it is swimmingly enjoyable." I get that much more than some dry description about how the boys trade solos that showcase their musicianship.

The interviews are thoroughly enjoyable and I lea
pianogal
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read - especially for those of us who are novices. Good place to start with Rush.
Scott Holstad
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this authorized biography of Rush, as would any fan I think. Even people who aren't big Rush fans might find it an interesting read. The book starts from the first album, Rush, back in the early 1970s. This book celebrates 30 years of Rush, and it covers every album -- including live ones -- all the way up through 2002's Vapor Trails. The book equally covers each album -- and each song on each album -- and the accompanying tour that went with it, starting from Rush opening f ...more
Spencer
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Contents Under Pressure, written by Martin Popoff, tells what happened to Rush since the beginning of their band. The band Rush formed in 1974, consisting of the members Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart. All the band members hail from Canada and are credited with creating the rock genre of progressive rock. This book gave me a lot of information about the band and what happened during their years.
This book is written in the genre of a biography, so the plot basically tells the reader wha
Otto Lehto
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A semi-decent album-by-album coverage of the life of Rush.

Mostly as told by the band members themselves, through interviews.

The author Popoff, according to the blurb, has written over 20 books of this sort about various rock bands. And it shows. For good and bad. He knows how to put things together in an accessible way, but the "rockumentarian," fanboy-serving, flashy style doesn't shine light "beyond the lighted stage."

All the band's tours, producers and studios are accounted for, almost to th
Tom Schulte
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
In the midst of Rush's 40-city tour to promote its 30th anniversary, this book looks back on the progressive rock bands progress through intertwining discography with gigography. This authorized tour overview is replete with candidate remarks and insight garnered from interviews with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. The book also features many photographs from official band photographer Andrew MacNaughtan. Conveniently broken into a chapter dedicated for each release and the correspondin ...more
Don Murphy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
An album-by-album, tour-by-tour dissection of the first 30 years of Rush. Popoff interviews the Boys and brings forth their recollections and opinions of each step of the adventure. He reveals some pretty new and interesting details and helps provide a deeper glimpse into the band.
Some of the chapters feel incomplete, writing-wise. Overall, a good read if you are into Rush. Some of the interviews are similar - if not exact - statements from other sources, but there are instances where it is quit
g-na
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-faves
That's right, I read a book about a band I like :P This wasn't a fan club "Omg what kind of stuff do they like?!" book. Instead, the author spoke with the band about how it was to record and tour for each of the album they had released up to this point (2004, the 30th anniversary of the release of their first album). Being familiar with all of the albums in question, it was fun to hear things like why they chose to go in a particular direction, and how their live show has evolved over the years. ...more
Karen
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Great book about the band I love, Rush. It goes through each album up to the R30 (maybe we will get an update to include R40?). I love the pictures and the guys describing their memories of the writing/recording of their albums. Author put tour info in and other interesting tidbits. Learned a few new things and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Erik
Hmm. I am torn about this one. I am a huge Rush fan and learned a few things about the band, though I can't say I am huge fan of Popoff's writing, which is overblown in his introductions to each album. It is almost like liner-note language times ten. The book definitely gets stronger towards the late 1990s and early 2000s, where the chapters are longer and more detailed.
Michael Lello
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Exhaustive but a quick read. Nice, structured rundown of every Rush album and tour, up to and including R30, with in-depth interviews with all three members. Lots of illuminating facts and opinions, even for the knowledgeable fan. Would have liked to read about Peart's decision to return after his personal tragedies, but I assume he chose not to talk about it.
Benjamin Kahn
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
An official book, so Popoff wrote this with the band's approval. Unfortunately, you can tell as he has written glowing reviews of albums that he was much more disparaging of elsewhere. Every album is great and unique in this book, unfortunately, the official status costs Popoff his journalistic integrity.
Derek Hale
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
A pretty good book. Doesn't really contain any new information. I couldn't tell if the author (Martin Popoff) really liked the group or not. I'm looking forward to reading Jon Collins' definitive biography of the band.
Tiara Lewis
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased on this book. I love Rush so anything about them I'm almost sure to like. I really liked the photos that they were able to bring together for this book though--their look over the years was crazy to see lol
Scott
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Being a die-hard Rush fan, I adored this book. It dedicates a full chapter to each of the bands album releases (including live albums). It is quite in depth and mostly recounts memories of each album (recording, tours, etc.). from each band member. I highly recommend this book for any Rush fan.
Worth
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love Rush, thus there was little chance that I wouldn't enjoy this book. It's rather superficial both with respect to the personal and musical lives of Alex, Geddy, and Neil, but whatever, it's mind candy.
Mark Reiter
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read. It details each record and tour up to the R30 tour as told by the band members. It's packed with pictures and you'll get a good dose of Neil being personal and generous with his take on Popoff's queries. Well worth the time if you're a fan.
Mike Chinakos
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My favorite band! What can I say?
Natalie
Jan 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
I'm not sure I actually want to buy the book, but as a long-time Rush fan (over 1/3 of my life!) I'd love to at least read it. I'll have to see if the library can get it for me :-)
Jim
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
For Rush fans...lots of good pictures with some interesting historical tidbits. Horribly written, however.
Ken
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
No hard-hitting questions answered, but some really interesting thoughts from the band about all of their albums to this date. Recommended for fans of Rush.
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice book, written clearly for die-hard fans. Content mainly covers the music rather than personal lives. If you are a die-hard, you probably won't find anything new in here.
Ross
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Dive into the world of Rush. From their humble beginnings, personnel change, times on tour & what goes behind the writing & music, this is a must have for all Rush fans.
Bruce
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of interviews and photos from Rush's beginning up to the beginning of R30.
David Dietrich
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Arguably the most important book of the 21st Century. Plus it has lots of cool pictures.
Jim
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
GREAT! Album by album description of what went into creating each Rush album up to R30. I am a HUGE Rush fan.
Mike
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A fairly sparse book with little information about each of their albums up to Vapor Trails. Lots of road stories, etc/ I wish they would have gone into more detail about each album.
Louis
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, music, canadian
Great biography of my favorite band.

• Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times