Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2020” as Want to Read:
The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2020

"An Indian Love Call" by Joseph Bruchac
"In the Eyes of Jack Saul" by Richard Bowes
"Another F*c
ebook
Published April 27th 2020 by Spilogale, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2020

Start your review of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2020
John Loyd
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fsf
6 • Hornet and Butterfly • 19 pages by Tom Cool, Bruce Sterling
OK+. The artificial island that Hornet was living on was destroyed by a typhoon. Four cyborg cops try to roust him for hoarding in a time of disaster. He resists successfully, but now has to protect himself from more cops that they're sure to send. Here the story is looking fantastic, but more elements are introduced, a woman grown from a vat, she leaves via helicopter, everyone else is on a refugee ship. It lost my interest.

25 • St
G33z3r
My favorite story was Ray Naylor's "Eyes of the Forest". A trainee & veteran duo explore an alien landscape that has an interesting ecosystem revealed with some real verisimilitude (and some good writing.)

Holly Messinger's "Byzantine" was also an enjoyable novella with the PoV of a "spirit" during the fall of Constantinople. It begins with the the rape of a young apprentice by his master, which should set your expectations for its sensibilities. It's not horror, but not for the squeamish.

Rich
Gary
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eyes of the Forest by Ray Nayler is on my list of the Best Short SFF of May 2020: https://1000yearplan.com/2020/06/01/t... ...more
Kam Yung Soh
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
An average issues with interesting stories by Ray Nayler, Holly Messinger and a hilarious story involving American Indians by Joseph Bruchac.

- "Hornet and Butterfly" by Tom Cool and Bruce Sterling: in a flooded future world, one person struggles to stay alive in a world turned upside down. But doing so may need him to subjugate himself to a person born to be in the upper classes.

- "Stepsister " by Leah Cypess: a story that continues on from the ending of a familiar fairy tale, but with unusual t
Fernando Goulart

“Eyes of the Forest” by Ray Nayler
“Another F*cken Fairy Tale” by M. Rickert
Jordi
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here’s a ticket to difficult times in Constantinople, to future floating cities turned upside down, to a Europe where fear of strangers has spread more than ever, to troubling decisions in deep space,… Here’s some highlights of the trip.

Bruce Sterling returns with a story co-written with Tom Cool, “Hornet and Butterfly”, which he describes as “what cyberpunk would look like if somebody had invented it in 2019 in Hong Kong”. As in Sterling’s early stories, violence and poetry go hand in hand in a
Michael Frasca
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite stories:

- Stepsister by Leah Cypress. One should avoid getting sucked into the maelstrom of a dysfunctional family, especially when they are the First Family. A new viewpoint on an old tale. With fae.

- Eyes of the Forest by Ray Naylor. Words are important because they define the world and the way we see it. The wrong word can kill you, but the right word can save you.

- Plumage from Pegasus: Faster, Publisher! Binge! Binge! by Paul Di Filippo. Pity the binge-oholic! New definition: a
Leif Wallsby
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will return with more in depth review, but this was a very good issue.
Leroy Erickson
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fandsfmag
A pretty good collection of stories in this issue.

Tom Cool & Bruce Stirling - Hornet and Butterfly - 3 stars
- I don't really know what this story is trying to say. In a future of ecological disaster, an artificial island on the ocean is flipped by a storm. A highly trained assassin kills police, goes to a friend for help, observes a specialized human butterfly being born, and on and on to no real aim.

Leah Cypess - Stepsister - 4 stars
- Cinderella has her stepmother and stepsisters stoned to de
Benjamin DeHaan
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Favorites were “Byzantine”, “Eyes of the Forest”, and “Warm Math”.

“Byzantine” caught me off guard. I’m normally not into historical fiction but I blazed through this story. Fantastic! I’ll try to find more stories set in ancient history settings!
Mary Soon Lee
As ever, F&SF is well worth reading with its eclectic mix of stories. I am usually most drawn by likable characters, but this time one of my favorites -- Holly Messinger's novella "Byzantine" -- drew me by its voice and the fascination of its setting and premise, holding my attention despite my limited sympathy for both the main characters.

Another of my favorites, Ray Nayler's science fiction story, "Eyes of the Forest," combined a strange alien world with thoroughly likable characters and a com
Dana
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Some stories were excellent, others just didn't work for me.

However, I REALLY liked:
I liked "Eyes of the Forest" by Ray Nayler. ...more
Michael Whiteman
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Hornet And Butterfly - Tom Cool & Bruce Sterling **
A combat-adapted posthuman living on a gigantic raft city tries to survive as a refugee after a storm turns the whole city upside down and destroys it, then chases after a more advanced posthuman. Rather too old school and fetishistic of its subject for me and somewhat meandering in its plot.

Stepsister - Leah Cypess ***
A reimagining/extension of Cinderella, focused on a bastard brother of the prince in the years after Ella and Ciar's marriage.
Poetreehugger
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eyes of the Forest by Ray Nayler was riveting.
The Books To Look For column was a pleasure to read, and made me run to my iPad and order 3 of the books reviewed, right away.
The Plumage From Pegasus column, written by Paul Di Filippo, entitled “Faster, Publisher! Binge! Binge!” was by far my favourite piece in the magazine, a flowing, monumental tribute to (or apology for) that blessed of all addiction objects, reading. Specifically the ultimately satisfying experience of reading a long series, pr
Cheyenne

- "Another Fucken Fairy Tail" by M. Rickert - 5
VexenReplica
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5, rounding up.

None of the stories really stood out to me. Some body horror in a few, as well as fairy tale retellings. Introduced a new? game review section, looks to be cool. Watch out, IGN! There’s a new 3-letter all caps competitor in town. (Lol)

Nothing to hate, but middling selection for my tastes.
Alistair Collins
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Stepsister" by Leah Cypess - really interesting novella. ...more
Desirae
Dec 26, 2020 is currently reading it
"Hornet and Butterfly" by Tom Cool & Bruce Stirling
1/5 stars

description
At one point in the story it's noted that the Butterfly, a cyborg female is "naked, of course," and my first and only reaction was "of course." How else should a female, presented as an object, be shown to the reader. Unoriginal. Uninteresting. Vapid writing. No thank you.

4.5/5
description

Excellent. Really enjoyed this one. The story focus on Garrin, the bastard brother of Prince Cair, and Ella his queen, and Jacinda, he
Rebecka2
"An Indian Love Call" by Joseph Bruchac
Yev
NOVELLAS
Byzantine - Holly Messinger
A young boy and an ifrit use each other in the last days of Constantinople.
ENJOYABLE

NOVELETS
Stepsister - Leah Cypess
A quite darkly amusing continuation of Cinderella taking place 5 years after she marries the Prince, now the King. The protagonist is the King's brother.
ENJOYABLE

Birds Without Wings - Rebecca Zahabi
A horror story about monsters that steal the bodies of others. Very similar to Shucked - Sam J. Miller which ran in the same issue as her previous stor
Paul Tunis
Jun 20, 2020
Meerkatmarcato
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2020
Jul 06, 2020
SFF Hot from Prin...: Byzantine by Holly Messinger 1 7 Nov 08, 2020 09:45AM

• Asimov's Science Fiction, May/June 2020
  • Clarkesworld Magazine #164, May, 2020
  • Analog Science Fiction and Fact May/June 2020 (Vol 141, Nos. 5 & 6)
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, September/October 2020
  • Lightspeed Magazine: Issue 121, June 2020
  • Lightspeed Magazine: Issue 120, May 2020
  • Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, July/August 2020
  • The Stoic Challenge: A Philosopher's Guide to Becoming Tougher, Calmer, and More Resilient
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, March/April 2020
  • Clarkesworld Magazine #163, April 2020
  • Clarkesworld: March 2020, #162
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, November/December 2020
  • The Time Machine
  • Analog Science Fiction and Fact, July/August 2020; Vol 140, Nos. 7 & 8
  • Asimov's Science Fiction January/February 2021
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies Issue #304
  • Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 113 (October 2019)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 114 (November 2019)
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009).

Tea