Start by marking “BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1)” as Want to Read:
BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1)

BloodAngel

(BloodAngel #1)

In downtown Manhattan, a rising young painter is haunted by disturbing dreams...In small-town Minnesota, a teenage orphan struggles with a knowledge beyond his years-and a destiny he wants no part of...In California, young and old, hipsters and hippies, fall under the spell of a wildly charismatic singer whose voice breaks down all barriers-including the ones between heave ...more
Published October 4th 2005 by Roc (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about BloodAngel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BloodAngel

Tracey
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
BloodAngel is billed as “dark urban fantasy”; I do tend to steer clear of fantasy labeled “dark” for the simple reason that I don’t enjoy the gorefests those tend toward. I can live without images of violence dancing in my head, and particularly the often gratuitous violence featured in dark fantasy. I’m not weak-stomached about blood and gore in general (I grew up with M*A*S*H on during dinner – hemorrhages and spurting blood alongside the mac and cheese? No problem), but in these books there a ...more
Amber
Feb 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
I think I've finally outlived my love of angsty kids living angsty lives in angsty black outfits. This is what I have learned from this book.

Loren
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-be-sold
Marsha
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PNR lovers
Bloodangel was a 3 1/2 star book for me. In Justine Musk's world, Jessamy Shepard is an up and coming artist. She has a dark past that she has tried to run away from but it continues to pop up in her relationships and in her art. Prior to a premiere of her new exhibits she is contacted by a handsome and myterious stranger (aren't they always?). He attempts to convince her that she is the sole survivor of a line of people who have great talent and that these talents will be necessary in keeping t ...more
harlequin {Stephanie}
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a thinker book. I truly enjoyed the dark tale the author has written. Lacking in action so I would NOT classify this as urban fantasy. More psychological / horror thriller with a paranormal structure.

Glad I started this book first and not lord of bones. I'd have drowned.

Really loved the authors writing style! The last dark fantasy I read was one sex scene after another. Author avoided that and kept you interested with the story, characters & writing. Overall very well don
Nozomi
Aug 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
I bought this used. My copy had an inscription and was signed by the author. I thought, "ouch." But after reading, I realize why the original owners of the book sold/donated/gave it away. It's not that good. What's missing is the character development. I just didn't care about the fate of any of the characters, because they're not made likable. They're just there without any of the emotions to compell me to like them. I can't narrow it down. Anyway, so I'm PBSing my copy too, though I liked to h ...more
Vicki
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dark urban fantasy, nicely written, good characters with realistic dialog, pulls you in and carries you along. An artist, a musician, a possessed teen in story lines that converge on a journey to a supernatural concert in the desert. Even the demons are interesting.
Rosemary
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
it was interesting
Samuel
This book is pretentious, I don't know what else to say. It seems to try hard to be shocking, but is couched in overly flowery prose and just comes off as... well... pretentious.
Karissa
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have had this book on my TBR pile for a long time and was happy to finally read it. This is one of those slightly ambiguous paranormal demon themed books that is a blend between dream and reality, horror and fantasy. I actually enjoyed the writing style and thought it was an intriguing and unique read. It was very similar in tone to books I have read by Elizabeth Hand or Caitlin Kiernan. It also had a bit of that same dreamy quality to it that Catherynne Valente’s Palimpsest had to it.

This boo
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Fantasy
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri's Gift
Even though the book was a gift from a friend I let this lie on my bookshelf for years, reluctant to pick it up. The title, the cover and back blurb made this sound like hundreds of other urban fantasies complete with vampires.

I was wrong.

First, look ma, no vampires. Now, don't get me wrong, I rather like the creatures in many iterations from Stoker to King to Rice to Hamilton and Harris (but not Meyer.) But just how many such books are out there? And if not the bloodsuckers, well, then it's wer
Emmett Spain
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
What drew me to this book was the prose. I was shown the first few pages and was immediately enticed by the elegance with which the book was written. Justine Musk truly does have a way with words, and paints works of art for the mind on almost every page of this urban fantasy piece. It’s a pleasure to read a book that is so well written.

The only drawback I found was the second act. In a hero’s journey there is typically the first act awakening, the second act training, and the third act confront
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1) by Justine Musk is an interesting, dark urban fantasy with new intriguing creatures of both good and evil. I like that there is something new out there, not the same old thing. I have read Musk's books before and enjoyed them. A good dark fantasy once in a while lightens things up, lol. She has new creatures, great plot, twists, turns, some gore but yea, it's a dark fantasy. I enjoyed the wondering of who is the boy in the painting, who is the summoner, who is this sin ...more
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in a really long while, and I am so happy to see there is a sequel. I immediately ordered it on paperbackswap, as well as her third book. This is a new author for me, and I really enjoyed her writing style and her ability to create characters you care about and can relate to, even as they are exposed to supernatural situations and unlikely events. The plot kept me engaged - I loved Jess and wanted her to survive, even when the odds seemed impossible. I am ...more
C.
The writing style of Justine Musk is unique and all her own. Some people may find it distracting, but I found it dynamic and appropriate for the narrative.

I enjoyed the characters. There were fleshed-out characters on every side of the narrative. From the girl recruited for good, the guy stuck with evil, and the boy caught in the middle. I felt concern for them, maybe not as much as some other characters I’ve seen, but enough to keep reading.

My disappointment was how the middle of the narrative
Juliet
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
Wow. It took me 2 days to read this book because I didn't want to stop. I kept parsing it out to myself in small pieces; trying to make it go further even though I have the sequel. What struck me most about this was the writing. It sounds silly considering the amount of media I devour, but really compared to all the other fiction subgenres I read the words in this were refreshing. It wasn't formula, it was artistic, it was different, it was fresh, and evocative. It made me wish I was back in Los ...more
L
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really fun to read, kind of know where it's headed but the writing style keeps you intrigued. Enjoyable and creative. Three story lines are brought together in a well-thought-out way. If anything I would have liked it to be longer with a little more depth to the world and characters. I think it is a series but didn't feel like it was only here for the next installment a la "Pirate of Caribbean Movies".
Tasula
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is based in current day USA, with sorcerers facing the threat of a world takeover by hell's creatures. There is a cast of interesting characters who eventually converge and face each other. It reminded me a bit of some of Poppy Z Brite's work(who wrote a blurb for the cover)- in being pretty brutal and a bit amoral- innocents and good guys are not exempt from torture and death
Elizabeth
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-horror
I really *wanted* to like this book but the characters were just way too one-dimensional.

The author crammed too much plot into a relatively short book and glossed over most of the disturbing things that occurred. I think if she could've fleshed things out and stopped pulling punches, it would've been a lot better.
M—
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I feel a little bad for rating this so low because it's probably only contingent on my having glutted myself of this genre, but I found it just so profoundly meh.

No more urban fantasy/horror books by unknown/new authors for me, and I'm sticking to it! ...At least not unless it comes hugely recommended.
Deirdre
Jan 06, 2008 rated it liked it
A complicated story of horror and strange people and powers.

All about an evil that's been hidden for years and now is going to come back and about a group of people trying to fight it.

It's more in the horror than the urban fantasy end of things and not really to my taste. Not a bad read but it didn't really resonate with me.
Shannon
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Musk's first work. It's pretty good. I liked the plot and the characters are decently developed. Still, feels like it could have been a little longer to really flesh out the world she's created. I'd like to hear more about how it all works together. I'd especially like to know more about Kai's life before all the events in this book. A prequel would be excellent.
Jenn
Oct 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I got this as a gift a long time ago. I tried it and didn't care for it, but set it aside to try again. I finally picked it up to try again and it's still not any good. It reads like one of those really crappy free Kindle books. It's disjointed and hard to follow. I didn't care about anything in the book, so I'm lemming it and putting it in the pile for the used book store. No thanks.
Leah Clifford
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book kicks serious ass. It's one of those books you read and love and after you let out a heavy sigh and say to yourself "I will never be this good." And then you go back to page one and start it all over again.
Erinn
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
I had eyed for quite some time, and now I wish I had picked it up sooner and read it. The title made me think vampires, but really it was more of a magic, angels and demons kind of book. I enjoyed the writer's style and the story she told, and will most certainly read any other books she writes.
kate
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy
hrm, i'd have to give this 3.5 stars. the plot was really interesting, but sometimes the writing style and dialogue just didn't do it for me. it was a page-turner though, which i enjoyed. it read very much like a film, and i could easily see it being made into one.
Heather A
One of the best books I've read this year. A very dark urban fantasy, with beautifully lyrical writing making the book impossible to put down. At times the plot was disjointed and very confusing, but it didn't matter because the writing was so good.
Beautiful_Jade
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book hooked me in right from the beginning.

Lots of different characters linked together through an evil entity, that has escaped imprisonment and is out to reek havoc on this world.

Not everyone is what they seem or even what they, themselves, think they are.
Sarai
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
I gave this 5 stars when I read it the first time. Now its time for a re-read and to see if my thoughts have changed.
This is my re-read for March and I'm very excited to read it.I have forgotten how well of writer Ms.Musk is
Michelle
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
An apocalyptic story about angry people trying to destroy/save the world. Excellent writing craft though.
  • Threshold (Chance Matthews #1)
  • Desdaemona (Desdaemona,#1)
  • With a Vengeance
  • Bite Marks: A Vampire Testament
  • The Dark Storm (Dark Storm #1)
  • Apocalypse Memories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #2)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Bad Bargain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #5)
  • GloomCookie, Volume 2 (GloomCookie, #2)
  • The Conjurer Princess
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Missing Millionaire (Trixie Belden, #34)
  • The Black King (Black Throne, #2; The Fey, #7)
  • Season of Sacrifice
  • Daughters of an Amber Noon
  • Frostflower And Thorn (Frostflower, #1)
  • Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles, #1)
  • Jedermann. Das Spiel vom Sterben des reichen Mannes
Justine Musk was born in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada and earned a degree in English literature from Queen's University. After working and traveling in Australia and Japan, she moved to California. She is divorced and lives in Los Angeles.

Her website is www.tribalwriter.com.

She's the author of three books: a YA supernatural thriller called UNINVITED (MTV Books/Simon & Schuster), the dark urb

BloodAngel (2 books)
  • Lord of Bones (BloodAngel, #2)