Start by marking “Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)

Break Your Glass Slippers

(You Are Your Own Fairy Tale #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  5,716 ratings  ·  1,122 reviews
"more forgetting time.
more midnight dances with yourself
."

amanda lovelace, the bestselling & award-winning author of the “women are some kind of magic” poetry series, presents a new companion series, “you are your own fairy tale” the first installment, break your glass slippers, is about overcoming those who don’t see your worth, even if that person is sometimes yourself.
Published March 17th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Break Your Glass Slippers, please sign up.
Rianne Stratford I think if you want to start women feeling empowered young, then from 10/11 upwards is good. It definitely tackles SOME triggering things (fatphobia, …moreI think if you want to start women feeling empowered young, then from 10/11 upwards is good. It definitely tackles SOME triggering things (fatphobia, broken hearts, abandonment, feeling alone etc) but there is nothing TOO deep for younger readers.

That being said I'm 28 and still enjoyed it thoroughly, I truly think any age could enjoy it and be left feeling strong!(less)

·  5,716 ratings  ·  1,122 reviews

Start your review of Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
Anandi Puritipati
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'll get this out of the way first- the message that Amanda is trying to send through this book is a GREAT one and I can completely understand her words being words you need to hear when you're in a specific place in your life.

That being said, I think a strong, powerful and positive message can still open up a work of art for criticism. I don't know why I keep coming back to Amanda's work when it's always been a hit or miss for me. All I can say is that she's easy to read and sometimes she makes
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Another gorgeously written, relatable poetry collection from Amanda. I love how she structured this collection to be poems from the narrator and poems in response by the fairy godmother of Cinderella. It was really clever, and, as always, I highlighted and adored every poem in this collection 🥰
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been staying away from this collection for almost a month after getting the book because I was trying so hard to calm myself down...and not wanting to lose my sanity while reading it. Because I knew I would freaking love it!!!
And yes, how can I be wrong when it comes to Amanda Lovelace's books!
And....

I absolutely love it!
Her books get me. Too real. Too deep. Too raw. Too freaking liberating. Too damn lively. Too damn empowering as always!

What I totally didn't expect was the amazing colo
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I got the early review copy of this poetry retelling and cracked it open immediately, I had zero chill. It was a good call because this is my favourite read so far from Amanda Lovelace. It was definitely less sad than some of her previous work and it was incredibly empowering.

The poems are told in a way that depicts a retelling of Cinderella. There are various narrators such as fairy godmother, Cinders and Charming. Fairy godmother was my favourite, instilling sage words for any women to have af
Break Your Glass Slippers is a collection of poetry themed with female empowerment. It's a love letter to the girl who is tasked with breaking toxic cycles and it's a siren call to females everywhere that we are worthy of more. I loved that Amanda Lovelace counteracts every negative message with an example of positive, healthy self-talk. This is therapy right here. Check it out.

Note: Significant trigger warnings are listed before the poetry begins. Please seek these out if needed.

Dannii Elle
"if you can no longer recognize the face reflected in the bathroom mirror, remember this: you are ever-changing. ever-spinning, too, just like mother earth. when you fall from the pure exhaustion of it all, you have every means to get back up & start over again.

keep going, little dancer.

keep going."

I have read every one of Amanda Lovelace's stark yet beautiful poetry collections and found each both much the same, in terms of basic theme, and yet starkly different, in their chosen confrontation o
Zainab
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I'm not saying the poems were bad or anything- they weren't- but I enjoyed the whole aesthetic of the book much more. ...more
Ankit Garg
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
"Break Your Glass Slippers" is the first book in the new series by celebrated poet Amanda Lovelace. As the name hints, I began this one by hoping it to be a poetic retelling of the Cinderella tale. The first part (there are a total of three parts) goes as expected. The later parts want us to stop believing in fairy tales, but instead write our own life story. A powerful message indeed.

It is also a tale of feminism and misogyny, poetically explaining the two terms and subtly pointing out how, som
Shealea
Feb 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Amazingly, I did not hate this as much as I hated the witch doesn't burn in this one. In fact, and perhaps even more amazingly, I did not hate this collection at all.

However, for her sixth published poetry collection, Amanda Lovelace shows very little growth as a poet and as a writer. Much like her previous books, her pieces tend to get annoyingly repetitive to the point that it sort of feels like she's plagiarizing herself (but she isn't, I guess). Her poems remain contrived and insubstantial.
Mariah
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley.

A completely novel approach to the Retelling genre.
For those of us who grew up loving fairy tales but always craved more.
This fits perfectly with Lovelace's Women Are Some Kind of Magic Series, which is high praise in itself.

I often say that we tend to be much kinder to the people we love than we are to ourselves.
We would never say half the stuff we tell ourselves in our worst moments to our loved one - and isn't that really telling?

This book is like a
Emma
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this poetry collection very much. I really liked how Amanda Lovelace took some of the original Cinderella tropes and changed them to put them into her own poems. I especially liked how the fairy godmother was presented as the supporter we all need in life and also how we can all be our own fairy godmothers.
The poems in this book are empowering and promote self-love. Also, the illustrati
Romie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
probably one of my favourite poetry collections I've read by Amanda Lovelace! I loved how this one was so body positive, but also talks about what it means to truly be a feminist, what it means to live in a world with so much misogyny. I loved the poems about the godmother, it shows such a healthy motherly relationship. truly a beautiful collection! (4.25) ...more
Abbyturnsthepage
Mar 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
This was supposed to be a retelling of Cinderella, but it felt more like walking down a virtual Etsy aisle full of all of those cliche sayings. You know the ones -
"I am not my bad decisions."
"Every new moon is a chance to start anew."
"The universe is always guiding you."

I read this book of poetry gagging on the inside. Great concept, poor execution.
The Nerd Daily
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by AB Endacott

I’m never certain how I feel about this kind of confessional writing, when an author lays themselves bare in an upfront and clear fashion. It would be a lie to say I’ve never drawn on personal experience in writing my own books, but the memory or emotion that I use is hidden beneath layers of worldbuilding and plotline so that it is almost unrecognisable (often, even to myself). Lovelace says in the author’s note of Break Your Glass S
Drewthereader20
This is probally one of my favorites by Amanda Lovelace! There are a lot of trigger warrings in this that its hard to list it all...
But I love how her writing have grew a lot!(:
Beatrice Masaluñga
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, arc
ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing.

Amanda Lovelace incorporates fairy tales in her latest poetry collection about self-love, empowerment and feminism. In the midst of the community quarantine the poems soothed me and uplifted my spirit. Admittedly, I disliked her previous collections and there poems here I still find redundant and basic.

Luckily I'm in a good mood to appreciate its flaws. It's a good collection but not the b
Taylor Knight
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read several of Amanda’s poetry books in the past and always enjoyed them but this is by far my favorite. I really connected with these poems and I feel like Amanda’s books keep getting better and better. I’ll always be excited for her releases and I can’t wait to pick up a physical copy of this book to add to my poetry shelf.
Sylvie
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
3.75

I've read almost all of Amanda Lovelace's poetries at this point, but this was the one I liked the best.
Michelle
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Andrews Mcmeel Publishing for allowing me to read an e-arc copy of this book. It was just released last month on a March 17,2020.

5 stars!

I went into this book already knowing that I thoroughly enjoy Amanda Lovelace’s poetry. In my eyes , this author can do no wrong. Her subjects are relatable and her words run together so fluidly.

If you’ve seen my review on “The Princess Saves Herself in this One” you will know that her words hit me where it hurts, forcing me to thin
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I received an advance review copy from Andrews McMeel Publishing through Netgalley; all opinions are my own and honest.

I absolutely adore this collection. Amanda Lovelace has always been one of my go-tos for reassurance and emotional comfort, a reminder that I'm doing just fine and I am enough.

I've never read anything quite like it, the mix of Cinderella retelling with self-discovery and relationship building, all in thoughtful free verse; I would've liked to see the Cinderella motif e
Paula (lovebookscl)
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
The Arc of this books was provided by the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

(English/Español)

-In a Nutshell: The Princess saves herself

-MC: The Princess

-Plot: Poetry about an amazing girl (everyone of us) and her fairy tale story.

-My Opinion: I Loved this. Break Your Glass Slippers is the first Amanda Lovelace's book that I read... and woah!!! so wonderful. It was like receiving a personal message and I think it's something we should all read.

******ESPAÑOL******

Gracias a
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
I truly wish I saw what everyone else seems to see/feel when reading a poetry book by this author. This was by no means her worst book but it didn't feel like anything extraordinary. The second part of this book was probably my favorite out of all three. The poems seemed to have meaning and power behind them. I also appreciate the self-love narrative she weaved throughout this novel. I'm a firm believer in the notion that if you can't love yourself then you can't love somebody else. Though I wil ...more
Emma
Reading the books nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards: Book #7
“there is strength in vulnerability and true courage in accepting who you are.”
I read The Princess Saves Herself in This One in 2018, and it definitely wasn't for me. So my expectations were lower with this one, which is why it took me by surprise. A few of my original criticisms do still stand, and modern poetry still isn't quite my thing, but I'm challenging myself to read outside of my comfort zone & try to finish as m
Beatrix
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely poems. Lovely feminist retelling of Cinderella.
Brogan Lane
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
"her precious fairy tales showed her what would happen if she found her prince, but they never prepared her for what she should if her prince turned out to be her unhappily ever after."

I greatly enjoyed break your glass slippers, which is Amanda Lovelace's latest poetry collection. I think I liked it more than her Women Are Some Kind of Magic trilogy because Lovelace alluded to the Cinderella fairy tale more, and it really worked. It was almost written as a dual narrative with one being 'the pri
chloe ♡
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"she never needed anyone else's help to have the fairy tale she always wanted. at long last, she's realized one of the greatest truths a person can learn during the course of a life: she is her own goddamn fairy tale."

reasons why everyone should go pick up this book:
• retells the cinderella fairytale with a modern twist
• focuses on important topics such as self-love, feminism and body positivity
• the author's note is so, so beautiful
• will leave you feeling positive and empowered, which is somet
♡ jules ♡
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

fairy godmother says don’t know if anyone has ever told you this, but: their lack of love for you does not make you any less loveable.

Amanda Lovelace does it again. I am not a fan of her older poetry collections but lately she keeps on surprising me and make me feel empowered in a way not many others can. Definitely can’t wait to see what other work she will publish in the future.
Mimi
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
"I'll be over here,
being flawless in every flaw."
Katherine Velasquez
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It would be an understatement to say that Amanda is my favorite author. “She never needed anyone else’s help to have the fairy tale she always wanted. At long last, she’s realized one of the greatest truths a person can learn during the course of a life: she is her own goddam fairy tale.” Any amazing was to end a book. Ever line is filled to the brim with power that the overflow is enough to light a fire in you. Not even needing to say any situations shes able to carry so much in her words that ...more

• The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Home Body
  • I Hope You Stay
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Merry Inkmas
  • Whatever It Takes (Bad Reputation Duet, #1)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • What Lies Between Us
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Golden Age - Volume 1, Part 1
  • Reputation
  • a fire like you
  • FREEDOM : Human Trafficking and Encounter with Soul
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
growing up a word-devourer & avid fairy tale lover, it was only natural that amanda lovelace began writing books of her own, & so she did. when she isn't reading or writing, she can be found waiting for pumpkin spice coffee to come back into season & binge-watching gilmore girls. (before you ask: team jess all the way). the lifelong poetess & storyteller currently lives in new jersey with her fian ...more

You Are Your Own Fairy Tale (2 books)
  • Shine your Icy Crown (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #2)