Start by marking “The Cad (C Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cad (C Series, #1)

The Cad (C Series #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Bridget Cooke possesses the gifts London society prizes: genteel manners, intelligence, an exquisite figure. She lacks, however, a fortune. A companion to icy relatives, Bridget resigns herself to a life of solitude, especially because of the childhood scar that mars her lovely face. Little does she expect to receive the vigorous attentions of darkly handsome, rich widower ...more
Published August 5th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Cad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cad

Steelwhisper
1.5* rounded up

This was... odd.

The prose was overly verbose, the plot overly complicated, the novel overly long, but I liked the two street urchins enough to finish reading.
Desi
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have never felt so much anxiety for a woman in a book. He wouldn't introduce her to his friends, or his family, he holed her up in a country house, he made promises, he rushed things, didn't go through proper channels, he left on "business", all those dire warning signs of shady men. It was just impossible to know what on earth was going on. Anyone looking in on the situation would say the woman was gullible. Hence the feeling of stress for her. Masterfully held up throughout the book, always ...more
Jeri
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Bridget Cooke is a poor relation when a chance meeting with rakish Lord Ewen Sinclair leads to a hasty marriage. After glorious honeymoon, Ewen is called away and Bridget is left to hints and rumors about Ewen's behavior and even about the truth of their marriage.

This is another one that started off great. I enjoyed it, but the separation was, well, tedious. It was obvious what was going on and it lasted too long -- they are apart for nearly half the book. I found myself skimming, where I had be
Ana T.
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I've heard so many good things about this book that, in my mind, it was up there with favourites like Lord of Scoundrels or Heartless. Unfortunately, after having read it, I thought it was an ok read but not an outstanding one. In fact, with a title like The Cad, I was expecting a far tougher hero than the one I got.

But there is much to like in The Cad. First we have an original heroine. A lot of heroines have imaginary or common flaws, but this one actually has a scar on her face that makes peo
Tina
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it

Ewan, Viscount Sinclair is in London the on the hunt for his wife. He is a widower and a Rake.

Bridget Cooke is a poor relation who has been passed from family member to family member and has been mainly a glorified, unpaid maid, nurse and now a companion to her beautiful cousin Cecily.

Sinclair and Bridget lock eyes across a crowded ballroom. A happening that is really not a good thing for Bridget because of who she is and because of what he is. But Sinclair is intrigued by her and pur
Suzanne
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The sexual tension in this regency romance is almost palpable, which was unusual and wonderful. Just about all historical romance novels attempt to portray physical romantic attraction, but few are actually successful. The romance and the sexual attraction is so believable in this novel because of the wonderful dialogue and the characterization of the hero and heroine, particularly Lord Ewen Sinclair. a romantic hero who has it all; naughtiness, wit, determination, humor, and honor. His skillful ...more
Anne
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2013-bir
It was not bad, though the latter part seemed a bit contrived, and I think 100 pages could have been cut out and not lost the heart of the story.
I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book, then it got odd and more complicated than it needed to be.
Hopefulpuffin
Holy crap. 4 1/2 only because it got a little convoluted at the end and the two leads spent too much time apart - they had such fantastic dialogue I wanted more of it.

I was amazed by this book. I'd read one of Layton's books (the one with the rakish duke and a wager) which I thought was okay. But THIS. This was awesome.

I was so stressed out for Bridget I was up half the night wondering how on earth she could earn her HEA. I had all sorts of convoluted scenarios in my mind. Everything fast just
Ilze
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edith-layton
Aneca's review echoes my thoughts and feelings about this book pretty closely, but I couldn't give it more than 2 stars because the character of the villainess was completely unbelievable. I also found the Gilly character a lot more annoying than likeable, especially in the scene where Gilly rips into Bridget for being Ewen's mistress instead of his wife. Gilly should have really grovelled at the end, but nothing like that happened. The whole build-up to the final scene with the villainess was f ...more
Sabrina
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully written romance between an unlikely pair: Bridget Cooke, a lady's companion with no wealth or connections, and Viscount Ewan Sinclair, a dashing soldier and self-confessed rake. I loved the interplay between these two well-rounded people from the first. I laughed and sighed along with them, and most of all I rooted for their happiness. Bridget's point of view is particularly touching and engaging, and Ewan was wonderful. Highly recommended.
Natalija
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
This book had a very good start, but then it somehow lost its magic & at the end the only thing that kept me going was Ewen's marriage mistery. Another big letdown was that for the big part of the second half of the book Ewen & Bridget were separated, although I really appreciated the fact that Bridget had a faith in her husband and didn't run like I expected her to do.
April
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really great read! Plenty of drama to keep the story interesting. Very well paced and nice narrative. A really sweet story at points and at other parts gut wrenching. Can't wait for more of the series!
Doreen
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A rake marries a scarred women, quickly and without much ceremony. But after a couple of weeks he leaves her in the country while he goes back to London on what he claims is urgent business. Until the last we are not sure whether her faith in him is entirely justified.
LibraryLass
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5 than a 4. There were a few moments in the book which were just a tad too sucarylly(?!) sweet and cliched. Other than those moments, though I really enjoyed this light read.
Shanna Bridegan
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romances
I found this book to not be my favorite in the series, but I liked that it was so unpredictable. I would say it is definitely mature though, somewhere in between pg-13 and R.
Ana
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars because I skimmed through the last 1/3 of the book. I liked how it started but was bored with the latter part.
Seema
First half was really good, Gilly was more interesting..the hero disappears halfway through..it was okay
Rose
I didn't particularly care for this book. It was very average Regency Romance, but slightly below par.
Alisha
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.6
Kiera
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Due to the extended separation I ended up skimming the second half of this book.
penelopewanders
First in this series... fun, quick read. Perfect for summer entertainment.
Nancy Boehner
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Loyal Companion
  • The Gypsy Heiress
  • Fallen Angel
  • Lord St. Claire's Angel (Lords and Ladies, #1)
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • Knave's Wager
  • So Enchanting
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • After Innocence (Delanza, #2)
  • Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies, #4)
  • A Regency Christmas Feast
  • In My Heart (Donally Family, #1)
  • Fallen
  • Tapestry
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • To Wed A Viscount
  • Dark Wager
  • Temptation of a Proper Governess (Cameron Sisters, #1)
Edith Layton wrote her first novel when she was ten. She bought a marbleized notebook and set out to write a story that would fit between its covers. Now, an award-winning author with more than thirty novels and numerous novellas to her credit, her criteria have changed. The story has to fit the reader as well as between the covers.

Graduating from Hunter College in New York City with a degree in c
More about Edith Layton...

C Series (7 books)
  • The Choice (C Series, #2)
  • The Chance (C Series, #3)
  • The Challenge (C Series, #4)
  • The Conquest (C Series, #5)
  • To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6)
  • To Tempt a Bride (C Series, #7)