Start by marking “Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime” as Want to Read:

MUST WE AGE?

A long life in a healthy, vigorous, youthful body has always been one of humanity's greatest dreams. Recent progress in genetic manipulations and calorie-restricted diets in laboratory animals hold forth the promise that someday science will enable us to exert total control over our own biological aging.

Nearly all scientists who study the biology of aging agree
Published September 4th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

Tj Murphy
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I had been wondering about the legitimacy of the idea of radical life extension, and was lead to this book. De Gray is a gerontologist - he does basic research into the causes of aging related diseases - and his stated purpose in writing this book is to encourage the public to view aging as a treatable disease rather than an inevitable part of the cycle of life and death.

The book consists of a short moral argument about the immediate importance of researching aging (because it maims and kills h
Beth
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The science is fascinating, but de Grey's ego can be a distraction.
Karel Baloun
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aubrey de Grey provides an optimistic service in summarizing all aging into seven general physiological areas, and providing a framework for science-based rejuvenation: strategies for engineering negligible senescence (SENS). Each area includes rather detailed biochemical and physiological explanations, and an evaluation of progress from related medical work.

The 7 areas are:
Mitochondrial DNA failures
Cell loss/atrophy, incl Immune senescence
Cancer
Death avoiding cells
Intercellular junk, and lysos
Bo Blanckenburg
"Give me all your pension money, and I'll make sure you live forever!" Yeah, like we hadn't heard that one before. It's written in a fun way, but as a moleculair biologist I was cringing every other page at inconsistenties and misquotations to plain basic science. Would work as a fictional book, not a scientific one. Have a good laugh, and forget about it.
David
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read the book, become obsessed with living forever
Irwan
Dec 23, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am happy that someone or some people dare to explore this domain. That left me hopeful and excited....
Scott Lerch
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to live forever
My gut feeling is this book is overly optimistic about how easily aging will be overcome in the near future, but as Ray Kurzweil would say human intuition is really bad when it comes to scientific/technological progress. The premise sounds good: don’t try to fix the all the complex metabolic pathways that contribute to aging, that’s near impossible, instead just try to clean up all the toxins and junk that builds up with age, and we will stay youthful. Of course it’s a little more complex than t ...more
Darius
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
The only certainty is taxes, apparently.

Throughout human history, we have accepted the life of our parents as a template for our own lives. In concious ways, but also in unconcious ways. Like the inevitability of death. But we will be forced to re-evaluate even that, it seems.

This chatty british author fires the first shot over the bow. There will be better authors to cover the subject (Gladwell? Please?), but DeGrey got here first. And he's maybe a bit condescending in how he 'exposes' our "pro
Zarathustra Goertzel
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
=D The book describes many various forms of aging and strategies to clean them out or obviate them. I've never really had a biology class, so I found it to be a good primer in that sense too. I've wanted to live forever since I was a kid and never doubted its possibility. So it's very nice to have a general view of how we may actually do this.

One can tell which chapters De Grey knows more about and which he doesn't. The ones he knows the best are far better written.
Teo 2050
8h @ 2x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Katelyn
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazing. The book gets technical at times for light reading, but I appreciate the confidence. Some very exciting ideas in this book!
Leon M
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die ewige Jugend - ein Thema, wie aus dem Märchenbuch. Doch kein Thema, welches im Märchenbuch bleiben muss, wie Aubrey de Grey in seinem Buch "Niemals alt!" (englische Originalversion: "Ending Aging") schlüssig darlegt.

Das Buch beginnt mit einer Diskussion, worauf der Begriff "Altern" eigentlich abzielt und was konkret den Alterungsprozess ausmacht, wo man also eingreifen könnte, um das Altern zu verhindern. Mit der Analogie zu einem Oldtimer illustriert Grey seinen Ansatz in Bezug auf die Alt
Mugizi Rwebangira
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I had read a few articles about de Grey before starting the book so I knew his basic ideas:

-Aging is an engineering problem.
-We need to fund research on "fixing" aging, not just "understanding" it.

Turns out I really didn't learn too much from the book.

First, I didn't find it very well written for a science book for the general public. He sounded far too defensive and querulous. Most importantly his ideas didn't flow smoothly.

Secondly, it was FAAR too dense with detailed biochemistry. I don't thi
Juan
Hito en la ciencia del (anti) envejecimiento. No necesariamente una descripción completa. Me explico: aunque lo que hace Aubrey de Grey es abarcar el conjunto de procesos individualizados que dan lugar a lo que globalmente llamamos envejecimiento, su enfoque de manera consciente huye de buscar causas subyacentes o soluciones globales y en su lugar adopta el punto de vista más concreto del ingeniero. Eso tiene al menos dos derivadas: una, que no se mete en demasiadas profundidades, y dos, que de ...more
Jamie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Certainly an interesting and consequential subject matter, "Ending Aging" catalogues the many aspects of aging on the cellular level, discussing strategies toward remedying the process, as well as the current state of scientific progress on those fronts. The polemics arguing for why the pursuit of ending aging is a good thing in the first place - something that I, along with de Gray, see as an unfortunate distraction to this issue - are well done. There were however long stretches of what seemed ...more
Wojciech Jurczyk
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A joy to read! Ageing is first demystified, then divided into several facets. Lastly, it's not conquered, but de Grey (and his co-author) describes in detail many strategies how to get there. He touches not only on the biological/physical problems of defeating ageing, but also addresses the moral, political, and economical hurdles.

What you won't get from this read is a projection of how life will be like when everybody gets into their four digits and more (= science fiction). But to be fair, th
Brian Yap
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Metabolic processes in our bodies are merely chemical reactions. The aging phenomenon is caused by the accumulation of damage to biological structures and the induced state of dysfunctional cells. Strategies to reverse such damage on a cellular level are plausible and such efforts deserve more research funding and awareness. A great introductory book for anyone seeking answers to a scientifically possible equivalent of the Fountain of Youth.
Alexis
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring read, I've read a few articles about separate concerns mentioned throughout the book, but most of all I couldn't help but circle back on the implications of a significant extension of life and what that would mean for our species here on earth (and/or elsewhere)
Robin Tama
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first few chapters were great. He lost me a bit when he got into the specific biological solutions. It left me wishing I had more of an education in biology. I would recommend this book to anyone with a background in biology.
Lisa
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Continuing my path of picking up books that ordinarily would not be on the top of my reading list, I completed Ending Aging. Interesting and eye opening I am happy I spent the time on this book. My deeper concern is making sure the world stays a good place to live in ....forever?
Reen Alangari
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
كتاب مهم لكن صعب بالنسبة لي يحتاج شرح لان كانه درس بيولوجي لكن أفكاره مهمه في شرح الشيخوخة والدراسات عنها وكيفية منعها
Kim Zinkowski
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unrated at completion. A very interesting book. 20 pages of excerpts!
Luka
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!
Ike
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF. Author has a serious case of egocentrism
Simon Hohenadl
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Too much detail for me - this might be totally different for readers more interested in cellular biology.
Anton Mies
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading through the review section I feel a bit more grounded, yet the idea that we mustn't die young and frail remains with me. The dogma of accepting the dead as it is, strongly prevails and many more say we should embrace it and that being ok with it, is something of a spiritual enlightenment.
But this book provides a different view for those who have something to live for...at least for a tad longer than the usual 100 years.
The ideas depicted in the book are a nice beginning, especially the
GONZA
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebk
Pretty difficult, so I'm not sure I got the complete picture and, even more important, the way this studies are going to evolve, still it was an interesting reading that give me a glimpse of a lot of possibilities for the future.

Libro abbastanza difficile, infatti non sono sicura di avere il quadro completo della situazione, tanto meno di come potrebbe evolvere, nonostante questo una lettura interessante che mi ha dato una visione di un futuro pieno di possibilitá.
L
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
don8
djcb
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main premise of this book is that aging is a disease like any other; that we can identify seven specific vectors and, importantly, that we're not too far off doing something about all seven. In particular, De Grey argues that we do not fully understand the exact ways in which the Deadly Seven operate, yet we can do something about the actual damage-causing effects.

De Grey is an actual (but slightly non-mainstream) biological gerontologist, and is not afraid to throw a decent amount of cellu
Greg Linster
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: partially-read
I watched Aubrey De Grey give a TED talk about significantly increasing human longevity and became intrigued with his ideas, enough so to buy his book anyway. I read the first 70 pages of his book, but it became a bit more technical than I was looking for. As such, I very quickly skimmed over the remaining chapters and read a just a handful of parts I found particularly interesting.

It's not that this book was bad, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I plan on keeping it around in case I want to re
  • Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology
  • Big Little Book of Whispers
  • Human Enhancement
  • Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence
  • The Transhumanist Reader P
  • Justice and the Politics of Difference
  • Existentialism For Dummies
  • Entendre (The Man Who Loved Too Much, #2)
  • Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings
  • The People's Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records
  • Neuropolitique
  • Clean: A History of Personal Hygiene and Purity
  • Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond to the Redesigned Human of the Future
  • White Walls: A Memoir About Motherhood, Daughterhood, and the Mess In Between
  • The Lights in the Tunnel: Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future
  • Anatomy of a Poet
“I have been aware for many years that most people do not think about aging in the same way that they think about cancer, or diabetes, or heart disease. They are strongly in favor of the absolute elimination of such diseases as soon as possible, but the idea of eliminating aging—maintaining truly youthful physical and mental function indefinitely—evokes an avalanche of fears and reservations. Yet, in the sense that matters most, aging is just like smoking: It’s really bad for you.” 1 likes