Start by marking “Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment” as Want to Read:
Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment

Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment

Dave Hollis, CEO of the Hollis Co. and husband of #1New York Timesbestselling author Rachel Hollis, refutes the lies people believe but don't talk about, keeping them stuck in a rut, and points the way for readers to finally start living the best versions of their lives.

When Rachel Hollis began writing the #1New York TimesbestsellerGirl, Wash Your Face, her husband Dave
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by HarperCollins Leadership

To ask other readers questions about Get Out of Your Own Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Out of Your Own Way

Start your review of Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment
Cheri Kern
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, amazing, amazing read!!! Dave Hollis is coming in HOT ON THE HEELS of his wife Rachel in the personal growth arena with his first (of many I'm sure) book! Even though I believe his main target audience is technically men, this book literally has something for everyone.

I quite literally could not put it down. I feel like it was a deeper read than Rachel's GSA & GWYF and with none of the fluff, which I appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Rachel Hollis fan too but I felt like Dave
Christy
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

photo 0CD80980-65D0-448B-9D9C-09CEAED7083B_zpsam1hrvxo.png

If you’re looking for a motivational read about living up to your potential and chasing your dreams, look no further. Dave Hollis’s debut Get of of Your Own Way is a refreshing and relatable read full of humor and honesty.

Hollis has 19 chapters with 19 different lies he’s faced in his life, and at the end of the chapter, there is a list of three things that’s helped him. That part will be so helpful to so many people. Dave’s personal stories throughout this book made me love him even
Christine Bofenkamp
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Update: I have now read this book twice. TWICE! My last review was based on half of the book. Here is my final review.

Get Out Of Your Own Way

Yes. Yes. A thousand times, YES!

This book is witty, funny, honest, sad, truthful, and is spot on. Buy this book, borrow this book, steal it from a friend. But get your hands on this book if you truly want a life lived with your eyes and heart wide open to everything you've ever dared to dream about.

This book gave me many different emotions, and some of
Courtney Birkbeck
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a partial review because I am still waiting to read the other half of the book, but I had to come on and post this really fast.

Ok, so I have been a fan of Rachel Hollis for a while now. I helped launch GWYF and GSA and appreciated both. I have loved Dave and Rachel's Morning Show and they're so upbeat and honest and feels like they're the whole world's greatest cheerleader.

While this book seems mainly geared toward men (after all, we do have Rachels' books for us women), I believe
Anjee
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced ready copy from Harper Collins and have only read the first half of this book and already it is fire! Dave is such an inspiration. I love how he writes this book from the viewpoint of a skeptic. I think many of us can relate to that. If anyone is thinking he is riding on the coattails of Rachel, think again. He has his own success story with failure along the way.
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've preordered this book and it seems that March is years away. The 30 min audio provided after preordering makes the wait much harder!
Maria
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Note: I am currently halfway through this book, which was provided to me at no cost by HarperCollins Leadership for my honest review prior to the official release date.

Having been a fan of Dave Hollis’ wife Rachel’s two books (Girl Wash your Face & Girl Stop Apologizing), I was ecstatic when I heard Dave was working on his own book. I have gotten glimpses into Dave’s thoughts and ideas by listening to the Hollis Podcasts (which, by the way, are great too and worth checking out!), and I’ve
Jeri Ritchie
Let's Gooooooo!!!!

I have been eagerly awaiting this book as I have been an ardent follower of Dave's wife Rachel Hollis since someone handed me a copy of Girl, Wash Your Face. I have been fortunate enough to receive an Advanced Reader Copy and am currently at the half way mark. Fire! All I can say, pure FIRE!!!

From the moment I started listening to the Start Today Morning Show I felt a kinship with Dave more so than even Rachel. I was a true skeptic of the self help space. Seriously, why on
Tandy Hogate
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dave — if you’re reading this I have to say a huge thank you!! I really loved Rachel’s books but I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one. Thank you for your gut wrenching honesty. Thank you for the encouragement and for the kick in the pants. Thank you for writing your story.

For the rest of you - if you’re wondering if his book is as authentic and relatable as Rachel’s, I would say a resounding yes. Somehow for me, it went one step further to challenge me and inspire me to push past the
Adriana
Dave,

I’m writing this to you just as you wrote this book just for me (and a few million other friends, but I know mainly for me). You rocked it. No, you KILLED IT. You poured everything into this book. It couldn’t have been easy, but WE do the hard things. WE DO THEM. We just do. Your book is the kick in the pants I needed. The lay on the couch in the dark and REALLY ask myself the hard questions kind of read. Yes, I may have sped through it because I couldn’t put it down, but I promise you I’
Nelly Eisenhower
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am halfway through an advanced reader copy received my HarperCollins Leadership.

I became aware of Dave Hollis from reading GWYF and GSA. I became a fan because Dave's approach to self improvement matches my style of pragmatism. Dave also has an understanding of how to hack a preference for extrinsic motivation which I can also identify.

GOOYOW is a blend of motivation and good story. Dave speaks open and honestly about his stuggles with what he admits was a midlife crisis. Dave gives his tips
Brianna Nistler
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. It’s so inspirational to listen his story and I feel at times it’s so relatable! I would highly recommend this book to read and will be having my husband read it too!
Brittany McEwen
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dave explains the lies he believed in a way that anyone can relate to him. To the point & direct. I also enjoyed his vulnerability. He’s opening up about things that aren’t flattering & probably really hard to own up to let alone write a book about. That’s exactly why anyone will be able to relate to this book. If you find the self help world as a joke I would start with this book.
If you preorder you get an hour long eCourse about finding your why from Dave!

#getoutofyourownway #gooyow
Lisa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So far the first half of this book is simply amazing . It was enlightening how real Dave was throughout this book. Bringing up so many tough topics that I have been searching for a long time to find a personal development book to cover. I’ve been reading a lot of personal development books recently and this one included everything I was looking for and more. It’s nice to hear things from his perspective. This book is pure gold and I can’t wait to read the rest.
Kelsey Jordan
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!! Dave Hollis nails it, just like his Partner Rachel in this fantastic book. From the minute you pick this book up you are hooked to continue reading. I got to read the first half as a ARC && cannot wait until the rest is released. I’m am DYING to finish. Dave is moving on up in this epic release.

I received this as part of a ARC from the Publisher.
Kelley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible so far! Dave is authentic and relatable. It’s a breath of fresh air. Go pre-order NOW!
Miranda Flagg
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reader copy of this book (digital copy) as part of the launch team. #harpercollinsambassador

I found this to be a very easy and a great read. I loved how vulnerable Dave was in this book which made it easy to find the lies that he believed in his life so relatable. One of my favorite things about both Rachel and Dave Hollis is their ability to tell real truths even if they are embarrassing. It really does put them on the same level with us, which I believe makes their books
Jacklin Welker
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I have been a fan of Dave Hollis’ wife Rachel’s Hollis ever I sense I watched Made for more in theaters. After I
heard she had a few book out I read those and it’s my dream one day I’ll meet them.

I was ecstatic when I heard Dave was working on his own book. This book is so good and I’m half way through it. I was always curious
Christina Zimmerman
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am fortunate enough to have received an advanced reader copy of Get Out Of Your Own Way from the publisher after being apart of Girl Stop Apologizing Launch Team, I am reading the first half of the book, it’s an easy read and even though it’s written from a male perspective, personal development is for everyone and all genders can identify with Dave’s story, since I’ve started reading the book, I have decided to sign up for an upcoming Emotion Focused Family Therapy series of workshops, ...more
Lyndsay McErlean
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am currently half way through the book (I received an advanced readers copy by the amazing team at HarperCollins Leadership!)
This book is amazing! It is every thing you need to start your year off strong. Told through personal stories, it is very relatable and touches every part of you. It sets your heart on fire for wanting more and actually achieving your goals.
Renee Rasmussen
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic personal progress book for the externally motivated humans. LETS GOOOOOOO

*the publisher sent me an advanced first half.
Wendy Marie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m halfway through the book, and LOVE it!! Dave is vulnerable and relatable! He really puts it out there all the ways we self sabotage. Get ready to make the changes..... get ready to live your best life! ...more
Neisha
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free copy of this book from HarperCollins Leadership as a part of the launch team. All opinions posted are my own.**

Y'all...I loved this book! Dave and Rachel Hollis are both so incredibly good at being able to light fires in people's hearts. I've read both of Rachel's books and COULD.NOT.WAIT. to get my hands on Dave's! Now, I've read the first half and cannot wait to finish it!

I've been listening to their Start Today Morning Show Podcasts for awhile and, while I love them
Allison
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Could you walk away from the thing that is a pinnacle life achievement for most humans? Dave starts this book at the beginning, when he left Disney, moved to Texas, and founded The Hollis Co. with his wife.

This book has practical steps and actions for leveling UP, that go far beyond just saying, "you need to level-up." He tells you his recipe. It's not a secret. In the end though, it's up to you to go into the kitchen and cook up your own dream loves!

A big Mwah to Harper Collins for providing
Ashley DeLuca
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read the first half of this book and could not put it down! After reading his wife’s books, I knew I had to dive into Dave’s which did not disappoint! I love his approach to life lessons he encountered and the encouragement he provides. I cannot wait to finish this book as a whole! A must read!

#getoutofyourownway #gooyow #harpercollinsambassador

I received a free copy of Get Out of Your Own Way from HarperCollins Leadership as a member of this launch team. All opinions are my own.
Candice Verni
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dave Hollis is incredibly relatable in Get Out of Your Own Way. He gets you hooked from the start, and makes you see everyone has their flaws, everyone goes through jealousy (even over their spouse) and they can get through it and be their best self (or strive to be anyway). He is great at describing his own flaws, and how he is working on himself, to be a better father, husband, and person he is proud of. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the first half of this book and cant wait to finish it. ...more
Heather Haigh
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I absolutely love the honesty the authentic self the motivation the realism all the things. Very honored to have read the first half of the book via advanced copy of digital read thanks to being a Harper Collins ambassador. Dave Hollis did a fantastic job. I highly suggest!
Kristine Irwin
Autumn Conrad
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of the Rachel Hollis books when I heard about Dave’s book I figured it would be geared more towards men. I’m halfway through reading this book and man was I Wong. His works speak to me and I can completely relate to the situations he talks about. I look forward to finishing this book and will continue to update my review. For now I’d say this is a great book for both men and women who are working on being the best version of themselves.

I received a free advanced copy of this book
Nadia
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOODNESS! This book contained EVERYTHING I needed to hear. There's so many times I have been in my own way of happiness and success and the title LITERALLY spoke to me. I have known about this book for months prior to it being released, from all the social media posts on Rachel's instagram and have been anxiously waiting!! Just in the first half of the book I feel so ENLIGHTENED! Can not wait to read the rest.

***I received a free copy of this book from harpercollins as a part of the launch
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Clutter-Free Home: Making Room for Your Life
  • Character Still Counts: It Is Time to Restore Our Lasting Values
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Lemonade Life: How to Fuel Success, Create Happiness, and Conquer Anything
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Playlist: The Rebels and Revolutionaries of Sound
  • Jesus: The God Who Knows Your Name
  • We Should All Be Feminists
  • The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
  • The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between