Start by marking “Escape” as Want to Read:
Escape

Escape (Beach #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  731 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Rowan thinks spending her gap year in the USA will be the best thing she’s ever done. Her family’s driving her mad, and she desperately needs to get away from the relentless what-are-you-going-to-do-with-the-rest-of-your-life? parental pressure.

America, land of the free, here I come…

But after starting to work for psychotic Sha and her hot-housed kid in Seattle, Rowan feels
Published July 18th 2003 by Scholastic Point

To ask other readers questions about Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape

Ruth
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading books by British authors is definitely fun, and I liked the first third of this book where the main character flies to America to nanny for a little girl with a really strange family (was this book written before or after the nanny diaries? because they have a heck of a lot in common). From there, it all goes downhill. After a stupid, crazed, obsession that she has over this guy who is as shallow as a kiddy pool and treats her like dirt all summer......she ends up with him. Wow, way to p ...more
Maya
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Report Guidelines – Good Reads
Name of book: California Holiday
Author: Kate Cann
Pages: 400
Genre: Young Adult
Reading Level of book: ?

Exposition (4-6 sentences) Rowan has been living in London, England all her life. After finishing school she has trouble figuring out what to do with herself. She talks to her brother sometimes to get advice from him. With his help she decides to become a nanny. Her mom does not like the idea of her going off to America, but she still lets her go there.

Confli
Geli
I am a big fan Kate Cann. Last summer she did not disappoint when I read her Spanish Holiday and Greacian Holiday. So naturaly I was excited to learn she had another holiday in the works. And she definitely did not disappoint me! I absoultly LOVE this one. I completely identifed with Rowan. It makes me just want to get out and go out on self finding adventure of my own.

This holiday is about a young girl in college (as usual) who isnt doing so well at home with her family so she decides to exscap
Elaine D
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
I knew this book wasn't going to have that much substance, that's why I picked it up. I think I bought it to read on the beach a few years ago, but never got around to it. I wanted something fast & easy just for fun this week, so I grabbed it off my shelf.

Really, this book could have been 2 books-- the first & second half were so night & day. I was pretty into the plot at the beginning when she was nannying that little girl, then it completely derailed & she ended up pursuing a
Ana-Claudia Magana
This book is so disjointed, and the girl's an idiot and I wish she displayed more power to herself in the end. The ending also sucks and seems to trail off and not make sense. Cann 's other books are way better than this one.
The Fat Girl
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on www.thefatgirl.co.uk

Kate Cann was one of my favourite Young Adult Fiction authors and I read quite a few of her books in my mid to late teenage years, so when I spotted Escape as one I had missed I was very excited to pick it up.

Escape by Kate Cann

Sharkie
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I see giving this one star not as it being the lowest I can possibly give, but for the time and effort this person put into writing this. Because it may be awful, but someone did write this, and that deserves credit given.

The plot was the worst bit. The plot was so thin, so boring, and just... god, it was awful. I almost gave up reading because I just couldn't pull myself through, but I've never not finished a book and that wasn't going to happen just because of a shitty plot.

Let's talk about t
Anna Wei
Oct 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all american girl fans
of all the books that i read, more than 75% of them have to be some sort of teenage drama, just so i dont go insane understanding language from some old dead guy that is WAY behnd my time.

here comes the first of my crazy obsessive book buying splurges.
like most of my favorite books, they always start off lonley, along the way they meet someone that easily lures their prey in with their charming smile and their sweet talking ways, dont worry, happens to everybody.

the boo focuses on our main chara
Jesse
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, ya
Rowan comes to the United States to be a nanny for a wealthy family only to find the mother a controlling pill, the father with issues of his own and the daughter suffering for it. Fortunately, a situation presents itself so that she can escape and the family can work on itself. Rowan finds herself living and working on a resort in California and gets caught in an interesting love triangle.

This is one of the better pieces of teen lit that I have found. If you're looking for an intellectual escap
Fell
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really good summer read. It was an easy read and gave me that summery feeling (which I really needed because it's been raining and cold lately)

I thought the main charachter were very funny. It was intresting to see how Rowan evolved and kind of got to know herself a little bit better as she faced the diffrent dilemmas.
The story went in a great speed, it wasn't too fast or too slow.
Although I was kind of annoyed of Rowans love interest at times, but their lovestory didn't take up that
Jessica
I can give California Holiday anywhere up to 2.5 stars, but that's about it. For the first part of the book, prior to leaving London, Rowan just seemed selfish, whiny and ungrateful for all she has. Once in Seattle, the parents of the little girl she nannies were such awful human beings. I hated the mother most, but nothing excuses the dad for always being drunk, absent and then hitting on Rowan. And finally, when she went to California, Landon was just all kinds of creep. I was sorely disappoin ...more
Brianna
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy summer read but by the end I just wanted it to end! Part 4 even felt like the author wanted to end writing but continued anyway. I liked the first half of the book better, Rowan leaving and her time with Flossy. I didn't understand the Landon appeal and by the end of the book I felt like she was not exactly better off than when she left. She spent half a summer obsessed with a boring, rude bloke.
Michelle Sallay
This was quite cute actually. It feels a little like two separate books, so I can see why it doesn't have the highest rating. I did enjoy it the entire book. If I want to read more of these I will have to buy them since this is the only one my library had, I can't decide if I want to buy any just yet...
Nicole
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA
This book was great, the beginning was funny and it started out on a high note. After Ro runs away from her 'nannying' job she meets a guy named Landon at the bus station. I didn't like Landon that much though. What person just invites someone off of the bus to come live with them??
Danielle Andrews
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book when i was around twelve and it is a bit of a sexual book but it also taught me that if you want something, to go and get it instead of wait for it to happen.
I think this is an amazing book that has a lot of lessons that you can learn from it.
Caroline Edink-Koppelaar
Kate Cann heeft het zo geschreven dat je het boek eigenlijk niet weg wil leggen tot je het uit hebt, tenminste, dat is mijn ervaring met haar boeken. Sommige zijn beter dan de anderen. Dit is daar een van.
Annice22
The first half of the book was really good but then it went downhill (really fast) with main character Rowan started obsessing (and instantly falling in love with) Landon, a guy she just met. Another insta-love plot that didn't work out.
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Boy. This book. It's not very good, but it's very intertaining. it's very long, but it's more like 3 books in one rather than one very long book. I didn't really lke a lot of it. But bits were okay.
Eli
Nov 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, fiction
Ridiculous. Rowan's unpleasant & the guy's a jerk...maybe they do belong together but I don't need to know about their story.
Katie-Lee
This book was pretty good.
Cheekygryphon
Aug 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. HORRIBLE! Kept waiting for it to get better. It just got worse and worse.
Brianna Madison
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Annaelle Allez L'OL!!!
the beginning is kinda boring
Kenz Wenz
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute, i love all of these books but they're kind of predictible.
Lisa Betteridge
Kate Cann manages to get the summer feeling over to the reader in all of her books. I have read three and they all seem to follow a similar story line but still very entertaining and romantic.
Eva
Jan 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was FUNNY!!!
Laurie Stoll
Jan 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book at all. The cover is very eye catching but it does not tell you this book is for young readers. Pre-teen to early teen.
Kathleen
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so cute!! I've read this 2 times and have picked it up again!
Tracey
Feb 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just cheezy bad.
Lindzz
Dec 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
CHEESY!!! I rarely hate books, but this book is horrible!
  • Maine Squeeze
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Snow Queen
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Crush du Jour (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Perfect Shot
  • Snow in Love
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Whitney (Making A Splash, #3)
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school
More about Kate Cann

Beach (4 books)
  • Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life
  • Grecian Holiday: Or, How I Turned Down the Best Possible Thing Only to Have the Time of My Life
  • Mediterranean Holiday: Or, How I Moved to a Tiny Island and Found the Love of My Life

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)