Start by marking “The Big Test: The Secret History of the American Meritocracy” as Want to Read:
The Big Test: The Secret History of the American Meritocracy

The Big Test: The Secret History of the American Meritocracy

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
What do we know about the history, origin, design, and purpose of the SAT? Who invented it, and why? How did it acquire such a prominent and lasting position in American education? The Big Test reveals the ideas, people, and politics behind a fifty-year-old utopian social experiment that changed this country. Combining vibrant storytelling, vivid portraiture, and thematic ...more
Published November 16th 2000 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Test

David
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Most nonfiction books are alike in that they present their compelling arguments in the first chapter, their conclusions and recommendations in the final chapter, and everything in-between can be skimmed to get a sense of the evidence used to get from point A to point B. BUT NOT SO THIS BOOK.

Lemann is quite possibly the most engaging nonfiction writer I've read, weaving a compelling and increasingly complex narrative that begins in the hallowed halls of the turn-of-the-century academic elite and
McKenzie
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
If I could, I would probably rate this one at 3.5 stars. I picked up The Big Test hoping to use it for my literature review for my thesis, and thus found the first third of this book absolutely compelling. Lemann explores the history of the SAT, moving from its origins in the military during WWI to its use as a scholarship tool by the Ivy Leagues to the founding of ETS to its dominance of the national collegiate admissions landscape. Fascinating little tidbits - like the story of Stanley Kaplan, ...more
Clif
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for the history of the Educational Testing Service, the makers of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) it provides an account of the experience of well meaning people in politics.

The Big Test takes us from the time when the elite of the "Episcopacy" presided over America from the East Coast. College was for the few and the rich who spent their time on campus having fun and making social connections rather than achieving much in academics. Getting rich was hardly a goal for a co
DoctorM
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always been good at standardised tests--- ACT, SAT, GRE, LSAT. Standardised tests have been good to me, too--- they got me into an Ivy, got me into grad school, got me into law school. Of course...despite the four post-grad degrees, I still make less than the receptionists at major firms...and I'm not teaching at a good university in NYC or working for a major NGO. So maybe all the ETS standardised tests didn't predict my level of success or social value after all. Hmmmm... So reading "The ...more
Patrick
Some really interesting stories, but ultimately I don't think Lemann pulls all the narrative strands together like he did in PROMISED LAND. But I'm glad I read it for two reasons --

1) I was interested to learn how we as a nation talked ourselves into using the SATs and ACTs as the primary determining factor on where (and which) people went to college...

2) Amazingly, a wealth of information in these pages on my favorite current business leader, Charlie Munger of Pasadaena. A completely unexpecte
Beckie
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
"The Big Test" is one of those books everyone should read. It proves how wonderful narrative nonfiction can be. It takes a seemingly small thing: the history of standardized admissions tests, and makes it about nearly everything that matters. Nicholas Lemann is a terrific writer, and one of the book's great strengths is the way he weaves together different people's stories to craft a broad and meaningful history.
Not only is "The Big Test" a great piece of writing, it raises important issues. How
Anna
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults, AP Language Students
On the summer that I took off for Iowa City, Iowa to write test questions for ACT, I also brought this book to read. I was on a mission to discover the bias of standardized tests, but I learned even more about educational opportunity and who really gets deemed eligible for an Ivy League education, affirmative action and California's Proposition 249 to eliminate it, as well as the insanity of the high-stakes Scholastic Aptitude Test. This is a must-read for any kid with S.A.T. anxiety.
Mark
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent history of the creation of the SAT and its forerunners, examining the theories of general intelligence testing, the social purposes of creating the exam and the growing political power of the Educational Testing Service.
Kathleen Diermier
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Forget where I heard about this book, probably NPR. Interesting and thought provoking; however, the author's style and his flexing of his vocabulary- especially in first half of book- made reading the book like walking through a muddy field in loose wellies.
Scott Ford
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
A book every educator should read - actually, ever legislation should have this on his or her required reading list as well.
Nick
Sep 15, 2007 rated it liked it
How the SAT is rigged... a fascinating look into the tests, its history and expansion.

I highlight fascinating, and not exciting in any visceral sense. Then again, it is about the SAT isn't it???
Sheila
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
This book explores the evolution of the U.S. "aristocracy" to a "meritocracy." The “aristocracy” being the wealthy WASP families, who for generations had attended the same elite prep schools and colleges (Harvard, Yale, Princeton..) Before WWII, there was no attempt to include intelligent non-elites into this mix and the book includes many anecdotes about how little these elites actually worked vs. played, and how unconcerned they were with obtaining employment after college, because they were e ...more
Keith McCormick
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am revisiting (in 2007) this book because my alma mater, an engineering school, is making the SAT optional. This book has always been a favorite. Specifically, I loved the series of Atlantic Monthly articles, of many years ago, on which it was based. When assembled as a book, it suffered in that the last portion of the book deals with California's proposition 209. As mentioned in the one of the media review, it doesn't really fit. The original history content covering the first 50 years of the ...more
Franc Guzman
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
You know, the problem with most non-fiction writing is that it's presented as cold, hard facts with no real effort to captivate the reader. That's the reason why most non-fiction books are read by experts in the field or students in the field the book is covering; the book doesn't have to fully entrance the reader in those situations, because the readers are already fully invested in their field and don't need to be convinced to keep reading as long as the information is new, reliable, and usefu ...more
Caroline Hendrie
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
I've read lots of books on education and its role in society, but this was one of the best. It came out 15 years ago but is more relevant today than ever. That's especially true following the College Board's announced redesign of the SAT and the coming debut of new tests tied to Common Core State Standards.

The book is shot through with thought-provokding social analysis. But it is also peopled with compelling characters whose stories range over decades, from Cambridge to California and parts in
Mike Horne
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
The first half of this book is worth 4 or 5 stars (5 for me because I read the US AP tests every summer). The history of ETS is pretty fascinating. The book then lands in California's Proposition 409 story and does not end strong.

He argues that American meritocracy (started in the early part of the 20th century) sought to create a new elite based not on family but intelligence (or at least academic success). This elite would become Jefferson's natural aristocracy who would serve society. The SA
Frank Frag
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an excellent account of how the American education system became reliant on the SAT, insofar as it goes. Although Lemann gives a fairly accurate picture of the many inroads and crossroads that were followed to develop the SAT, he unfortunately felt he had to focus on a group of individuals, but specifically, Molly, the successful lawyer - to prove a point he never makes.

It is fairly apparent that he wants us to see how important the SAT was and is in the making of success for our nation
Jana
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015, phd, eol571
I chose to read this for my critical book review assignment in my Foundations of Higher Education course. The book started out as an Atlantic article and was expanded into a full-length book after the original article's publication. (Of course it did - what is more educated upper- and middle-class white people bait than discussing the merits of a particular aspect of higher education?)

Even though this book was published in 1999, it didn't seem that old or dated in its approach to the history of
Butch Hamilton
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are in education, this is a must read. Testing is not only a buzzword, but a way of everyday life. While it is important and a factor in education, it has become too much of an important factor. When used correctly, testing is indeed a valuable component of learning. With phrases like "high stakes testing" and "teaching to the test," I feel like getting sick. Numbers - SAT, ACT, AP - tell a good story but not the entire story.
anne
Mar 21, 2013 added it
Shelves: education, history
Really interesting history, but I could have used less personal detail, more widespread analysis. And then recommendations in the afterword surprised me (not in a good way) given the nuanced discussions previously. Still, Lemann's basic points - that our idea of "meritocracy" is fundamentally broken, that education should not be used as a reward that confers special privileges, and that the perpetuation of so-called "aptitude testing" is a serious problem - are well taken.
Dea Conrad-curry
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was historically intriguing. Whatever negative thoughts you may have had about standardized tests are true. They were initially designed to limit who could attend Ivy League schools. ACT came about because a professor at the University of Iowa thought Midwesterners were being shut out of higher ed. This book is carefully documented, names names, and tells of closed door deals that made great profit for our "not for profit" testing companies.
J.C.
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a stellar history of the development of gatekeeper educational testing in the US. Lemann presents with great clarity the facts behind a major factor, used by elite universities, of sifting admission candidates. Understanding this background has helped me quite a lot in formulating recommendations I am readying for a presentation in my professional capacity.
Christina
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Page-turning history of standardized testing in the U.S. Really good background on how we got where we are today with the SAT and ACT + helpful in understanding the current battles between the two test publishers.
Amanda
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I've been wanting to read this for a long time, but only now got the chance. Very deliberate pace. Have to be committed, but found it really interesting especially in light of my own educational journey.
James
Jun 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is most certainly the worst book I've read this year.
The narrative is scattered and unconvincing.

It's really not worth writing much about.
Sarah Hagan
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Extremely indepth look at the American meritocracy. This book really gave me a lot to think about. I did have some trouble keeping up with all the people involved, though.
Diana
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I read selected excerpts for a course. Recommended if you want to diffuse some of the smoke around ETS.
Ilib4kids
Sep 23, 2013 marked it as to-read
371.260973 LEM
Tj Thomas
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really like the exploration of meritocracy in America, but the history at times seemed too scattered (with too many details) and the accuracy of it, other than the big picture, is questionable.
Beth
Jul 20, 2008 is currently reading it
reading this so I can have something to talk about with Josh

• The Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton
  • The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges -- and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates
  • More Powerful Than Dynamite: Radicals, Plutocrats, Progressives, and New York's Year of Anarchy
  • Creating a Class: College Admissions and the Education of Elites
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Liquidated: An Ethnography of Wall Street
  • The Rise of the Meritocracy
  • The Conscience of the Eye: The Design and Social Life of Cities
  • This Is Not A Test: A New Narrative on Race, Class, and Education
  • Klansville, U.S.A.: The Rise and Fall of the Civil Rights-Era Ku Klux Klan
  • A History of American Higher Education
  • Patience and Fortitude: Power, Real Estate, and the Fight to Save a Public Library
  • Fear Itself: The New Deal and the Origins of Our Time
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Cultivating Humanity: A Classical Defense of Reform in Liberal Education

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99