Start by marking “The Accidental Apprentice (Wilderlore, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Apprentice (Wilderlore, #1)

The Accidental Apprentice

(Wilderlore #1)

A boy who accidentally bonds with a magical Beast must set off on an adventure in the mysterious Woods in this whimsical and cheeky middle grade fantasy debut—perfect for fans of Nevermoor and How to Train Your Dragon.

The last thing Barclay Thorne ever wanted was an adventure.

Thankfully, as an apprentice to the town’s mushroom farmer, Barclay need only work hard and follow
Hardcover
Expected publication: March 30th 2021 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Apprentice

Start your review of The Accidental Apprentice (Wilderlore, #1)
Holly
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
for those of you looking to fill a Harry Potter-shaped hole in your life, THIS IS IT. I've never read something to quite match that series yet. it has lovable, root-able characters, fascinating beasts, a thrilling adventure, and a new world to lose yourself in. The Accidental Apprentice is like a mashup of HP, How to Train Your Dragon, Fairy Tail, and Pokemon. it's like all the fantasy I've loved all my life. I would take DOZENS of books about these Lore Keepers! ...more
delaney
**Thank you RivetedLit and Simon & Schuster for hosting a giveaway for the ARC! :)

CUTE! Wilderlore is just what you would expect from a middle-grade: quirky characters, imaginative world, and a light-hearted plot that keeps moving.

I think anyone within the target audience range will be sure to enjoy this How to Train Your Dragon meets Pokemon-esque novel featuring mythical creatures, not just dragons, and a magic community.

The story’s pacing is well thought out with our main character, Barclay
Amanda
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An utter delight! I am delighted and I cannot wait to have this on my shelf! Recalls the joys of the books I grew up reading, with new magic and fresh twists thrown in. Plus, a world you want to live in, even if it means being a pooper scooper.
Gretal
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was great fun! I eagerly look forward to the next book.
Tonja Drecker
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Finally, a middle grade fantasy, which lets imagination gallop free while facing beasts, defeating all odds and simply having a good time.

Barclay is a mushroom farming apprentice—the mushroom farming apprentice. He's determined to become the best mushroom farmer in his town, one in which rules are very important and keep any excitement at bay. While searching for a certain mushroom, the unthinkable happens, and Barclay finds himself breaking two rules: he's deep in the forest and facing a Lore.
Kate Waggoner
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
In Dullshire there are rules. No running. No getting dirty. No going into the woods. And, absolutely no lore (magic). Barclay, as an orphan, has to work hard but is content with his position as a mushroom farmer's apprentice and his life in Dullshire. Things change when he's searching for a mushroom and ends up deep within the woods. Barclay has a run in with a beast. Rather than being killed, the beast bonds with him making him a lore keeper. Barclay returns to Dullshire hoping to keep his secr ...more
Avery Elise
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, physical-book
5/5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Accidental Apprentice was such an amazing book full of whimsical charm. The theme was of the novel really profound, and you could see it all throughout the book. The world building was so, so amazing! I felt like I was there with all of the characters. Sycomore is described perfectly, and the woods are so full of imagery. It's got amazing elements targeted at animal lovers and fantasy lovers, plus it's got a reluctant hero, a confident heroin and wonderful friendships. Amand

Kid Lit Reviews
The Accidental Apprentice is an amazing read (I read it twice just for fun and can’t wait for the next edition). Kids who like fantasy worlds will thoroughly be delighted with the worlds Ms. Foody created.
First, is Barclay’s childhood home in Dullshire, a place where rules rein and those who do not follow the rules are ostracized—at best. Barclay is an orphan with no one to raise him or even guide him. All of Dullshire looks down upon “Barclay-the-orphan.” Still, Dullshire is the only home Ba
Jill
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Netgalley for review~.

3.5 ish stars rounded up.

I thought this was a pretty fun fantasy adventure. Younger me would have liked it very much. If you like Pokemon and the idea of monster collecting you’ll be right at home. (At least what I know of the Pokemon plot.) There’s many similarities to the Naruto story line as well, especially in regard to the exam and the hero’s backstory, although the mc’s personality is a polar opposite to Naruto’s.

I was surprised by one of th
S Tondra
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Accidental Apprentice is a magical adventure with a boy finding where he belongs and what friendship really means. I think readers grades 4-6 will enjoy following Barclay and learning all about the Woods and magical creatures that become companions. I am excited that this is the first story in the series and I'm looking forward to reading more about Barclay and his new friends adventures. I also wanted to mention that I really like the cover art as well.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publis
perfectlyamberb
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was such a charming read. Amanda Foody really takes the reader on a journey full of whimsy and delight. The world she has created is so atmospheric. I felt like I was really in Sycomore exploring the world of enchanting beasts. I loved all the characters in this book, especially Barclay. Watching him grow from a serious lore hating mushroom apprentice to a person who embraces their flaws, forgives the past and accepts lore was such a pleasure. There are some twists and turns in this bo ...more
Kimmy’s books journey
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Omg!!!! I want the sequel now please! I want more! It was amaze balls..... oh I loved it, even suggested it to my friends and one of them already preordered it! I will add it to my collection as well.. Nevermoor, HP, Pokemon or Animal totem vibes... it’s a mix of everything I love! Thank you Netgalley for this opportunity and to the publisher as well! I’m gonna go post this in my book clubs and tell everyone to buy it hihi
Nic Cho
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What an adventure, it was exciting, humorous, and full of wonder. The introduction of Lore (magic) and all the cool things it does was fun to read about. The growth of Barclay from beginning to end was a treat to read as he begins to find and acknowledge his true wild self. There were a few twists and surprises as well which makes me excited for the next book to learn more about Lore Keepers, Beasts, the Guild, and all the characters.
Zoe
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-release
This was a delightful middle grade read! It was engaging, fun, and just as much of an adventure as you’d expect it to be.
Zoe Sivak

• City of the Plague God
  • The Last Black Unicorn
  • In Deeper Waters
  • Nocturnal
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • The Complete Maus
  • The Bluest Eye
  • The Last Shadow Warrior
  • Beloved
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After a double life as an accountant preparing taxes for multinational corporations, she now spends her free time brewing and fermenting foods much more easily obtained at her local grocery store. She lives in Boston, MA with a hoard of books guarded by the most vicious of feline companions, Jelly Bean.

She is the auth

Wilderlore (2 books)
  • Untitled (Wilderlore, #2)