Start by marking “Letters from the Light” as Want to Read:
Letters from the Light

Letters from the Light

In a future Australia, where light is only for the powerful and the poor struggle in darkness, Sam grew up praying for a way out. Living as the only sighted boy in a town of blind workers was tough. Discovering it didn't have to be that way was tougher.

Sam is just one of the five desperate people, each from vastly different societies in a deeply divided land, who must
Published December 15th 2019 by Inspired Quill

To ask other readers questions about Letters from the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from the Light

Start your review of Letters from the Light
Caroline Noe
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A craft, filled with the sleeping, travels through space on a rescue mission. A girl almost drowns in a flood. A boy lives in perpetual darkness, surrounded by the blind, whilst a privileged few party in the light, oblivious to the suffering around them. Politics and faith are not what they seem in Calopa's extraordinary science fiction novel, taking these and many more disparate strands and weaving an intricate, mysterious plot that twists and turns in the style of a thriller. Characters grow, ...more
Julia Blake
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting and imaginative read this was. A long-time fan of sci-fi, I don’t tend to read much of it now and this novel was a timely reminder of just how much I enjoy it. The world-building was superb, and straightaway we are introduced to a strange and dark land which sounds like Australia, but you quickly realise is very far from the land Down Under we know and love.

In the very beginning, the characters are thrown at you in a scattergun effect and the years jump by at a light-speed
Di Reyliner
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Letters from the Light is a fast-paced, feminist allegory that make us question the stark barriers between humankind and humanity, the path to Illumination and the realm of Darkness and the hard choices between loyalty, survival and morality. It's setting is an intricate tapestry, weaving together subterranean settlements, pockets of futuristic landscapes and a cosmos traversed by mankind. The characters overcome various barriers of class, disability and gender-based oppression as they come ...more
Dorothy Winsor
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is set in a dystopian future Australia in which most people live in literal darkness and light is reserved as a privilege for the powerful. That’s a great premise that serves as a subtle comment on our current ecological uncertainty. The book has a large cast and a packed plot that sometimes left me scrambling to keep up. There are truly hateful villains and some valiant, clever rebels to cheer for. If you’re looking for a story you haven’t seen a dozen times before, this is it.
Natasha O'Connor
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Letters from the Light is an awesome, thought-provoking book and a fascinating read with an ending I never saw coming. There were more twists and turns than mountain road, and I even yelled at it at one point. Shel makes you love, and hate, her cast of characters in equal measure, and she keeps you guessing right up until the end. Highly recommend it.
Pat Eroh
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good dystopian read with a great message. We are alike and different and mutual respect is paramount. This book grabbed me and kept me reading throughout.

Harris Siladi
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this dystopian story! I don't want to give anything away, but it's a must-read!
Sandra Bartelt
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read.
Kerrie Davis
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked "Letters from the Light" very much. It was an action-packed story with a large, diverse cast of characters. The world-building was extensive, unique, and described in beautiful detail. The characters, particularly Sam and Kohl, were brilliantly portrayed. My only minor gripe with the novel was that there were too many characters, sometimes at the expense of Sam and Kohl. However, I accept that I deviate from popular taste in preferring a small number of POV characters. A great read. I’m ...more
Melissa Siladi
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read from start to finish! Letters To The light is a captivating story with many twists and turns that both delighted and surprised me! While being set in an other-worldly place, the characters are totally relatable and the narrative stirring and inciteful. This novel has definitely left me looking forward to reading more works by Shel Calopa.
Sue-ellen Pashley
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Letters from the Light is a engaging debut novel for Australian author, Calopa. The building of her dystopian world creates an great tapestry for a strong storyline and interesting characters, including the AIs (which I really loved the humans interaction with), that kept me turning the pages. I'll definitely be looking for other stories for this author. Great read :-)
Mark
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
ONE of the perks of being published with Inspired Quill (IQ) is the free access it grants us to the works of our fellow authors, so when Shel Calopa's Letters from the Light hit the digital shelves, I was sufficiently intrigued to snap up a Kindle copy all to myself.

Consider that a necessary disclosure for the sake of transparency, then: yes, I'm also an IQ author, and, yes, I took advantage of a freebie for my reading pleasures, but that's as far as it goes. No favours, or indeed favouritism,
Anne Goodwin
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Letters from the Light is an Australian sci-fi fantasy adventure, in a vivid world where only the elite have access to light. While some toil underground in darkness, blinded in infancy so they won’t stray, royalty parties above ground. While the Rats plot revolution, a wide cast of characters tease the reader as allies become enemies, and enemies friends. Expect lots of alternative world building, jeopardy, nods to diversity and touches of humour: I particularly liked the notion of a verdant ...more
Tami
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read! Fast paced great book. I received my copy from voracious readers for my review
Harald Bartelt
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The struggle between the have and have-nots in a future Australia is well presented and comes to a unexpected solution. An Interesting subject and book.
Sarai Lawson
Jan 13, 2020
Rachel Paterson
Jan 05, 2020
Michael
Nov 30, 2019
Shel Calopa
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marcus Turner
Lindsey
Jan 05, 2020
Natalie Rix
Jan 07, 2020

• The Rise (Drowned Earth, #1)
  • Shards of Silver (Drowned Earth, #0)
  • Fire Over Troubled Water (Drowned Earth, #2)
  • A Thousand Faces
  • Tegen Hunt (Tegens, #4)
  • I Deserve to Feel
  • The Missing Lamb
  • Malicious Mates
  • The Big Waste: A Post-Apocalyptic Adventure (After-Skirmish Book 1)
  • Chaining Daisy (The Perennials, #2)
  • Deyn's Promise