Start by marking “Web Development with Node and Express: Leveraging the JavaScript Stack” as Want to Read:
Web Development with Node and Express: Leveraging the JavaScript Stack

Web Development with Node and Express: Leveraging the JavaScript Stack

Build dynamic web applications with Express, a key component of the Node/JavaScript development stack. In this updated edition, author Ethan Brown teaches you Express fundamentals by walking you through the development of an example application. This hands-on guide covers everything from server-side rendering to API development suitable for usein single-page apps (SPAs).

Published November 13th 2019 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2014)

Start your review of Web Development with Node and Express: Leveraging the JavaScript Stack
Dan
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros:
- great dev setup
- good overview of supporting tools (grunt, jshint)
- content clearly explained

Cons:
- examples not current
- challenging to implement without source
- chapter on restructuring code unclear

This was a great intro to the express, but suffered from the problems listed above. The details about dev methodology and how to drive TDD were solid, but those concepts weren't carried forward consistently-- probably in the issue of time. The clear examples of how to use grunt to drive
Matthew
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greatest strength of this book is that the authorEthan Browncovers a lot of Node and Express topics.

That being said, there are a few things that could have been improved:

- Front-end assets are managed manually instead of using something like Bower.
- The code examples in the book are incomplete. You'll need to review the GitHub repository to find what's missing. Chapter 7 and 8 seem to be where things started to diverge, but I didn't confirm this. For example, the code in the repository
Justin Smith
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I would've read this book before I took 462 I would of made a 100 in that class. Everything is here. Also it makes me feel really bad about some of the work my team did seeing how easy it is to do some of this stuff.
atom_box Evan G
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book a lot.
As you follow along with building the site, the code gets
increasingly professional. I'm skipping around a bit, so am currently in Brown's Chapter 13, building the the Mongo.db part.
Since a picture is worth more than words, here is a picture of the structure of your project repository, if you complete all of the chapters of Brown's book:
├── README.md
│   ├── meadowlark.js
│   ├──
PNJ  Services
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to grow your business and become to brand in a complex online market place globally? Try our E-Commerce web development services, I am sure, you will be 100% satisfied. PNJ Sharptech is a website development company in India that offers a full range of web application services like custom software development service, application modernization services. We believe that an effective web application is a consequence of a strong and concrete marketing strategy.

Humphrey Ogwal
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great introduction to NodeJS for a complete newbie
Scott
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starts out strong by introducing some Node fundamentals in clear tutorial format. Once getting into Express, however, quickly begins to meander into a wide range of off-topic scaffolding and testing suggestions. At some point less than a third into the book, the tutorial approach devolves into mere listings of code where it is not clear if the intention is to continue to build out the tutorial application or merely to provide some reference examples. At several points, the tutorial code simply ...more
Dominic Myers
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying it a lot though Handlebars aren't my cup-of-tea as I prefer jade really. I'm also slightly sad that there's no git repo as yet (13/05/2014) as there's no decent images and I ended up getting stuck putting a picture of Fallon Rogers from the BBCs The Archers as she was on my mind when I started reading it as she's was busy flirting with the nice young Policeman from the series. Ahh well!
Yanick Champoux
The book is aimed at newcomers. If you never developed a web application, it's a good resource/tutorial that touches all aspects of the project. If you are familiar with other web frameworks, either in JavaScript or any other languages, it might feel a mite light.
Eder Sanchez
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creí que sería mas largo de lo que en realidad es. Ya está un poquito desactualizado pero nada que no se resuelva con google.
Ben
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, own, development
Lots of typos in this first edition, but Web Development with Node & Express provides great coverage of full stack web development with Node.js.
Ahmed Elbohoty

• The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Machine Learning
  • Apache Spark Scala Interview Questions
  • Apache Spark Scala Interview Questions: Shyam Mallesh
  • Apache Spark 2.x for Java Developers: Explore big data at scale using Apache Spark 2.x Java APIs
  • Clean Code Summary: Agile Software Craftmanship Guidelines - Developer Deconstructed
  • Python: Deeper Insights into Machine Learning
  • Python Machine Learning
  • Instant Heat Maps in R: How-To
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • The Object-Oriented Thought Process
  • The Rails 5 Way
  • OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808
  • World War Two: History in an Hour
  • The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ethan Brown is the Director of Engineering at Pop Art, where he is responsible for the company's technical roadmap, understanding technology horizons, and leading a team of software engineers. He is the author of two O'Reilly Media titles, Learning JavaScript, 3rd Edition, and Web Development With Node and Express. His undergraduate work was in mathematics and computer science, and he has a broad ...more

News & Interviews