Start by marking “Effective TypeScript: 62 Specific Ways to Improve Your TypeScript” as Want to Read:
Effective TypeScript: 62 Specific Ways to Improve Your TypeScript

Effective TypeScript: 62 Specific Ways to Improve Your TypeScript

TypeScript is a typed superset of JavaScript with the potential to solve many of the headaches for which JavaScript is famous. But TypeScript has a learning curve of its own, and understanding how to use it effectively can take time. This book guides you through 62 specific ways to improve your use of TypeScript.

Author Dan Vanderkam, a principal software engineer at Sidewa

Published October 17th 2019 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Effective TypeScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective TypeScript

Start your review of Effective TypeScript: 62 Specific Ways to Improve Your TypeScript
Rob
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a long-time JavaScript developer, but as someone relatively new to TypeScript, this book was the right thing at the right time for me. I didn’t need an introductory-level book — TS being a superset of JS, after all, and syntax being something you can muddle through — but what I DID need was something that spoke to what was (1) idiomatic and (2) could shine a light on some of TS’s… idiosyncrasies.

This book helped me better frame my thinking around the so-called “type space” vs. the runtime cod
Matěj
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book structured into several areas, each presents you with a series of specific tips (the autor has listed the areas and tips on his GitHub). It assumes reasonable knowledge of both modern JS and TS. It definitely isn't a comprehensive intro to TS.

It dedicates about 1-4 pages to each tip, including motivation and detailed explanation with code samples. The writing is easy to understand and avoids any detours/asides and filler; all the code samples are clear and compact (none go past half-pag
John
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author posted about this book on reddit, and it looked good so I bought a copy straight away. Nice job, Dan!

The book is mostly very good. I've been using TypeScript for 3 years now, so it mostly wasn't so new to me, but it did clarify a lot of the things I knew. In particular, as I haven't read a whole lot of TypeScript code, the convention of using discriminated unions was new to me, and I hadn't really understood how well TypeScript supports it.

I did think the description of transitive dep
Lukasz
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I use Typescript for few years already and I find this book really great if you have some experience with TS.

It will be rather poor choice for super beginners (however might be ok if you migrate from C# and you learn it in parallel with JS), but TS users can find a lot of understanding of TS best practices

It has nice structure of "pro tips" - you can skip part which is obvious to you.

Also it has a chapter how to migrate legacy codebase to TS.

It definitely helped me and I used some of the protips
TK
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I come from a place that I'm pretty familiar with TypeScript before reading this book. But it was a great experience learning more about this language in depth.

The first chapter was awesome in a way that the book shows more about language than simply about the syntax. It talks about the relationship between JavaScript and TypeScript, how does the structural typing works, the differences between the type and value spaces.

The second chapter talks more about how TypeScript can improve the developer
Mary
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read the introduction and that probably was our limit. But I am fond of the author and very proud of his work and thus am rating this book five stars.
Thomas
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I thought I knew a lot about TypeScript already, but this book has some tips I did not know before and not readily found on the internet.
Glen
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the format. The short sections provided illustrating examples and just enough detail. Every time I put the book down, I felt like I had learned something I could apply immediately.
Stefan Kanev
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of 62 nuggets of information about TypeScript (advices, suggestions, clarifications, best practices, etc.). It’s targeted at someone who already knows TypeScript and wants to learn more.

I absolutely love it. It explained a couple of things I didn’t understand and generally has good advice.

It’s a great second TypeScript book.
Jesus
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Interesante libro con muchas cosas que no conocía de Typescript. Muchas veces empezamos a tocar tecnologías que no conocemos y vamos aprendiendo sobre la marcha (haciendo mal las cosas) y este libro ha un vistazo rápido pero profundo de lo que Typescript tiene a tu disposición
Theofanis Despoudis
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
A nice book for refreshing your knowledge in Typescript. It's not exceptional but it's does it's job. ...more
Rafael Gonzaga
Jan 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Most of part of the book is useful information, however, this information is already well known by developers who work with typescript.
Tatiana Shepeleva
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A handbook with examples to understand the twists of TS
Trung
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finally, finish this fantastic book after a few months. I think this kind of book need times to digest and apply to my day-to-day task. An excellent resource for TypeScript!
Userbit
Travis
Jan 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Clean Architecture
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • 99 Bottles of OOP
  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • The Effective Engineer: How to Leverage Your Efforts In Software Engineering to Make a Disproportionate and Meaningful Impact
  • Permanent Record

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »