Start by marking “Hellboy: The Bones of Giants” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: The Bones of Giants

Hellboy: The Bones of Giants (Hellboy Novels #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  510 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Hellboy is the world's greatest paranormal detective. But the one mystery he's never solved is the mystery of his own origin. Red-skinned, pointy-tailed and horned, he stands out in a crowd. But did he come from hell to damn us or to save us?
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 27th 2004 by Pocket Star (first published December 2nd 1997)

Quentin Wallace
This Hellboy novel dealt with Norse mythology, and wasn't bad. I actually liked the previous Helloby novel, the Lost Army, better, but this one was entertaining as well. Without giving away too much, Hellboy ends up with the hammer of Thor and has to stop an invasion of creatures of myth from overrunning the Earth (that happens all the time time to him it seems.)

It's mostly action with a touch of horror, similar to most Hellboy books, and guest stars Abe Sapien. Contains illustrations by Mike Mi
Andrew
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was one of those strange series of coincidences that all led to one book. I have seen the name Christopher Golden mentioned a number of times, I have enjoyed the films and graphic novels of Hellboy and on a recent trip out to a massive second hand book store I came across this title and it all seemed to fit.
So what about the book - well surprisingly it reads just as you would expect - now this may not seem strange but in my experience it is quite a feat. Why well it may be just me but
Brandon St Mark
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: darkhorse, 2017-reads
So far, the Hellboy novels haven't been as good as the comics are. I think this was oddly timed because I had just recently read Neil Gaimen's Norse Mythology, so I just am a little burnt out on that kinda stuff now (I've never been that big on mythology anyway). I think the first Hellboy novel was better, though this was by no means bad. Just not the best time for me to have read it.
Seth T.
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hellboy aficionados only
I've been a fan of Hellboy pretty much since its inception - or at least since before his first book was published. Mike Mignola has create a gruff-but-lovable character and a lovably gruff cast. There are currently nine graphic collections (Hellboy found initial publication in serially released chapters in comic book form) exploring his world and investigations into myth, folklore, and the paranormal. Mignola's art perfects Hellboy's mood and the flow of action and thought throughout each sto ...more
Ignacio Andrés
El groso de la historia me gusto, bastante a decir verdad, sin embargo, el climax del libro fue bastante probre y decadente, a mi parecer.
Martin Pinkerton
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
BLUFF: Much better than the first one. The story was interesting and left me eager to see how it ended. Unlike the first one that felt like a comic book in book form, this was a complete story and had better layers of complexity. I really enjoyed it.

Hellboy again. I know what your saying "Man, does this guy read anything not childish or nerdy?" and that's just rude, don't make me put down this Encyclopedia Brown book and give you a harsh talking to. (Yes I just ended that sentence in a prepositi
DeCarabas
¡Hellboy portando a Mjölnir!

Esta no es ni de lejos la mejor historia del hermano Rojo, pero es divertida; tiene a Abe Sapien ligando (que es lo que hacen estos días los anfibios antropomorficos), tiene gigantes nórdicos undead, tiene personajes mitológicos caminando por las calles (incluidos los enanos forjadores de Mjölnir, Eitri y Brokkr repartiendo trancazos), y me trae de regreso esa sensación de los Expedientes Secretos X en los noventa, donde por una parte se tiene que proteger al mundo de
Erik Waiss
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read a couple years ago. A very interesting take on the big red guy. I rather enjoyed allowing my brain to paint the pictures of what happened in this book, and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I would certainly suggest it for anybody who has enjoyed the comics pre-BPRD split.
Matthew
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
There is an issue I have run into with this book that sort of bugs me. It is a minor problem with the consistency of the story in the universe the story takes place. Specifically, how real people may or may not react to a situation compared to the characters in this story. What I’m getting at is sometimes reading the inability for characters to believe the improbable, despite being face to face with the impossible. An example being that one character, a Swedish government agent named Klar, is to ...more
Wing Kee
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I novelized HB story is a funny thing, it's got to have give you the story without the visuals and also because of the long story nature of it, sustain a story through 300+ pages which is way longer than your average 5 issue arc. I really liked enjoyed Golden's first book (The Lost Army) so how does this one fare?

World: The first thing that this book hooked me was the world building, not only the Norse setting with all the Gods and Ragnarok and Thor's hammer, but also the tie-in to the Mignolave
Willow Redd
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Hellboy novel I read. Saw it in the comic book store while browsing other Hellboy related products, read the summary, and was in. Plus, look at that cover! Hellboy holding what looks to be Thor's hammer, Mjolnir (spelled Mjollnir here). How could you not be intrigued? So, we have Hellboy and Norse mythology, what a combination!

And, it did not disappoint. A massive corpse is discovered in the Arctic Circle, holding a massive hammer that is continuously being struck by lightning
Craig
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Hellboy prose novel, following The Lost Army, which was also written by Golden. I believe I prefer the first by a narrow margin, but this is still a very good one. It features Norse mythology (hmmm... the hammer of Thor's here... could you call it an alternate Marvel crossover? nah, never mind...), and the BPRD cast flourishes in the stark frozen North environment. The book is quite nicely illustrated by Mike Mignola.
Juliezs
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
wow a graphic novel, that is actually more novel than graphic. Not the best written story ever, but I'm a sucker for anything and everything Hellboy. The Norse mythology stuff is great too, always interesting to see that in a current novel. My husband and son keep stealing this from me, so even though it is quite short I haven't gotten more than halfway through it. Gotta steal it back and find out how it ends.
Nonethousand Oberrhein
Hand and Hammer
From the pages of the famous comic book series, the big red guy with the rocky hand tackles a quite famous Norse legend concerning a “special” hammer… As in the comics, legend and action-packed adventure will keep the reader glued to the book, through pages filled up with bizarre visions and encounters. Mignola’s illustrations add the right tone to Golden’s novel, while avoiding stealing the spotlight.
Xavi Marturet
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: novela
Empecé a leer la edición traducida al español, pero la letra es ridículamente pequeña y los fallos de traducción me rompían la coherencia de lo que iba leyendo.

Ya con la edición en inglés, he descubierto una novela interesante, pero sin la fuerza de la primera que hizo Golden. El final es muy sencillo y abrupto y en el desarrollo hay demasiada paja.

Da la sensación que, al finalizar la historia, quedan cabos sueltos.
Henrietta H
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves SF, Hellboy, and adventure
Recommended to Henrietta by: Shane Stewart
When I first began reading this book I had it in my head it would be a "fandom" piece without an awful lot of substance. I was wrong. The writer, Christopher Golden, has excellent writing skills; his descriptions are remarkable and his settings quite accurate. This book is one I highly recommend for a good read.
Arlomisty
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pulp-genre
I love the Hellboy graphic novels and love the two movies for what they are... so I decided to try out one of the novels I saw on amazon.com... it was pretty entertaining. I could totally imagine everything like it was one of the movies... (in fact this one would make a great movie... with ancient asgardian giants and monsters). I would only recommend this if you are a Hellboy fan... a fun read!
Daniel
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book at all. Kind of a nice read, with very excellent attention to mood. I didn't think I'd care much about this book, and really only borrowed it from the library for the sake of "sampling" it, but the story and the mythology drew me in. ★★★ is more fair, because it truly is well-written. ...more
Alexander Lucero
This book was okay.
Kione
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
And this better be the 4th movie!
Golden and Mignola creates high adventure from myth and folklore. And take you for a ride. Have fun.
Victoria
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best of all of the Hellboy books.
Tyler
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mike-mignola
One of the best Hellboy stories of all time. More on my review here: http://mignolaverse.co/post/822605501...
Terry Jackson
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
excellent read, different take on vampires and demons.
Victoria
Η μετάφραση τα είχε τα θεματάκια της αλλά για light read την έκανε τη δουλειά του.
Man Solo
May 22, 2011 marked it as to-read
a must read
Joshua Mcdonald
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
hellboy be awsome.
Charley
Sep 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Pretty entertaining, like reading a sci-fi / fantasy movie, but with more narrative.
Dony Grayman
Cuarto y último libro de prosa de Hellboy publicado en castellano a la fecha. Colección Brainstorming #15.
Franz Christopher
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chris Golden writes some of the Best Hellboy I have read, this adventure takes you on a very cold and chilling adventure, plus it has the hammer of Thor! What else could you ask for?
Mitchell
Mar 05, 2012
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Hellboy: The God Machine
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • Hellboy: The Companion
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden

Hellboy Novels (10 books)
  • Hellboy: The Lost Army
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Hellboy: The Ice Wolves

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)