Start by marking “Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir

Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Bestselling author and poet Calvin Miller turns his hand to the most moving story of all - his own. The reader is taken through a myriad of experiences of a young man coming of age in mid-20th century America. Following his life into college, seminary, a small local church and eventually to a new life as an author and professor, the memoir touches on those points that make ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Life Is Mostly Edges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Is Mostly Edges

Brian
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, biography
This book was extremely well written, poetic, charming, funny, sad, informative, and freeing to many of the burdensome thoughts I've had about the church and its people. This book is an autobiographical account of Calvin Millers life from his youngest days in the onset of the depression until recent. I found many things to laugh about, a few things to tear up about and many things to think about. He had a very hard life in many ways, and a very satisfying life in many other ways but most importa ...more
Donovan Martin
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I started this just after Christmas. I had the chance to meet Calvin Miller and hear him read a little from this book. His ability to craft a line is amazing. Such a great story teller. I really appreciate this book since he recalls not the mere details of his life but he tries to give an evaluation of what he learned and how it impacted who he became.
Should people write memoirs? If you are Calvin Miller, yes. (or this Calvin Miller). It is a retelling of life through the lens of hope. Perhaps
John
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best memoirs I've read. Miller is a wordsmith and a master storyteller--and he displays both admirably in this moving, funny, sarcastic, deeply reflective, frank and honest peek into his heart and mind. It was spiritually moving; at times theologically eyebrow-raising. Yet again and again there was so much that put words to what I've felt and I found myself being freed from the bondage of reflection that had yet to find words. I was many times put in touch with some of my own feelings ...more
Craig
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent memoir from one of the church's great modern wordsmiths, pastor/professor/poet/author Calvin Miller. From his impoverished childhood in 1940s Oklahoma to a faculty position at the largest seminary in the world, Miller's life has been quite a ride. He takes us along for the journey with unflinching honesty and frequent, well-crafted humor.

Too many times when I read memoirs of esteemed Christian leaders, I walk away thinking, "What a great man that guy is." Because of Miller's authentic
Jeremy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good memoir of long-time pastor in Omaha. Creative writing at its best. Laughed out loud, thought deeply, considered my own life. Worth your time.
Anita Howard
Great Memoir by wonderful writer

I am trying to decide how much of my love for this book is because I can relate to his life of ministry. No doubt I could relate to some of his struggles in that area. But, I also loved his openness and honesty about his growing up years with the respect to those struggles and hardships. His thoughts on marriage and love have changed my attitudes. Mostly, I love that he is an amazing wordsmith. When you read Calvin Miller, you think, "I wish I had said that!" I hi
Eric Black
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Miller's late writings are a real delight. He let his hair down, what hair he had, and simply wrote what was on his mind, opinions be damned. Life is Mostly Edges falls in this category. In several places, Miller leaves small deposits of profound wisdom, which means you have to read the whole thing. His experience at Southwestern was true and tragic. The last chapter is worth the book.
Dottie Parish
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful autobiographical account of Calvin Miller's life. It is beautifully written, with charming stories and profound ideas about the Christian faith and the church from a down-to-earth pastor.
Bryan
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Dr. Miller is a living legend. His life is one that can never be copied but pastors and writers should strive to be like him. This book tells about his extraordinary life and ministry. I especially like the top paragraph of page 357.
Diana Latham
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved! Dr. Miller's humor, wit, love of The Body and God are evidenced through his life. Encouraging and fun to read. Great man.
Steve
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny, witty, insightful, from a man who knew how the Creator wishes life to be lived.
Mary
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this story of a pastor and all his ups and downs. I like it most because he is talking on your level and because of his beautiful style of writing. His childhood was very interesting too.
Paul Pritschow
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

Enjoyed his unique perspective on life and admire the way he never gave up,and always maintained a sense of duty to help others learn about Christ.
Karen Hamer
Dec 12, 2016
Paula Boone
Aug 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Seven Laws of the Learner: How to Teach Almost Anything to Practically Anyone
  • Faith and Other Flat Tires: Searching for God on the Rough Road of Doubt
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • L'Abri
  • The Church Awakening: An Urgent Call for Renewal
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Prisoners of Hope: The Story of Our Captivity and Freedom in Afghanistan
  • Death And The Life After
  • How to Fast Successfully
  • Sermon on the Mount: An Evangelical Exposition of Matthew 5–7
  • Who Calls Me Beautiful?: Finding Our True Image in the Mirror of God
  • Mornings with Tozer: Daily Devotional Readings
  • The Power of Praying?: A 3-In-1 Collection *The Power of a Praying? Wife *The Power of a Praying? Parent *The Power of a Praying? Woman
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • What I Wish My Christian Friends Knew about Judaism
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
  • The Name
  • Anointing Fall on Me: Accessing the Power of the Holy Spirit

Calvin Miller has written over 40 books of popular theology and inspiration. A former pastor, he is professor of preaching and pastoral ministry at Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama. He and his wife, Joyce, have two grown children.
More about Calvin Miller...