Start by marking “Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward” as Want to Read:

How many times have you thought about starting a diet or quitting smoking without doing anything about it? Or lapsed back into bad habits after hitting a rough spot on the road to recovery?

To uncover the secret to successful personal change, three acclaimed psychologists studied more than 1,000 people who were able to positively and permanently alter their lives without ps
Published April 24th 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Changing for Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing for Good

Start your review of Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
7jane
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: when needing/wanting to get rid of a bad habit by yourself
(I'm thinking about changing a bad habit or a few, not just ones mentioned here. The book doesn't look much, but surprised me.)

This book is about overcoming bad habits-
like smoking, alcoholism, overeating, drug addiction, gambling issues, overworking, sexual irresponsibility, anxieties
- in 6 clear steps, though the authors clearly say that not all habit can be done without a professional therapist of some sort. That said, this is a pretty clear (it was meant to be quite simple), and amazingly st
Paul
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
In this book, James Prochaska provides a model of behavioral change that attempts to reconcile hundreds of other models; hence the name of Transtheoretical Model of Behavioral Change. It has been labeled as a "revolution in the science of behavior change" but I find the work important because it offers a simple framework in which much self-change can occur. The model is composed of six different stages and Prochaska points out that success in adapting a healthier behavior relies on the individua ...more
Carrie Mullins
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-researched yet common sense guide to changing bad habits. The authors explain six stages of change they recognized after studying thousands of people who have made positive changes on their own. These stages do indeed feel universal, and somehow remind me of Joseph Campbell distilling the universal phases of the Hero’s Journey after studying thousands of human stories. Anyone who wants to make a positive change would benefit from reading this. I’ll definitely be reading it twice.
Kara
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book changed my life, and I witnessed it change many others'. I worked at a therapeutic boarding school for troubled teens that used this book as an outline for their clinical model and it worked beautifully. I saw kids change in the 15 months that they were there. If you are a smoker, or trying to diet, or dealing with bipolar, depression, anxiety, or substance abuse - even family or attachment issues - this book can help you. Read it with an open mind - and take this from someone who is n ...more
Joshua Caraballo, PsyD
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book and all its contents. :-)
Tim
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How do people change? For generations, folk wisdom told us that changing an undesirable behvaior was a simple matter of "willpower."

But beginning in the 1980s, psychologists James Prochaska and Carlo DiClemente began research which would challenge the "simple willpower" model of change:

"Many people we have interviewed first tell us, 'I just woke up one morning and quit [smoking].' [But w]hen we ask more detailed questions, they begin to remember....[1] They remember the weeks prior to that fatef
Brandon Wilkins
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting study of how people change. In my opinion, from a Christian and Reformed perspective, it could supplement well a study on sanctification or counseling to someone stuck in addictions or bad habits.

Reformed Christians understand that true heart change is a work of grace, and yet there is always a human component to change. In biblical terminology, we do "work out" our salvation (though we do that because God "works in" us). And so one, I think, can read a book like this seeing i
Tyler
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
This book has some very fascinating and helpful insights into the processes of human change. The framework of dividing change into stages makes so much sense to me and the fact that different techniques for change work differently/better or worse during different stages was also a very helpful insight.

This book was very helpful for me to improve my understanding of how to more effectively change and move myself through the stages as I work on becoming healthier and other personal goals.

A very p
Kat Robey
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good overall and concrete look at the process of change-examples of smoking, drinking, and overeating as habits are used to address offer a framework to explore underlying reasons for the choices we make. Rather than thinking the book is only targeted to these three issues or habits—Case examples, studies, statistics, and exploration of psychological paradigms offer context such that the reader can apply strategies to ANY behaviors s/he would like to improve.
Caroline Abbott
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant. Do you ever wonder why someone just WON'T change? Could be they are not even contemplating change, they are in the pre-contemplative stage. Did you know there are different interventions that you should try with a person depending on the stage of change they are in? This book was so enlightening to me!
Michael McCluskey
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm taking a Habit Change 12-week online class for credit this Fall semester at the community college where I work. I appreciate the science, but it's much like most other such works, glossing over specifics. Interesting and useful for the habit I plan on confronting for the class, soda-drinking.
Diana
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
It was a good read, despite not the easiest. The way it was written was a bit boring.
Kurt
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent information on how we change and how to recognize where we and others are in the process of changing.
David Elizardi
Jun 13, 2019 marked it as good-reviews-and-sounds-interesting
Recd by Elizabeth - read during MAPP
John
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great book about change and how it happens (or doesn't). It takes a well documented approach that sets most of change theory on its head.

Conceiving of change as a multi-level, multi-faceted process instead of a one-time, winner-take-all decision is a significant shift (at least in my thinking) for individual change. Institutional and group change has seemed to work that way, but individual change has always seemed to work differently.

The additional insight of Prochaska's book is that the pro
Nic Brisbourne
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book this, completely changed my understanding of how people make difficult changes in behaviour. Processes draws on his clinical experience and academic research to identify the give phases of change:
- pre-contemplation (aka denial, not yet ready to contemplate change)
- contemplation (thinking about it, but not yet ready to change)
- preparation (committed to change and getting ready to start)
- action (in the midst of change e.g. just given up smoking)
- maintenance (i.e. avoiding relapse)

H
Elaine
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in 1994. If you have ever tried to break a bad habit or form a new good habit, this book will help you understand the six stages of change.

It provides insight into the process that can happen with and without professional help. These psychologists studied what was the difference between people who succeeded in making change and those that didn't. The insights were drawn from their clients and people who did not seek professional help in making change. The steps to successf
Professor
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: old-colony

I randomly picked this up while I was in my town library picking up DVDs. I was looking for a little help in motivation and I'd say it's a decent overview of the process people go through when changing. Needless to say, like anyone else, I have some habits/issues I'd like to address, so I thought this might help. Only time will tell but I think there are some good ideas here, even if I had to hold my nose and take the plunge (I'm not big on psychology or on self-help books that aren't really, re
Rinku
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! This takes the mystery out of what one needs to do to creating permanent behavior changes in your life. This looks at the process of change from all perspectives, the person who wants to change, the person who wants to inspire change, one who has failed to change etc..

I appreciate the depth of detail in each phase of change with the psychological analysis and actionable steps. I felt a connection to the personal narratives and appreciated the scientific support, though I ma
Judith
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This book talks about serious reasons for change such as drinking, drugs and the like.
My problem is complex. It has to do with how I deal with money. And since my spouse is effected by this it's gets even more complex.
I usually read books and give them away. This one I'm selving because I'll need to reread it to deal with the ongoing problem.
I learned that there are 4 steps to change and I'm in the 4th stage, maintenance. I felt good that I'm in the 4th stage until I realized I'll always be in t
Dwayne Roberts
A very rational methodology for self-improvement. Although easily adaptable for virtually any problematic self-behavior, it focuses mostly on smoking, alcoholism, and excessive weight. Many people - especially on January 1 - dive into a stage of action they're not prepared for, then fail and drop their good-intentioned regimen because of "a lack of will power". This very readable text explains the several stages of change all humans must participate in, and why a lack of will power is not necess ...more
Tanner
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read on understanding what prevents people from making actual changes in their lives. Some parts were a bit slow, but overall great read filled with many examples and ways to assess what stages of change you are in yourself. If someone is looking to make a change about their lives and have struggled in the past this book is for you. If you know someone in your life who has tried to changed and relapsed, then this book might be for you to better understand them and how you can help! Very th ...more
Kristen
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this because it was suggested for my Addictions class this summer. I've recently decided to make some changes in my own life, so it gave me some great ideas of how to continue in the action phase and be successful in maintenance. I also found some things that will help me with future clients, with whatever change they are looking to make. My mom is now reading it, so I hope it will inspire her to make some changes of her own!
Malbadeen
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was required reading for a class I took 3 weeks ago. The paper is due in 45 minutes, I've done nothing with the book aside from set an ocassional cup of coffee on it while I something that happened to be sitting next to it. I just can't make myself do it it. I really, really, really hate these types of books.
Bebe Burnside
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is a great book for anyone who had tried to change and can't figure out why they don't succeed. It breaks down the six steps of change and walks you through each one giving a simple assessment test to see where you are on that step. I really want to buy this one to keep on my reference shelf.
Dysmonia Kuiper
Although this book does not escape the triteness of the self-help genre, if one overlooks the cliches, it is surprisingly useful; albeit poorly edited (low birth weight is listed as a "chronic disease" associated with smoking nicotine). Overall, a worthwhile guide to change I will use for future reference.
Mary
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good. The topic was the psychology behind making permanent changes in your life (I.e., breaking bad habits) and the essential and proven process/steps to do so. Written by three well known psychologists, the process is backed by many studies and individuals' actual life changing experiences. A great book for inspiration and direction for making permanent lifestyle changes.
Daniel
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone seriously looking to commit to changing a behaviour of theirs. This is no simple self-help book, it forms the fundamental basis for changing behaviours today, particularly addictive ones. Even for those looking to solve things like procrastination or who don't consider themselves to need to effect any major change, READ THE DAMN BOOK AND DON'T PUT IT OFF!!
Kimberly Burnham
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful look at where I am on different issues I want to change. thank you for this wonderful input to my Health Coaching practice working with Parkinson's, Multiple sclerosis, ataxia and other nervous system and autoimmune issues.
Stephanie
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
My brother recommended it to me because he had to read it for a class and told me that it was quite informative. However, I found most of the "revolutionary" program to be common sense with a few good points thrown in.

• The Happiness Manifesto
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • Happiness: The Science Behind Your Smile
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements
  • Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases
  • Choices, Values, and Frames
  • Attention And Effort
  • Well-Being: Foundations of Hedonic Psychology: Foundations of Hedonic Psychology
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Coaching Psychology Manual
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • Happiness: Lessons from a New Science
  • The Pursuit of Perfect: How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Start Living a Richer, Happier Life
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
  • How Not to Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
  • The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles
  • Co-active Coaching 4th edition

News & Interviews

“Functional analysis: learn your ABC’s In addition to monitoring, try to track the events that immediately precede and follow your problem behavior. Do you drink more when something makes you feel angry? Lonely? Happy? What happens right after an angry outburst? Does the other person give in? Do you have a drink? Or do you withdraw to be alone? What makes you crave a piece of cake? How does eating it make you feel? This “functional analysis” can illuminate what is controlling the parts of your life that seem out of control. It is easy as A (antecedents) B (behavior) C (consequences). Antecedents can trigger a problem behavior, while the consequences reward or strengthen it, no matter how maladaptive it is.” 0 likes
“Yul Brynner’s” 0 likes