Start by marking “The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed, #1)

The Hidden King

(The Coming of Áed #1)

A mad king. A powerful, inhuman heir.
A young man endures the unimaginable to save his only family and unite a kingdom.

Áed dreams of escaping the misery of the Maze, the dismal city of his birth, but his love for his makeshift family—his partner, Ninian, and an orphaned boy named Ronan—compels him to stay.

When a crushing tragedy forces a new be
Published June 1st 2019 by E.G. Radcliff

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden King

Start your review of The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed, #1)
Maggie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
High fantasy, gritty danger, a promising city with a darker truth, a mad king, a heart-wrenching romance, and a spark of magic: it’s everything any fantasy reader could want.

The Hidden King is a one-night book: the kind I stay up way too late to finish because I simply must know what happens next. I found it impossible to put this book down; the plot is full of invigorating twists that kept the pages turning and my mind reeling.

There’s so much to love about this book, but my favorit
Jordan
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The Hidden King follows the story of Áed, a poor boy from the Maze. He lives with his partner Ninian and a little boy that they took in and sort of adopted, Ronan. The Maze sits at the bottom of a cliff, and at the top is a shining White city that holds the promise of a better life. After experiencing a tragedy, Áed and what is left of his family flee the Maze and seek refuge in the city atop the clifftop. Áed finds himself in a completely new world in which he finds new allies and a new destiny ...more
Lisa MK
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
The Hidden King was an enjoyable read. I found it to have a solid story and, overall, enjoyed the writing.

The story follows Aed, who experiences tragedy and decides to try to find a better life for himself and his family. He comes to find out that the idyllic picture he held for this new place isn’t what he thought it was. Through his journey he finds out some truths from his past that no one ever expected.

The author has good foreshadowing throughout the book. While the b
Nic
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.*

This book pulled me in on the first page and didn't let go until the very end (actually, it still has a grip on me--I will be eagerly awaiting the next book in the series!) The characters are believable and likable, the setting is described in rich detail, and the ending is satisfying while still leaving room for a sequel. However, the pacing felt a bit strange to me, and occasionally I had to go back and remind myself
Angela
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

From the time that I started The Hidden King, to the time that I finished, I was enthralled. E.G. Radcliff does a wonderful job at pulling you into the story and I found myself not wanting to put it down or wanting it to end.

This is a must read for any fan of high fantasy reads, YA or not. I cannot wait for the second book which will take us before the events of The Hidden King.
Alyssa Murphy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you love high fantasy, Celtic influences, and a good lost-heir story? If so, you'll love The Hidden King.

Aed lives in the downtrodden Maze with his found family, scraping to get by and dreaming of a life beyond the one he's known. When a terrible misfortune strikes close to home, Aed is fired up with the courage to leave, desperate to carve out a life for himself and his family away from the chaos, dirt, and danger of the Maze. He finds himself in the legendary White City, where t
Melissa McGhie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
E.G. Radcliff is an amazing and captivating storyteller. Without giving anything away I was drawn into this world she created from the first page. Her descriptions were so clear that I felt like I could visualize what was happening. Although some of the story is a bit predictable I still thoroughly enjoyed reading The Hidden King. There were many times I couldn't put it down and a few that I had to because the story was so intense. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because I persona ...more
Brittney's Review
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has a great feel with its narrative of over comming immense obstacles while staying true to yourself, no matter how many times that view is revised. It shows that finding compassionate people who can help along the way is a blessing and rising from nothing isn't always the most important thing but rather what you do once you've risen and remembering where you came from. The story line is unique and has a good pace that pulls the reader along for the adventure. The magical elements, mix ...more
Astrid V.J.
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The Hidden King is a classic rags to riches tale with a decent plot and fun characters. Unfortunately, E.G. Radcliffe relies heavily on stereotypes: the mad king, the friendly healer, stoic captain of the guard, self-absorbed upper-classes. This made a great deal of the story predictable, because important plot elements, just like the characters, were stereotypical. Everything fit into a neat box.

Furthermore, I was disappointed in the author's clear lack of understanding of bodily function. Her
Rosie Greenwell
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic fantasy read and different to what I’ve read in the past. An Original storyline that makes you want to read until you have read the book.

This is Aeds tale of rags to riches and how he manages to find his way, with young Ronan to the “white city” to improve their lives after living in the slums of the maze. Along the way he makes a loyal friend, Boudicca.

Definitely one to read if you are looking for something different that will keep you turning the pages until you have the entire b
Annezo
Oct 07, 2019 added it
I had my doubts about this storyline when I started the book, but after a couple of chapters I was hooked.

The plot is good, the world-building is interesting, and the potential for the series, based on this first book, is very good. The story moved a long way in this first entry and I'm hoping that's because the author has a great deal planned for these characters in their futures.

Definitely looking forward to the next volume.
Jackie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantasic debut novel a first in this series ! I read it quickly and really enjoyed it! i loved the storyline and hoping i dont have long to wait till the next book! Magic , romance and mystery all in one book this author put fntastic details in each character leaving you on the edge of your seat , a must read!!
Rebecca
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 star read

Nice dark fantasy. Plenty left open for more books,but MC has clear internal and external arcs. Writing is good and world building is subtle--tells me what I need when I need it. Would definitely want to read more.
Fabulous
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the beginning of the story very confusing and unnecessary. I felt like once Aed left the Maze the real story began. I enjoyed the story but felt like it could have had more depth.
Terry Stock
Ellie Wasson
Sep 30, 2019
nancy Lahmann
Oct 24, 2019
E.G. RADCLIFF IS AN INCURABLE WRITER, lifelong imaginer of worlds, and author of the first-in-series novel The Hidden King. An insatiable reader and researcher with a penchant for all things Celtic and a love of the mysterious and magical, she brings a knowing touch to her Young Adult fiction.

She enjoys adventure, reading on the train, and dreams about flying.

She is based in Illinois.