Start by marking “One of the Good Ones” as Want to Read:
One of the Good Ones

One of the Good Ones

The Hate U Give meets Get Out in this honest and powerful exploration of prejudice in the stunning novel from sister-writer duo Maika and Maritza Moulite, authors of Dear Haiti, Love Alaine.

ISN'T BEING HUMAN ENOUGH?

When teen social activist and history buff Kezi Smith is killed under mysterious circumstances after attending a social justice rally, her devastated sister Hap
Published January 5th 2021 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about One of the Good Ones, please sign up.
Kꌗꌗ
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of One of the Good Ones
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Once I got what was going on in this book I was really impressed with the writing and how it all pieced together. These sisters have such a unique and distinct writing style, and in this case they took on the task of jumping around in history and to different characters. For a bit I was kind of like why for some of the perspectives, but when it comes together it turns the story into something totally different than what I had expected and it was really fascinating. I don't want to say much more ...more
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
✧ you can read an excerpt of this book on my blog

To be honest, I am not much of a contemporary reader but when I am in the mood, this is the writing style that my brain mechanisms thrive in. It’s an understatement to say that I was touched.

I love that it was told in multiple perspectives with timelines switching before, during, and after the looming arrest that served as the catalyst for the plot. It created layers to the story and did a lot to build the relationships between the characters.

I
ScrappyMags
January 2021 reading starts with an INCREDIBLE read!

Shortest Summary Ever: Kezi Smith, a popular YouTube teen influencer, dies mysteriously and becomes a rallying case for a BLM-type movement. Kezi left behind a legacy and a family that wishes to preserve it, so sister Happi (who is anything BUT), older sister Genny , and Kezi’s bestie embark on a trip Kezi had planned out using the segregation-era Greenbook for Negro Motorists as a map. And then a crazy, life-altering ride begins.

Thoughts: Ther
Elle
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
This was my first read by author and sister duo Maika Moulite & Maritza Moulite, and I’m sure it won’t be my last! After the success of their debut Dear Haiti, Love Alaine, I was excited to see what their sophomore novel would include.

Written through the roving perspectives of four young women: Kezi, Happi, Shaqueria and Evelyn, we are told about America through the eyes of those who are most dismissed by it. The story picks up following the untimely death of Kezi Smith, who died suddenly after
BookOfCinz
THE HATE U GIVE meets GET OUT perfectly captures this book…. And more!

The book seeks to answer, who is one of the “good” ones and what exactly makes them a “good” one. Why are some considered good and others considered bad? As the blurb said, “Isn’t being human enough?”

In One Of The Good Ones we meet three sisters, Kezi, Happi and Genny. Kezi Smith is Social Activist with a strong YouTube following. On her channel she talks history and advocate for Black Lives. Off YouTube she has perfect
Berit☀️✨
"But we are more than the good ones. We are the bad ones. We are the okay ones. We are the amazing ones. We are the nothing-to-write-home-about ones. We are the beautiful ones. We are just...ones."

What a great book! Kezi is a popular YouTuber, a straight a student, a social activist, and the apple of her parents eye - she is “one of the good ones“. On Kezi‘s 18th birthday she goes against the wishes of her parents and attends a protest for a man who was recently killed by the police. Never expe
Toya (the reading chemist)
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHIT.

I am honestly still trying to process what I just read. I literally got hit with a mixture of Nic Stone, Angie Thomas, and Tiffany D. Jackson all at once with the dynamic sister duo of Maika and Maritza Moulite.

This book is INCREDIBLE. It is a poignant and timely story that tackles tough themes such as police brutality, systemic racism, grief, coming out to religious parents, historical Black trauma, and internalized racism.

One of the Good Ones seeks to dismantle the abhorrent ideol
h o l l i s
I had glimpsed a mention of a "twist" on the back of this book but had no idea what to expect for said twist. In fact I thought it was supposed to be something we learned fairly early on in the story, but just revealed on a bigger scale to other characters, but.. wow. I was so so wrong. I was so unprepared.

Right off the bat I'm going to recommend you check out any #ownvoices reviews for this one before reading mine because those opinions should definitely be ampified over my own. But also I thin
Drewthereader20
Wow another good book I read this month! I'm writing a reivew for this one later aka tonight. I have so much thoughts that it's hard to say how I felt about this book but just know that I loved this one! I finished it this morning at 6;30am and haven't read anything till now... What an amazing book!!!(:
Michelle
The premise behind the book is about how we judge people and their worth. Are they good students? Star athletes? Involved in community service? Are they beautiful? Talented? Are they considered "special" enough for their lives to matter and for us to fight for them when they encounter injustice? The Moulite sisters show how dangerous the well intentioned term "one of the good ones" can be.

For the vast majority of the book the Moulite sisters do a great job of fulfilling this purpose. They even
Lanae Anne
We are the amazing ones.
We are the nothing-to-write-home-about-ones.
We are the
Toria
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This definitely was an experience, an intense journey of emotions. I'm struggling on what to say about this, and I don't want to spoil anything. But that twist! Not gonna say more. ...more
Erin
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
 Thanks to NetGalley and InkYard Press for an egalley in exchange for an honest review.

When middle daughter and straight-A student, Kezi is tragically killed by police, her family is left grasping to accept her death. How could this happen to their daughter and sister? As surviving sisters, Genny and Happi decide to head out on a trip mapped out by Kezi, they examine key relationships, prejudice, and the grief of losing someone that you love.

This YA novel had me hooked from the very beginn
Sheena
Wow okay I gotta think about this one for a bit
BookDuck | Maddie
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
⭐️ 4 Stars ⭐️

SPOILERS AHEAD!! BEWARE!

One of the Good ones is such an incredible book that riveting story that follows Kezi, Happi and Genny who are three sisters. Kezi goes to a protest to protest the police brutality and the killing of an innocent African American man. Kezi gets arrest at the protest and ends up dying. This is the last time Genny and Happi get to see and talk to her sister. Before this Happi gets into an argument with Kezi and realizes these are the last words Kezi ever hea
Andy
THAT ENDING...IM CRYING

I read this for #DrToyasBuddyReads on Instagram!

This book was so freaking good. The ending, the authors' notes and just all the feels throughout this made me cry. Especially that authors' note. One of the Good Ones centers on the Smith family, namely the two youngest sisters: Happi and Kezi. Kezi is a teen activist and history buff who is killed under suspicious circumstances after attending a social justice rally. Happi and her family are left reeling after her death, an
Jacob Rundle
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ONE OF THR GOOD ONES is a one of the most powerful novels I’ve read in 2020! What can I say? The mystery. Intrigue. The way the authors incorporate prejudice into the story was so well done. I was blown away. Left speechless at how the characters grew over the course of the novel. The plot points were so so well done. The prose kept me glued to the story. I couldn’t put the story down! Five stars isn’t enough for this story.
Katie
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january-2021, audio
I think this is a book hangover.

This book merges family history with social justice issues that are still prevalent today, a coming-of-age story about a teenager coping with grief combined with a thriller twist that I, personally, did not see coming. And I am glad I didn't. The way this book blew my mind when Things were revealed was wild, and even now I swear I'm having heart palpitations because of it.

All the characters are beautifully, brilliantly written. We follow several different perspect
The Nerd Daily
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Emily M

One of The Good Ones was easily one of the best books I read in 2020 and should be featuring on many similar lists this year. It’s an emotional, impactful, and brilliant story that weaves the horrific realities of systematic and structural racism in both the past and present with an utterly compelling mystery.

Right from the start, you know you’re in for a ride, as it opens with an incredibly powerful author’s note. It reminds you that thi
Nev
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiap, 2021
Oof. This book hit me in my heart. It’s an interesting exploration of grief after a tragedy and the harmful way that some people deem one person’s life more important than another because they’re “one of the good ones.” I really enjoyed the complicated sister relationships that play out in this story, it felt like a raw and authentic portrayal. The book also brought in history in a fascinating way through using an old copy of the Green Book as a guide for a road trip. This is an incredibly hard- ...more
Never Without a Book
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-releases
I adored Dear Haiti and with their sophomore novel, One of the Good Ones, the Moulite sisters super excited my expectations. Told from multiple POVs—teen activist Keziah (Kezi), has a huge YouTube following and is ready to take her activism to the streets. Determined to help her community, Kezi attends a protest for the wrongful death of a Black man. During the protest Kezi is arrested and then dies in police custody. To commemorate her life and the work she was doing Keziah’s sisters, Genny, Ha ...more
Oyinda
Book 20 of 2021

"I know that existing as a human being on this earth should be enough to deserve respect and justice. But it isn’t. Instead, we focus on those we deem worthy, for whom we allow ourselves to feel the weight of their loss. We mention potential not reached or promise of greatness gone unfulfilled, while others are erased from existence all together.
We are the nothing-to-write-home-abou
Arica Eberle
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
✨ Book Review ✨

Hello to my first five star book of 2021. You read that right, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ FIVE STARS!

I will say this to the authors, thank you so much for creating this masterpiece. This book honestly made me really emotional over my relationship with my sister. We’re the best of friends and I am so thankful that I have her as my sister.

This was my first book by them and they now have a new fan! I will auto buy anything they come out with. And I will be adding their book Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Every life matters. To check off a set of boxes society deems worthy suggests otherwise. In this gripping YA, a pair of sisters determine their worth through a series of events where harrowing decisions and moments illustrate how each word and action counts.

I found this story often difficult to read - not because of writing style or plot - but because of how issues that should have died continue to plague people aching for peace - aching to matter.

4/5
Nat ⭐️
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anticipated-2021
Actual rating: 4.5 stars (rounded up)
TW: murder, arrests, police brutality, hate crimes, racial profiling, kidnapping, forced drug usage, vomitting, starvation, homophobia

I’ve been so excited to read this book, especially after seeing the author’s virtual event at my local bookstore Books & Books. I’ve had their debut on my TBR for ages, but this book intrigued me in particular because of its emphasis on sisterhood. This book is a really beautiful insight to grief, the people and legacies we lea
Katie.dorny
Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021, lgbtq
A murder mystery intertwined with the reality of a life being cut short by police brutality and the political activism associated with it. Sounds intriguing right?

After their sister Kezi passes away in a police station after protesting police brutality, her sisters embark on a road trip to honour their sister and uphold her legacy. Parts of the above were incredibly moving and I enjoyed getting to meet the family and Kezi’s friends.

The characters were built up well and I enjoyed the differing P
Teresa
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75 - 4.5 out of 5 stars. (Most likely a 3.75)
Eileen

This was definitely an emotional ride for me with some surprising developments and I was very impressed by how well the author wove the various threads together. Although I'm loving audiobooks more and more these days, I think I'm glad I read this one, partly because it is not a linear timeline and the POV shifts pretty frequently. Each section is clearly identified, though, so I didn't find myself getting at all confused. But now that I've read it, I would be interested in listening to
Alex
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 10-and-11
I was a bit confused upon seeing both "The Hate You Give" and "Get Out" in the description of this book and figured get out was there for social messaging reasons only and not actual plot vibes, but oh my god I was wrong. I don't want to give away the twist, but there's a lot more going on here than meets the eye. This book is a wonderful mix of information, social commentary, and anticipation.

I will say though, I wish there was a bit more time allotted post-twist. The multiple perspectives fina
Kim
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes there are books that try to do too much at once. They set lofty, complex goals and intertwine that with a YA storyline. And sometimes those books are good despite something. For the first half of reading #OneOfTheGoodOnes, I felt like it was one of those books. We follow members of the Smith family in a storyline that jumps before and after "the arrest" and Kezi, the middle sister's, death due to events surrounding protests of police brutrality. We follow Kezi, her younger sister Happi ...more

• Chlorine Sky
  • When You Look Like Us
  • Happily Ever Afters
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)
  • The Awakening of Malcolm X
  • This Train Is Being Held
  • Love Is a Revolution
  • Roman and Jewel
  • The Life I'm In
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • Spy School (Spy School, #1)
  • Persepolis, Volume 1
  • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • The Woman Outside My Door
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)

Articles featuring this book

Happy Black History Month! Literary fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, fantasy, sci-fi, short stories, and young adult novels: This...
“I know that existing as a human on this Earth should be enough to deserve respect and justice. But it isn't. Instead, we focus on those who we deem worthy, for whom we allow ourselves to feel the weight of their loss. We mention potential not reached or promise of greatness gone unfulfilled, while others are erased from existence all together.
We are the amazing ones.
We are the nothing-to-write-home-about-ones.
We are the beautiful ones.
We are just...ones.”