Start by marking “Seeing Things” as Want to Read:
Seeing Things

Seeing Things

Abby Gillman has discovered that with growing up, there comes a lot of blood. But nothing prepares her for the trail of blood she sees in the hallway after class - or the ghost she finds crammed inside an abandoned locker.

No one believes Abby, of course. She’s only seeing things. As much as Abby wants to be believed, what she wants more is to know why she can suddenly see
Published June 23rd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Things

Start your review of Seeing Things
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I know I sound like a broken record to those who follow my reading journey but for the sake of those who might be reading one of my reviews for the first time, let me just say:
I love coming-of-age horror. I especially love a female protagonist coming-of-age horror story with delicious supernatural elements and paranormal activity.
SEEING THINGS by Sonora Taylor is about a young girl named, Abigail "Abby" Gillman. Around the same time she starts seeing some changes in her developing body, she beg
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Seeing Things is a genuinely creepy tale about a young lady named Abby who sees dead people! As if middle school weren’t tough enough. Sheesh, this poor kid!

Abby first sees a trail of blood in the school hallway. Blood no one else sees (ahhh) which leads her to a locker and more horror that again only she can see. No one seems concerned with her story because locker #751 is infamous and the stories aren’t real. Or that’s what’s she’s told. Fortunately, school is out for the summer, and Abby can
Well Read Beard
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Sonora Taylor does it again. Really, this is my first experience with Sonora's longer fiction having not done Without Condition yet. Simply put, this is a gorgeous novel. From Doug Puller's cover all the way through to the last page, absolutely beautiful story-telling.

Abby is growing up and Abby is seeing things. She realizes that blood is a part of becoming a woman, but the blood she is seeing is of a completely different nature. Abby can see the dead. Yes, I know, stop right there. For about 2
Emily
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Seeing Things is my third book by Sonora Taylor, and I really enjoyed it! This is a great seasonal summer horror read, and you should definitely add it to your list. I had a lot of fun reading this one, and I would love to read more stories about Abby if they ever exist!

CW - suicide, abuse
Steve Stred
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Sonora Taylor first came onto my radar with her release ‘Without Condition.’ It was a book I didn’t expect to like, but end up loving. She followed that up with her amazing collection ‘Little Paranoias: Stories,’ which featured one of the greatest short stories of all time in ‘Weary Bones.’

When news broke of her next release arriving, I was excited to see what she conjured up with ‘Seeing Things.‘ When the cover was revealed, my excitement grew even more so.

What I liked: In ‘Seeing Things‘
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lohf, owned
If you are the kind of reader who is into a story with flashes of urban legends, dark family secrets, murder, and ghosts... then this is the book for you! I FLEW through this story as Sonora Taylor is fantastic author and made that easy for me. I found myself "ooooh!" at the first chapter as I cozied down deeper into my couch with a cup of coffee. And I did not move until I finished it! Taylor creates a likable teen protagonist with a "gift" of seeing things. Ghosts, to be more specific. Highly ...more
Ross Jeffery
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Updated as now live on STORGY.com

Seeing Things by Sonora Taylor is one hell of a creepy offering, one that is full of dread and menace but one which is also intrinsically beautiful in the macabre – this in part is due to the masterful storytelling one comes to expect from Taylor. Given her beautifully crafted vision that was Little Paranoias I went into this offering expecting great things, and I was rewarded for my persistence in wanting to read everything Sonora Taylor puts out.

I also need to
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
This coming-of-age horror story follows Abby, a preteen who begins seeing something no one else can—dead people. Yeah, it sounds like something you might have heard before, but this is a refreshing take I quite enjoyed. Abby doesn’t spend a lot of time freaked out by her new gifts. Instead, she’s interested in finding out more. Why is she seeing the ghosts? Why do all of them seem to hate her? And what are they doing in her uncle’s basement!?

This novella is a perfect summer afternoon read. Horro
Cassie Daley
In SEEING THINGS, Abby is your average 13-year-old girl dealing with normal, everyday teenage life: overprotective parents, school woes, and "the joys of becoming a woman". Her average life takes a sudden turn one day when she follows a trail of blood down a school hallway and sees something she can't explain: her first ghost, a dead girl her own age that's been brutally shoved into an old locker. The kicker? The ghost doesn't want to be seen, and definitely doesn't want to see Abby. What's wors ...more
Laurel
Seeing Things is, quite simply, the perfect ghost novel. There is a wonderful mix of well drawn and relatable humanity and spine tingling ghost encounters that made this an absolute joy to breeze through. That doesn't mean it's fluffy, however - there are some beautifully depicted family relationships here, flawed characters, and serious scares. There's also a completely novel twist on the idea of seeing ghosts, and how a person would interact with them. Add in some creepy urban legend material ...more
Suzy Michael
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given this book by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

This is my third foray down the literary road with Sonora Taylor and each time before she did not disappoint, and once again, her second novel doesn't either.

Abby Gillman has discovered that with growing up, there comes a lot of blood. But nothing prepares her for the trail of blood she sees in the school hallway after class- or the ghost she finds crammed into an empty locker.
No one believes Abby of course. She's th
Troy
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler-free review of Sonora Taylor’s Seeing Things
Reviewed as part of the #FrightGirlSummer book festival

Seeing Things is a coming-of-age story about thirteen-year-old Abby who has a problem: she can see ghosts while others can’t.

Like many, I enjoy a frightening, compelling ghost story, particularly one that sticks with (or haunts) you long after you’ve finished the book. Seeing Things does this superbly.

Before you think this story is a spin on the movie with that boy who can see dead people,
Chris Mccormick
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading and reviewing this before it's release.

Seeing Things follows a 13-year-old named Abby trying to make it through middle school. We can all relate that middle school is hell enough, but what about seeing rude ghost that turn their backs on you? I’ll say the beginning was a little slow but as we build up steam it takes off.

So, Abby is looking forward to spending some time in the summer with her Uncle Keith. Her and Uncle Keith haven’t seen each other in 4 years. She’s
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Seeing Things is my third book to read by Sonora Taylor. Her previous releases Without Condition {review} and Little Paranoias {review} are favorites among the Ladies of Horror Fiction team.

I'm so happy Taylor has gifted us with a ghost story. Combining my favorite horror element (ghosts) with her storytelling really put me in my happy place with this one!

Seeing Things follows Abby Gillman as she begins "seeing things" that others claim are just her imagination. Weighing in at under 200 pages, S
Heather Horror Hellion
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You know growing up is already hard.
Now imagine growing up and adding ghosts into the mix..
Imagine the ghosts not even wanting anything to do with you.

This story is about Abby not Abs those are muscles. Abby is growing up balancing school, family issues, and ghosts.

The way the author writes about the victims was perfect. It was detailed enough to let you get a picture, but not so graphic that you feel uncomfortable. I really appreciated that as someone who works with that age range.

There are
Sara Tantlinger
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling mystery from start to finish! I really enjoyed the strong, imperfect characters throughout the book -- they felt real and I could feel the pain each individual went through as they came face-to-face with their fears, flaws, and with each other. Taylor is so good at using misdirection and different clues that create a highly intriguing plot where you think one thing might happen, but something else does. Abby is a wonderful character, and I loved how the book shows her in a coming-of- ...more
Robert Mikkelson
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy a good ghost story and Sonora Taylor’s Seeing Things takes it to a place of beautiful melancholy. This book offers up a coming-of-age story set against some very disturbing visions. This is the first book I’ve read by Taylor and it surely will not be my last.

Abby Gillman can see the dead, but nobody at home or at her school believes her. It doesn’t matter that there is a body stuffed in a locker at school, or there is a boy nobody can see in the lunchroom. Making matters worse is
Erin Al-Mehairi
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come. This was the best of Sonora’s books I’ve read to date. I was totally absorbed in it. I’d love her to write more of these! Possibly with Abby at the helm again wine would be cool.
Meredith Morgenstern
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this book to myself at 13 years old. It's the heir to "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret," for those of us who skewed more Lydia Deetz than Sweet Valley High twins.
Cat Voleur
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so honored when Sonora Taylor contacted me to see if I'd be interested in receiving an ARC edition of the book to read and review. I've been a fan of her writing since earlier in the year when I reviewed 'Little Paranoias' for work and have just been tearing through her content.

So of course I accepted.

I was expecting/hoping for a horror novel akin to the eerie stories featured in her collections. As usual I was surprised by what I read, but not disappointed.

'Seeing Things' is exactly the b
Sam (The Literary Hooker)
**Review originally published HERE on Sci-Fi & Scary.**

Sonora Taylor is an author who has been on my radar for quite a while, but somehow Seeing Things is my first experience with her long fiction. I have no idea how I went so long without reading her novels, because I can assure you, I was definitely missing out! Seeing Things is an incredible novella that puts a fresh spin on the “I see dead people” trope.

Seeing Things centres on 13-year-old Abby and her family. Abby is at that age where thing
Brennan LaFaro
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Last year, I was lucky enough to get access to an early copy of Little Paranoias, Sonora Taylor’s collection that came out in October. It’s no exaggeration to say that everything about it worked for me. From the poems to the flash fiction to the longer form stories, even the curation of the order was well done. How does this relate, you say? I was dying to find out what this author could do with a novel-length story.

Fast forward seven months, and I hold in my hand, Seeing Things, A Novel by Sono
Heather
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sonora Taylor’s Seeing Things is every bit as good as her Without Condition, and I loved that book. She has a knack for taking well-used story elements like serial killers or seeing ghosts and turning them into something more.

Abby is thirteen years old and wants to visit her Uncle Keith and Aunt Sandra over her summer vacation. Keith plans to spend the summer renovating the old family homestead, and would be happy to have her help. Of course, things aren’t going entirely well these days. Sandra
Shawn Mcmahon
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the first 20 pages before bed last night and the remaining pages in one marathon sitting today. Family obligations had to wait because I needed to know how this was going to go!

13-year-old Abby discovers she has the ability to see dead people when she discovers the ghost of a dead girl stuffed in a locker in the book's chilling opening pages. I expected the ghosts to reach out to Abby for help but this story puts a unique spin on the concept by having the ghosts completely disinterested i
Baker St Shelves
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first you might think this is a scary story since it does feature ghosts. However, for the most part the ghosts are very downplayed and instead is about a cold case series of murders with Abby and her uncle Keith trying to solve them.
I like how very slow paced this book was, with not having any over the top scares and using more quiet intimate scenes to draw the reader and showing the relationship with Abby and Keith. Good use of a mystery with nice clues and leads that we’re told in a natura
Tiffany Brown
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am impressed with how much mystery, creep factor, emotion, and BLOOD Sonora Taylor packed into Seeing Things. For such a slim novel, it packs a punch and leaves you feeling completely satisfied as a reader. Seeing Things is at once an inventive take on ghost stories and a coming-of-age tale that weaves supernatural sightings and real-world, human horrors into a hell of a novel. Get ready to believe in ghosts and come face-to-face with the things that haunt us! Highly recommend.
Norman
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed ts book. The main character came off as a very realistic teenager and the story is very good. My only drawback is I didn't find any of the adult characters as likable, but the main character made up for that.
Samuel
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked the first half but hated the rest. I really didnt like any of the characters and not the plot either. Idk, I still want to try another book by this author cause I dont think this is a case of just bad writing, I think it just wasnt for me
Regina
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was well-written, original, and believable. I've been looking for new (to me) writers to read, and this book was just what I needed. Abby was a believable main character, and the relationships she had with her family rang true. The story drew me in, and the writing kept me there. Highly recommended.

• Crossroads
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
  • White Pines
  • Halloween Season
  • Devil's Creek
Sonora Taylor is the award-winning author of Little Paranoias: Stories, Without Condition, The Crow’s Gift and Other Tales, Please Give, and Wither and Other Stories. Her short stories have appeared in multiple publications, including Camden Park Press’s Quoth the Raven, Kandisha Press’s Women of Horror Vol. 2: Graveyard Smash, The Sirens Call, Frozen Wavelets, Mercurial Stories, Tales to Terrify, ...more