Start by marking “Your First Year in Code” as Want to Read:
Your First Year in Code

Your First Year in Code

Starting a career in programming can be intimidating. Whether you're switching careers, joining a bootcamp, starting a C.S. degree, or learning on your own, Your First Year in Code can help, with practical advice on topics like code reviews, resume writing, fitting in, ethics, and finding your dream job.
Published July 22nd 2019 by Leanpub

To ask other readers questions about Your First Year in Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your First Year in Code

Start your review of Your First Year in Code
Manuel Antão
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

p.name = (strcpy, "Manuel Augusto Antão"): "Your First Year in Code" by Isaac Lyman

Newbie: "But how do computers understand the code inputed into them? How were they made to understand the code?"
Me: "they don't. it is the compiler's job to do that and turn it into an array of 1s and 0s called Machine Code. The computer's job is to execute the Machine Code."
Newbie: "So, how does the compiler know how to translate text into binary?"
Me:
Sylwia
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not a developer, I'm more into design, but I am looking to improve my skills in Html/CSS. I stumbled upon this book and I loved it! It is simple, packed with tips but easily understandable for those like me who know next to nothing about programming.

There are sections about history, about code conventions, about what to study and what not to, about looking for a job in development etc. It is not a very long book but it's better like this, too long would have been too many information while
Md. Jamal Uddin
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
We all write codes. because we are programmers/coders/developers/software engineers. we have a dream to change the world through our special codes or applications. we all wanted to be better / seniors / whatever you wanted. but we fall into imposter syndrome in our first year of code life. we feel the anxiety for some reason and can not produce good code and the final result is our product can not see the face of the sun. we have to overcome those situations but we do not know how can we ...more
Adrian Skar
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web
"Programs must be written for people to read and only incidentally for machines to execute."

Very welcoming guide into coding with several perspectives from different authors that helps you understand and get a first view of the whole field without being too specific. Chapters are independent and let you focus on what you wan't or need to know without having to follow any fixed path.

Very helpful.
Scot
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
What a terrific resource for folks either thinking about getting into tech or who are newly working in the field. If you are an engineer or work with engineers, this book gives you an understanding of what you need to be successful and happy in your chosen field.
Doug Jenkinson
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book when I first started coding. Full of stories, some history, and some career advice.
I wish I had this book when I first became a leader - to help remind me what my peers and team members were thinking when they started.
Magali
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, coding, non-fiction
A very good book about learning to code. A great ressource I wish I could have had six months ago when I began my coding journey.
Viet Duc
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career
I wish I had this book back when I first started learning to code. The book title says it all. For new programmers having their first year in code, I strongly recommend this book.
Sope Williamson
This can be really helpful for those who want to start learning how to code.
Glenn
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific book filled with tips and real life experiences shared by multiple writers. A must read for anyone interested in programming, starting with it or in their junior years.
Q. D.
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
This is a helpful read, both for understanding what to expect in the first year and how to optimize it. Code is just a tool for implementing algorithms that solve user problems. Consequently, code is best used in the social context of communicating with those we work for. We should work together as a team to understand various demands and desires and translate them into a coherent idea and 'application' everyone understands, including the computer.
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice quick read with some helpful advice and references.
Connor Ocampo
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mark
Aug 05, 2019
Sarah-louise Raillard
Aug 01, 2019
Isaac Lyman
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Alejandro Castañeda
Dec 09, 2019
Praveen Venigalla
Jul 27, 2019
Andrea
rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2019
Mohammed
Dec 22, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please add myself as contributor to existing book 4 23 Nov 24, 2019 05:10AM

• Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World
  • The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job
  • Permanent Record
  • The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons and an Unlikely Road to Manhood
  • The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship
  • 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know - Extended
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • Miami Blues (Hoke Moseley #1)
  • Vicky Angel
  • Git for Humans (A Book Apart #17)
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • New Erotica for Feminists: Satirical Fantasies of Love, Lust, and Equal Pay
  • Java for Dummies [With CDROM]
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »