Start by marking “You Say It First” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  32 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Meg has her entire life set up perfectly: her boyfriend Mason is sweet and supportive, she and her best friend Emily plan to head to Cornell together in the fall, and she even finds time to clock shifts phonebanking at a voter registration call center in her Philadelphia suburb. But everything changes when one of those calls connects her to a stranger from small-town Ohio, ...more
Expected publication: June 16th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 16, 2020
    An addictive, irresistible YA novel about two teens from different worlds who fall for each other after a voter registration call turns into a ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1871 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 17 - Mar 16, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about You Say It First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Say It First

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of You Say It First
    Romie
    Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    the aesthetic of this cover said romie rights and i'm so here for this
    Jan 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
    I didn't even know this was a thing until I started browsing through Edelweiss looking for e-ARCS and stumbled upon this. I've never read a Katie Cotugno book before, but this sounded so up my alley and I couldn't pass on it.

Oh, and EDELWEISS CAME THROUGH FOR ME AND APPROVED ME FOR A COPY OF THIS YEE-HAW!!!
    Sanna
    Oct 07, 2019 marked it as unreleased  ·  review of another edition
    7 October 2019
    Nooo... I have to wait until June 2020. It’s only October. This sounds soo interesting and I want to hold this book in my hands. You can never get to much of romance-contemporary. Well, that’s at least my thought. The cover is soo cute as well.
    Mary
    Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    I’m in love with this cover! And the synopsis sounds so fun!!!
    mika
    Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    loo-look at the cover of this book. it said mika rights
    The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
    This book does give me some Morgan Matson ThUnexpected Everything Vibes. I am curious to find out how the long distance relationship works out. Also, that cover is super cute.
    Kimberly Kowalski
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    3.5 Stars

This book does a wonderful job of showing how easy it is to ignore your own personal bias and unconscious prejudices. It shows how putting yourself out there and engaging with people you don't always agree with can help you grow as a person and learn from your past mistakes.

You Say It First delves into two teens' lives with less than happily ever after backstories. A boy from an 'average' American household with a touch of apathy and cynicism (not entirely unfounded) and a girl from an
    || Soph ||
    Oct 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    this cover is so aesthetic i am livid
    Lydia Gompper
    Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: contemporary
    This book was solidly good. Not brilliant, not life-changing, nothing wow-worthy, but a genuinely enjoyable read.

Pitched as a timely, politically-infused romance, You Say It First was actually a sweet story about two teens from very different backgrounds maneuvering their traumas, learning to take chances, and finding their own paths. Honestly, despite the EVERY VOTE COUNTS sign on the cover, politics was really a very small part of this book – a single brick in a house otherwise constructed
    Gail
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    There are certain writers whose voice you fall hard for, and Katie Cotugno is one of those writers for me. I’ve read almost every one of her YA novels, and with each one I've found pieces of my teenage self reflected back to me through her characters.

It’s impossible to travel back in time and hand a tote filled with Katie’s books over to the version of my 16-year-old self blasting Dave Matthews in her bedroom. So instead, I’ll announce plans to 1) buy them all for my daughter someday and 2)
    Allison
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: teen
    I had so much fun reading this! I really got sucked in and couldn't put it down-- I wanted everything to work out for these two crazy kids, and I loved the theme of venturing outside your bubble and connecting with someone who's had a totally different life.

Too, the depiction of the fragile early stages of a relationship between two 18-year-olds was so spot-on for me... every time things got a little rough, one or the other of them was ready to bail-- and that's SO exactly how it is when you're
    Marine Jardonnet
    Katie Cotugno is the master of fierce, feminist YA contemporaries with complicated love stories. Meg is a senior in high school phonebanking at a voter registration call center when she calls Colby, a boy living in a small Midwestern town and reeling from a family tragedy. They forge an unexpected connection despite their differing passions and lifestyles, growing closer over long-distance phone calls.

I loved Meg and Colby, who were candid, passionate, and earnest. Katie never fails to write
    Laura Mauro
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    *I got this book for my honest thoughts from the publisher*

I went into his book with lower exceptions because I did not love the first book I read by this author. I really enjoyed this book. I loved how this book dealt with topics that are not often addressed in YA book but especially policies and how to be a in reationship with people who don't have the same beliefs as you. I really was super invested in both characters POV. I really bought into the romance as well and found the characters to
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020, arc, june
    The lonely “where do I turn?” feelings the characters experienced while dealing with major family issues and the transition from high school to whatever is next, packed an emotional punch. I could relate to the genesis of Colby and Megs friendship, and it took me back to my high school experience where for a time I relied heavily on an unlikely long distance friend.

If I was to rate this book based on its coming of age story I’d give it a 4. If I was rating it on the romance, I’d give it a 3. I
    Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
    Dec 04, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
    Thank you HarperCollins and Balzer+Bray for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
    Alyssa Thomas
    I NEED THIS BOOK ASAP
    Fanna
    Dec 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
    - "a voter registration call turns into a long-distance romance" WHAT OMG
    - summer romance during election season
    - slut-shaming & bullying issues are raised
    Rachel Rothe
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    So cute and well written. Believable and relatable characters and a unique plot with equal parts romance, politics, friendship, and family. Highly recommend!
    Felicia Mathews (Bookishly Slytherclaw)
    Advanced copy provided by the publisher through edelweiss. RTC!
    Maria
    Rachel Reeves
    Dec 07, 2019
    Sandra
    Jan 04, 2020

• The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
    • Echoes Between Us
    • If I Never Met You
    • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
    • My Best Friend’s Royal Wedding
    • The Starless Sea
    Katie Cotugno is the New York Times bestselling author of messy, complicated, feminist love stories. She studied Writing, Literature and Publishing at Emerson College and received her MFA in Fiction at Lesley University.

Katie is a Pushcart Prize nominee whose work has appeared in The Iowa Review, The Mississippi Review, and Argestes, among others.

The great loves of her life include child's pose,