Start by marking “Why Don't We Learn from History?” as Want to Read:
Why Don't We Learn from History?

Why Don't We Learn from History?

"A must read for both the people & the leaders of ALL the dictatorial regimes around the world (democracies would also surely benefit). A book for all times to come. His understanding & explanation of where the real power lies is outstanding. What s breathtaking is how relevent his arguments are today & how strikingly similar the working of all governments turn out to be ( ...more
Published October 12th 1972 by George Allen & Unwin Ltd. (London) (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Why Don't We Learn from History?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Don't We Learn from History?

Start your review of Why Don't We Learn from History?
Mike
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
I give it around 3.5 stars. This book is about why we don't learn from the history of war. Liddell argues that the history of war is the most important of all history and should be studied more in depth by universities. It is easy to see as the world would be very different if someone else had won or lost a war. I have to admit it's not an easy read, but what I did understand I liked a lot. I will definitely read it again and my rating will most likely go up when I do. Even though the book is de ...more
Ajay
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thought
The first.... 85% of this book maybe, is worthy of five starts, the rest is rather.... odd. Nonetheless, I do recommend the first 85% to most most people, especially after the events of this year (2016). We need a refresher on what Hart set out to teach us in this book.
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
Even tho it's short as feck it does ramble on a bit towards the end.

Fantastic first half of the book though.
Jorė
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wars have always been part of history that disinterested me most, but this book gives good points of why they are worth more attention. I've enjoyed the topics on loyalty, obedience and tradition of faking history in the military but some parts didn't hold my attention at all. Maybe because names of the generals and references to famous fights just don't ring the bell - due to my lack of education, probably.
I'm not sure if he gives a clear answer of "why don't we learn from history", but he clea
Tyler Tidwell
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
The title is a little misleading. This short book is really just Hart editorializing on a wide array of subjects, the study and methodologies of history being just one of them. That being said, he writes well and has some interesting (though not overblown) opinions that have proved relatively prescient when one examines world events over the last 50 years. It’s not feasible to summarize the book due to its ranging nature, but here are a few of his more interesting points:

-Any honest, experienced
JP
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An incisive look back from a guy who saw a lot and thought it might help to jot down a some notes that might help people in the future. Insightful and pithy on subjects as diverse as lunch, religion, and nonconformity, but follows a common thread in its intense interest in human nature - which is Hart's dismal answer to the question his title poses. He hopes his readers, at least, can learn.
Steven
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And insightful little book about the lessons we often fail to learn from military and political history.

I feel the book made some unwarranted leaps (based on his personal views which, however much I agree with them, were largely unsupported by the text). In general, I thought he could've spent a bit more time on specific examples and especially on the 'what is to be done?' aspect, which gets scant treatment beyond the idea of a super-national body (like the UN). It could've been 150 pages or 20
Abdelhamid K.
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
"Truth is a spiral staircase. What looks true on one level may not be true on the next higher level..."

"...Ascending the spiral, it can be seen that individual security increases with the growth of society, that local security increases when linked to a wider organization, that national security increases when nationalism decreases and would become much greater if each nation's claim to sovereignty were merged in a super-national body."

Outstanding! Hard not to relate to the current world events.
Vladimir Boronenko
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it, great stuff. An extremely thoughtful book, and very readable, neatly divided into short easy-to-digest chapters. The subject matter is "the art of war", the author being a historian of war. He took a practical part in historical events, and saw how history was made - as well as how it was falsified. Many remarks of his - on compulsion in world affairs, on democracy and dictatorship, on irregular warfare, for example - are quite relevant and timely now (written over 50 years ag ...more
Jon Nguyen
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strategy
This was a decent read, though not exactly what I was expecting. It turns out that the title is more of a lamentation, rather than a question that the author makes any attempt at answering.

The first part of the book is about why it's important to learn from history, something that you probably will agree with if you're reading it in the first place. Most of the rest of the book talking about specific lessons from history, which are useful, and make it a worthwhile read.

Towards the end of the b
Cassidy DeAngelis
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although it is a short book, I have to admit it is not one you breeze through. Liddell argues why the wars in our history deserve more attention and should be studied more in-depth in universities. The book is full of name dropping of generals and references to famous fights, which can be tough to follow if you're not familiar with our country's smaller wars. I found myself googling certain names and specific wars i wasn't as familiar with more often than I thought. Overall, a very thought-provo ...more
Matthew Kuhlman
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick and interesting read from a well known historian of warfare and strategy. BH Liddell Hart makes a few points based on the idea that too often we ignore the lessons of history. If nation's were to stick to values, morals, and collective instead of individual interests, in theory, the world would get a long better. Liddell Hart doesn't bother to dispell tht conflict is entirely avoidable, but it could be more 'limited' in scale. Initially written in 1944, it remains relevant today. Will li ...more
Joshua Hunt
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
“It is strange how people assume that no training is needed in the pursuit of truth.” — p. 125

Wow...

First book of its kind that I’ve read in my adult life. Just... fascinating. This fairly small read (126 pages in my 2019 Edition) was slow going and challenging at several parts given the varying subject matter, but worth the trip in the end. I feel better for it, like having just finished a solid long distance run.

Recommend to the discerning and experienced reader.

From page 93:
“Whoever habitual
Kathryn
This is mostly a discussion of military history, which isn’t particularly interesting to me, but the core philosophy of it, which basically boils down to please endeavor to be decent to each other and stand up for the truth rather than national and historical myths, is lovely. There are some digressions about the American Civil War that’s grossly leave out the question of race and the language is gendered in a way that is strange to a modern ear, but obviously it’s a relic of its time.
Rob
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating book. Mainly written in the aftermath of WW2, it offers an enlightening look at history and how wars have successively taught us nothing.

What's also striking is how pertinent a lot of the writer's observations are based on the current political climate.

Hard going at times, but I enjoyed it.
Isaac
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent look behind the dates and locations of history to motivating factors and root causes. An illustration of what the study of historical events is meant to bestow on the student, not a list of dates, places, and names but an understanding of why, and whether or not the outcome was worthy of pursuit.
Benson Okinyi Aseto
Eliminating and thought provoking

I liked the flow of information and the in-depth knowledge of the subject. Very thought provoking.
The writing is intricate and for most might be a challenge to take in.
This book requires general reading for any serious reader who would like to learn deeper meaning of historical dogma
Gemma Milne
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a fascinating read - I wrote all over it as was having so many different ideas and thoughts as I read! It's so true that history always stays relevant. Only bit I didn't like was his bit about religion but you have to bear in mind when it was written. Highly recommend.
Rohit
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Mostly insightful stuff, looking forward to his other book on military strategy.
John Coe
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Profound perspective from a British historian who served in WW1 & wrote this in the 1960s. His question is relevant today, as we still wage war without reflecting on history's lessons. ...more
Martin Novak
hard language...try later
Oliver
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first section on the unreliability of the historical records was great. The rest was fine, but less relevant to applications outside of warfare than I'd been lead to expect.
Gerrit G.
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
realistic and anti-bs reflection on military history as-well-as the relation from the military towards the society and the gov
Yazeed Alrasheed
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
The last couple of pages is amazing.'
David Benkert
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An update to The Art of War.
Tanner
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting musings

A book about politics, power, history, and religion. I thought it had some insightful thoughts on history. Short, easy read.

Ryan Young
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worldview
Military Historian laments humanity's lack of respect for history. Not only that, but he acknowledges how difficult it is to get a clear view of history, in order to learn from it. We need legions trained in the pursuit and communication of historical truth, else humanity will never grow up. Imagine waking up as a 7 year old with no memory of your previous years? You might age, but you won't grow. Not unless you can draw on your own history. Aristotle said that people acquire traits by exercise ...more
Erik Graff
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Liddell Hart fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
I picked this up from a friend who had obtained many copies of relatively old British books, a friend who later helped me get a job working nights at the emergency room of Evanston Hospital while I was just starting, part-time, as an administrator at Loyola University Chicago. That was back in 1983. It sat in my shelves until, having learned something about its author, the military historian, I wanted something serious I could read in a single sitting.
Ties
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Picked this up based on a recommendation and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a book about history from the perspective of someone who was actually involved in both world wars. The author shares some remarkable insights into state craft and politics and is able to expand this practical view into philosophy. Very interesting book that is 'very readable'.
Ben Bartlett
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised this book isn't more popular in conservative circles. Hart makes an excellent case for history as a powerful guide to simple principles for life... seek and speak the truth, live with ambition and self restraint, interact with self sacrifice and consistency of ethics. Fascinating read which I expect to return to.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Request 3 19 Jun 16, 2014 11:40AM

• How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer
  • Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
  • Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and a Gentleman, 1746-47
  • The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus: A Roman Slave
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Rethinking Narcissism: The Secret to Recognizing and Coping with Narcissists
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • قصة الأشراف وابن سعود
  • أرقام فارس : لمحات اقتصادية لغير المختصين
  • The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • I Am Football: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
  • ‫الأمير؛ القصة السرية للأمير الأكثر إثارة للاهتمام في العالم الأمير بندر بن سلطان‬
  • I Think Therefore I Play by Andrea Pirlo
  • بدائع الفوائد
  • Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
Sir Basil Henry Liddell Hart usually known before his knighthood as Captain B. H. Liddell Hart was an English soldier, military historian and leading inter-war theorist.

News & Interviews

“Loyalty is a noble quality, so long as it is not blind and does not exclude the higher loyalty to truth and decency.” 11 likes
“If you wish for peace, understand war.” 7 likes